General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

onewheeldoin200
Your girlfriend likes my crotch rocket better

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep
I got a Kawasaki KLR650 as my first bike, and the amount of power is just right. It has also forgiven a few low-speed falls on the dirt.

Those bikes are

They have a really high seat though do they not?

Passion > Precision

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Applejuice

Quote:
One final rule: whenever passing another motorcyclist, a polite wave is required. Itís somewhat of an unwritten law, and almost like a secret handshake. Those silly fools in the cars donít know what theyíre missing.
I HATE HATE HATE when people don't wave back! (Usually R6/Gixxer squids)

onewheeldoin200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuice
I HATE HATE HATE when people don't wave back! (Usually R6/Gixxer squids)

QFMFT!!!

I always find that when I'm on my dad's Suzuki cruiser, the Harley guys don't wave either because I'm obviously not a "real" rider

Passion > Precision

Rancidpunk666

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheeldoin200
QFMFT!!!

I always find that when I'm on my dad's Suzuki cruiser, the Harley guys don't wave either because I'm obviously not a "real" rider
harley people really piss me off...............

they think they are better, when in reality their mullet pushrod motors are out dated and underpowerd and make the most hideous noise ever.....

they are just jealous
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings

VanFanel
THERE IS NO DATA HERE - NONE AT ALL! \o/

Very awesome thread. I am looking for a beginner bike myself, and this is a very good read for me!

SamuraiJack

thx for the help

im gona get myself a bike this summer hopefuly, think i will go for an aprillia rs 125 or an nsr 125

SVTGMoney

I'll more than likely be getting a bike this summer, but after researching for something like 2 years, i still cant decide what to start with. After taking the safety course, do you think it would be a better idea to start with an EX500 and worry about all the hastle of selling it a year later to get a CBR600 or just really taking it easy and starting with a CBR600? I've asking tons of people and it's split right down the middle, one half saying "get an EX500, you'd kill yourself on a CBR" and the other half saying "if you can respect the power your bike has, you'd be fine starting on a CBR600" What do you guys think?

BTW, awesome thread! A+ Content

"Holy crap, Optimus Prime is Jewish?" - Peter

58dae6d64d346ebb8bef9db015eaf566

Aesculapius

Holy shit, this is a great thread. I might be getting a bike this summer, so I thank you bunches for this.

Where do i go shopping for a used bike? is there any good sites online like autotrader? How would I go about finding dealerships?

And how much should I expect to spend on a beginner bike? would $1200 be enough to get a decent one?

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTGMoney
I'll more than likely be getting a bike this summer, but after researching for something like 2 years, i still cant decide what to start with. After taking the safety course, do you think it would be a better idea to start with an EX500 and worry about all the hastle of selling it a year later to get a CBR600 or just really taking it easy and starting with a CBR600? I've asking tons of people and it's split right down the middle, one half saying "get an EX500, you'd kill yourself on a CBR" and the other half saying "if you can respect the power your bike has, you'd be fine starting on a CBR600" What do you guys think?

If you know someone who owns a CBR600 or similar sportbike, ask them if you can ride it ( who in their right mind would say yes? - no offense).

Everyone is different. You get guys who start off on a real beginners bike and just bone out on it for a year or so and get to the point where they can power out of turns and lean past the bike's capabilities... then they upgrade to a 600 and they do pretty well on it.

You get other guys who start off on 600s and do just as well as you can expect, starting off slow and learning the capabilities and limits of the bike slowly yet surely.

Then again, you get guys who get 600s and are just plain scared of what it can do - the throttle and edges of the tire never see the use it was intended to and as a result, the rider learns horrible riding manners.
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

onewheeldoin200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTGMoney

My gut feeling is that the EX500 is the way to go. I had mine for a year and durinig that year I didn't outgrow it. The only reason I sold it was to pay for school, and I ended up regretting the decision and buying a shit-beat ZX6 the next summer...poor decision making. I wish I'd kept the EX500.

The fact is, you will be a better rider if you start off on the 500. You won't be scared shitless of the bike's power (which you should be of that CBR) and you'll be able to focus on shifting, braking, lean angles, throttle delivery etc etc MUCH better than if you are always forced to think about whether the bike will jump out from under you. That EX500 does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds....pretty fucking quick, and it'll hit 220km/h. I think it's plenty of bike. Plus, it doesn't have full fairings, so if you drop it the damage won't be as bad (I slid mine for 15 feet along a road on it's side, after which it flipped and bashed the other side. Total damage: about $200. That would be more like $1500 on a CBR. Yes I was being a fucking idiot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesculapius
Holy shit, this is a great thread. I might be getting a bike this summer, so I thank you bunches for this.

Where do i go shopping for a used bike? is there any good sites online like autotrader? How would I go about finding dealerships?

And how much should I expect to spend on a beginner bike? would $1200 be enough to get a decent one?

? edit: I'm a dumbass, I read that "thank you bunchies". Genmay is getting to me

I prefer buying used bikes privately, usually through classifieds. Cycletrader.com is a good one. If you're in Canada then buysell.com is by far the best, but check local papers too. You'll get a better deal, but I HIGHLY recommend bringing someone knowledgeable about bikes with you. They'll be able to take it for a ride and verify that it's in the condition the seller says it is. I had a rider with ~6 years experience come with me to check out my first bike and ride it home for me. then my first time on it I tried to make a 90 degree turn out of my driveway and went straight across the street in front of a van to the sidewalk on the other side

Dealerships - check out your yellowpages under 'motorcycles'. If you can, talk with some local riders: they'll know what delearships to avoid, and trust me, some of them are TERRIBLE.

$1200 could be enough for a beginner bike. It really depends. My friend bought an 84 Suzuki Tempter 650 for $900 (Canadian), beat the crap out of it for a year and then upgraded to a CBR F4i the following year; it worked out great for him. On the other hand, it might be hard to find a serviceable 92 EX500 (or even the 250) for that price. If that is your budget, stick with the older "standard" bikes like that Tempter or an old Yamaha or something.

edit: Don't forget to budget for safety gear. At a bare minimum you're probabbly looking at around $500. Motorcycle-specific clothing is essential, too, because regular low cut boots, standard leather gloves and jackets will fold, move around on your body, or fly right off in a crash. Plus they are almost always thinner leather that wouldn't protect you in a crash anyways.

Passion > Precision

Last edited by onewheeldoin200; 04-11-2005 at 06:52 PM..

princess0fdiabl0

craigslist.org is also a decent place to go for used cycles. I wouldnt only check there but its a nice addition to cycletrader + newspaper classifieds etc.

onewheeldoin200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiJack
thx for the help

im gona get myself a bike this summer hopefuly, think i will go for an aprillia rs 125 or an nsr 125

Those are awesome beginner bikes . Do you live in the UK by any chance? Their licensing system is so vastly superior to anything in North America it's embarassing.

I also wish North America didn't have such a hardon for "bigger is better"...I'd love to get me a real modern 400-500cc supersport

Passion > Precision

ReTECH

haha, Harleys are just a different breed, man. I get a mix of cool & asshole out of Harley people, sportbike poeple, tourers, everyone. Same as any group; bikers are made up of individuals, & I try to let people tie their own noose.

1O@200 : Do you have this fine piece published or hosted somewhere? I'd like to refer folks to it, who might not be suited to genmay.

onewheeldoin200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReTECH
haha, Harleys are just a different breed, man. I get a mix of cool & asshole out of Harley people, sportbike poeple, tourers, everyone. Same as any group; bikers are made up of individuals, & I try to let people tie their own noose.

1O@200 : Do you have this fine piece published or hosted somewhere? I'd like to refer folks to it, who might not be suited to genmay.

The whole thing or just the paper? I could convert the bike reviews thing to a word document, and I have that paper in word format already. I also have another one called "Motorcycle Safety in Canada" that I wrote last year. More in depth on safety than the one above. If it would help you I could zip them all up and post a link here.

And thanks to everyone for the kind comments....I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now

edit: it's up there now. Hope that helps

Passion > Precision

Last edited by onewheeldoin200; 04-11-2005 at 08:37 PM..

CanuckDave

wow, thats an incredibly good write up, thanks man.