General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

zerokewl

I think BF3 looks stunning, and Im sure if they took the time to make a really polished tech demo like Samaritan it would be equally cool. I dont doubt that what was seen in Samaritan will be dumbed down a bit for a game (who knows though, they were quoted saying that with some code cleaning it would probably be possible to run it on a single card) but thats to be expected. Look at crysis 2, the tech demo's got everyone all hot in the pants, then they released Crysis 2 and I basically stopped caring. Hopefully we dont see that from UE3 and Frostbite 2. I think both will be some of the big hitters this generation.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

?psalus
Apsalus

I'm far less concerned about how good BF3 turns out looking and more how interactive the envrioment is. Bad Company 2 is tremendous fun with its "limited" destruction features and I expect BF3 to multiply those features exponentially. I want to be able to shred materials with light arms fire and completely level city blocks with AFV's and explosives. I'm talking about being able to write my name in a car door or make a small hole in a concrete wall right where I want it to peek and fire through. None of this pre-modeled "hit this block x amount of times to chip off this predetermined chunk in this spot" or the exact same flattened building foundations everywhere you find in BC2. Red Faction did terrain destruction really well from what I recall. The nuke launcher was a venerable tunneling machine when you had "god mode" turned on. Of course terrain destruction on that scale can really change the face of a map to the point of breaking it, but I can dream (slugging the opposing team's airfield with so much ordnance that they can't use it, dropping a high-rise across a choke point so that they spend the next half of the game shelling it just to try to get out of their spawn, etc).

zerokewl

Sounds like a pretty shitty multiplayer experience.

Whomever drops that building first pretty much wins!

AmishSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerokewl View Post

Does anybody else think this sounds like it'd be a really fun multiplayer mode on the side?

Demolition Mode

Each team has to take down a randomly generated building as fast as possible each round. Rounds introduce more obstacles including, but not limited to: AI enemies to distract/stop you from demolishing your building, reinforced supports, lack of entry points (blow open your own!), etc.

Points awarded for speed, efficiency, surviving players, and enemies killed in the process.

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

I like it, a lot.

That said, there were two things that annoyed the shit out of me that ruined it all. Why is it that when the sniper was shooting at them on the roof (roughly 6:00 forward) was there a blur affect with every shot that didn't contact the player? Secondly, the AI seems rather simple in this day in gaming. The player throws a grenade at the 3rd floor of the RPG unit and the unit doesn't react at all... just waits to die. WTF?

Aside from those two VERY annoying items the engine looks great and I really like the enhanced ability to affect the environment. Red Faction touched on this lightly and it seemed like everyone just glazed right past it and they stopped trying to improve the idea that could have made a major difference in gameplay.

I'm actually surprised that they haven't added voice recognition to the game -- there is a LOT of chatter from the NPC's speaking directly to the player. They could bring the player immersion up several levels by requiring player voice response of the COMM, or even giving orders to the team in that way. This was highlighted by the 'follow the wire' bit where you stray from the team and they somehow immediately know all is well with the IED without your input. Silly stuff that we may see in the future in other games, but it seems like something we are close to already, just not applying.

Last edited by DopefishLives; 04-22-2011 at 05:39 PM..

?psalus
Apsalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerokewl View Post
Sounds like a pretty shitty multiplayer experience.

Nobody wins by dropping the building, it just hampers one team. I don't expect that's what will be possible in BF3, but it would be cool to try.

BigFuzzyArchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishSlayer View Post
Does anybody else think this sounds like it'd be a really fun multiplayer mode on the side?

Demolition Mode

Each team has to take down a randomly generated building as fast as possible each round. Rounds introduce more obstacles including, but not limited to: AI enemies to distract/stop you from demolishing your building, reinforced supports, lack of entry points (blow open your own!), etc.

Points awarded for speed, efficiency, surviving players, and enemies killed in the process.

sounds pretty awesome

like smashing up the car in street fighter

cokezeroholic

Call of Duty is played the fuck out, no matter which war you pick.

?psalus
Apsalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsiholic View Post
Call of Duty is played the fuck out, no matter which war you pick.
Fuck you, I love getting knifed by someone 2m away and then double-shotgunned in the face by someone across the map who is running around like fucking Kenyan on Speed.

Cads

I'll be buying Battlefield 3, but I want to see some goddamn extended multiplayer footage, not this scripted single player crap 12-hour campaign we've been getting since the original Call of Duty.

?psalus
Apsalus

The 12 minute video with commentary from DICE has resurfaced.

BORKED

AmishSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuzzyArchon View Post
like smashing up the car in street fighter

lol, that's the first thing I thought of when I typed, "Demolition Mode"

WILLIAM NOT
theLiberator
"I hate my hair in these anigifs, I'm glad I'm shooting myself in the head in at least one of them f

WTF @ exploding cars, and WTF at running around exposed on a bridge and not getting killed.

Major: Physics, Minor: Chemistry, Life: Non-existant

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLiberator View Post
WTF @ exploding cars, and WTF at running around exposed on a bridge and not getting killed.

Part of the realism in this game is that if the other guys don't hit you, you don't get killed.

zerokewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Part of the realism in this game is that if the other guys don't hit you, you don't get killed.

Mind blown