General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
RazorWind
 
RazorWind's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelum View Post
I think the better car analogy is any car that is used for anything other than its designed purpose. This is something I'm trying to eloquently piece together as a retort to the argument that a gun is designed for 1 thing only. This is sort of my rough draft

An SUV with 1 person in it. Ban it.
A truck not hauling anything in the bed. Ban it.
Most importantly any car designed to go fast. Ferrari, Lambo, Impreza, Civic R, Enzo, M3, R8, S4, Mustang, Camero, Charger, etc. Ban them! And ban the show top gear for encouraging lawless behavior!

Those vehicles are designed for 1 thing and 1 thing only. To break the law.
Oh they're used for something other than breaking the speed limit you say? How interesting.
My gun has not only never been used to commit a crime, it can actually be used as a deterrent to crime.
Can anyone say that about a Corvette? Can anyone pick up a corvette and hit a rapist with it?
You're going to take it to the track one day? Yeah sure, just like I'm going back to war with my guns. At least I may actually have a use for my gun one day in legal self defense whereas you will never be able to legally use your muscle car to its full potential on any regular old day

I read an article posted by a doctor about how he treated a kid one time who had been shot in the face because he was fucking around with a shotgun and the piece was meant to really tug at heart strings and he was so torn up about it. I wonder how many teenagers he's tried to put back together because of speed related crashes in their brand new mustangs that they were negligently driving and abusing their driving privileges.
A racetrack seems like an excellent analog to a shooting range. A safe, reasonably well controlled environment in which your dangerous machine can be used safely. It's more expensive, but the real enthusiasts will pay the fee and go drive their fast cars there, the same way that gun enthusiasts use their guns primarily at shooting ranges.
__________________
90f54f9cfb4106d1ef0e6a82e53f14
Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 PM RazorWind is offline  
Reply With Quote
#46  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

gribly
 
gribly's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post

Also to put some perspective on myself I would be the first one to cry against more control. I was caught & plead guilty to illegal use at a shooting range in PA State Gamelands. You are not allowed to have more than 3 rounds in a rifle or 6 in a handgun at any time on PA Govt. property. I ended up with a $150 fine and why I don't know but he wanted shell casings from all the involved weapons. I don't even know if they were mine because the range wasn't kept that clean. I broke the law willingly and paid for it but what is practice if you are only half loading a handgun. I think it is stupid but not complying with a State Game Warden is like telling a State Trooper to go f himself. Ya I didn't need to go to jail.

And you must have done something to piss him off inanother way, because that is very nit-picky. Pus, yes, you can train with only a few rounds. Reload more. You were probably mag dumping or something, on top of it all.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:34 AM gribly is offline  
Reply With Quote
#47  

Caelum
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
Well I guess since we are all off track now it doesn't matter...

Apsalus:

Since you misunderstood what I meant it is plainly obvious that anyone with half a brain wouldn't want any person with access to a grenade launcher or full automatic weapon outside a military situation. I said similar as so he could retain some of that "muscle memory", a semi-auto in his situation would be ideal.

The current debate just furthered my long standing belief that weapons that hold high amounts of ammunition should not be available to the public.

I know people die randomly everyday with little to no cause through various means, should be ban it all? No. It means we need to try harder to prevent as much as we can.

Rancid don't be a fuckin idiot and try an equate doctors & radiation treatment to this argument, god you're fucking stupid. My Aunt just survived chemo & radiation and is now cancer free. So we should have just let her die? Fuckin twit. It is your opinion but don't be stupid about it.

Edit:

Also to put some perspective on myself I would be the first one to cry against more control. I was caught & plead guilty to illegal use at a shooting range in PA State Gamelands. You are not allowed to have more than 3 rounds in a rifle or 6 in a handgun at any time on PA Govt. property. I ended up with a $150 fine and why I don't know but he wanted shell casings from all the involved weapons. I don't even know if they were mine because the range wasn't kept that clean. I broke the law willingly and paid for it but what is practice if you are only half loading a handgun. I think it is stupid but not complying with a State Game Warden is like telling a State Trooper to go f himself. Ya I didn't need to go to jail.

To that I say this:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Source Cato Institute
Cliffs:
Police epitomize protection of self and others and use magazine in their handguns that are 11-19 rounds. Most of them have back up AR15s in their cars with magazines of 30 rounds. Both weapon systems including their magazines are used for the sole purpose of defense of self and others.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:11 AM Caelum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#48  

?psalus
Apsalus
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelum View Post
To that I say this:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Source Cato Institute
Cliffs:
Police epitomize protection of self and others and use magazine in their handguns that are 11-19 rounds. Most of them have back up AR15s in their cars with magazines of 30 rounds. Both weapon systems including their magazines are used for the sole purpose of defense of self and others.
But haven't you heard? The police will always be there to protect us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
It is not the citzen's job to protect others like him, that is why the police have a job. It is not yours or mine and frankly it should never have to be. Besides what happens when that person tries to stop him & dies? Police have the protection the average citizen does not and that is why they risk their lives like that. I sure as hell wouldn't until he steps on my property, then I have the law on my side at least.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 AM ?psalus is offline  
Reply With Quote
#49  

Caelum
 
Yes of course. I forgot how they now teach psychic powers to all local cops. Knowing exactly when and where crimes will take place as to prevent all violent crimes truly is an asset to the modern police officers abilities
Old 01-16-2013, 09:52 AM Caelum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#50  

Thermo1223
 
Thermo1223's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
And you must have done something to piss him off inanother way, because that is very nit-picky. Pus, yes, you can train with only a few rounds. Reload more. You were probably mag dumping or something, on top of it all.

I wish...

It is a no contest law in PA and Game Wardens usually are very big dicks about everything because they know they can be. To this day we believe it was called in by another person at the range who was sighting in a rifle(a large .50 cal I believe, could have been black powder too). He would shot maybe 2-3 rounds every 10 mins, while myself & others with pistol's/rifles were basically shooting normally. We would check/clear so we could go downrange and check targets. Some how I am sure we got his panties in a twist other it. He left right after the Game Warden started talking to us, hint hint.

They just randomly show up, it's not like anyone know he was there. I said I broke it, it is a stupid law but that doesn't mean I could break it so I paid the price.
__________________
'09 Subaru Forester XT - Hauler
'14 Scion xD - It's cute...ugh
'04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI=FAILWAGON
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:
Old 01-16-2013, 12:52 PM Thermo1223 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#51  

Thermo1223
 
Thermo1223's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apsalus View Post
It sounds like you need to pick your words more carefully. It's hard to guess that "the same firearm used in conflict" really means a semiautomatic variant.

I think you are just doing to instigate a response out of me...but whatever.
Quote:
Would the handguns, that you feel would be just as effective as an evil black rifle in a personal defense situation, be limited to six or so rounds? You are aware that 30 round handguns and extended magazines for handguns exist, yes?
I do and yes they should eliminate extended mags for those as well. Hollow points do more damage than a rifle round. It was my understanding rifle rounds usually go clean through unless something gets in the way. Hollow's don't go cleanly through. You wouldn't need as many bullets if a takedown shot only required 1-2 rounds with hollow points in a handgun.

Quote:
By restricting a tool that some psycho misuses and punishing all of the law-abiding owners? I hope that you get something that you enjoy taken away from you, for some inane reason, that you can never get back.
It is not a tool, it is a weapon. Speaking of getting something taken away, do you think that applies to the lives' lost? It was for we can only assume some "inane reason". Those parents are never getting their children back. Should we punish law abiding citizens? No Are we? Not really, when was never intended for any law abiding citizen to be able to shoulder a weapon with that capacity in a public domain. It was never addressed til now but it should have been all along.

Quote:
You misunderstood what he said and outed yourself as an emotional basket-case.
Maybe I did but he was certainly not worried about that, his intent was to spark an emotional response. Basket-case? Please...any other ad hominem attacks you'd like to present? Clearly I must be crazy for taking a rational approach to gun control.

Quote:
You knowingly violated that law because "it is stupid". Fascinating. Tell us more about how a law like this should blanket the entire Union.
When did I ever say it apply to the whole country? Really are you just trying in get me to respond so you can point something else out you don't like. I can see clearly what you are doing and being condescending to be doesn't further your cause.
__________________
'09 Subaru Forester XT - Hauler
'14 Scion xD - It's cute...ugh
'04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI=FAILWAGON
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:
Old 01-16-2013, 01:11 PM Thermo1223 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#52  

gribly
 
gribly's Avatar
 
Hollowpounts do more damage than rifle rounds? You can get hollowpoints for rifles, they are actually common. Besides that though, the secondary tissue damage from the shock that goes through the area where the round hits is devastating with a rifle round. It'll go through for sure, but not clean. Many rounds fragment and go all over the place in you, like the 5.56 NATO sorta does.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:49 PM gribly is offline  
Reply With Quote
#53  

?psalus
Apsalus
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
I think you are just doing to instigate a response out of me...but whatever.
Yes. I totally manipulated what you wrote and misinterpreted your thoughts so as to get a rise out of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
I do and yes they should eliminate extended mags for those as well. Hollow points do more damage than a rifle round. It was my understanding rifle rounds usually go clean through unless something gets in the way. Hollow's don't go cleanly through. You wouldn't need as many bullets if a takedown shot only required 1-2 rounds with hollow points in a handgun.
You are an amazingly ignorant gun owner and a phenomenal shot if you are comfortable with the concept of defending yourself with one or two bullets loaded in a gun. You haven't specified what you consider a "fair" number of rounds in a gun by the way. That’s kind of important if you are going to attack extended magazines, let alone standard capacity magazines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
It is not a tool, it is a weapon.
That's like saying "A paring knife is not a tool, it is a weapon".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
Speaking of getting something taken away, do you think that applies to the lives' lost? It was for we can only assume some "inane reason". Those parents are never getting their children back.
That's very poor of you to try to turn that around on me by bringing up the victims of violence. It doesn't matter what took their lives. Yes, it is a tragedy that they are gone and yes, there is no good reason why he did it, but don't demonize the mode when the person that committed the act is the one responsible. Or are you upset that he took the coward's way out and now you must find another way to place blame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
Should we punish law abiding citizens? No Are we? Not really, when was never intended for any law abiding citizen to be able to shoulder a weapon with that capacity in a public domain. It was never addressed til now but it should have been all along.
"No, law-abiding citizens should not be punished, but they were always huge risks all along." That is an interesting interpretation of our freedoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
Maybe I did but he was certainly not worried about that, his intent was to spark an emotional response. Basket-case? Please...any other ad hominem attacks you'd like to present? Clearly I must be crazy for taking a rational approach to gun control.
No, that was all I had to say about that reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
When did I ever say it apply to the whole country? Really are you just trying in get me to respond so you can point something else out you don't like. I can see clearly what you are doing and being condescending to be doesn't further your cause.
Oh, so your opinion is that you only need gun control in your area of residence. I'm sorry for misunderstanding.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:43 PM ?psalus is offline  
Reply With Quote
#54  

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
A lot actually...with regards to gun accidents...The theory to treat everything else like it's as dangerous and readily usable weapon like a gun with great potential to kill is asinine. Magically by doing this less people will use a gun to kill.

Apparently you skipped over the part where I said I own guns.

My little world, listen yourself, typical...Would you like a rpg just incase he tries to drive a car at you?

A hand gun is just as efficient as a semi-auto rifle. No one is sniping at you from down the street

I'd rather snipe the fucknuts, than have to wait for them to get close enough for a handgun, or splat them with a shotgun. Just sayin'.

Besides: which of these is an assault rifle?? (be quiet, all you who know the answer)



No cheating by looking in the "callout: gun owners" thread.
__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


̃~~~ ̃~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ̃~~~ ̃~~~
Old 01-16-2013, 11:05 PM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#55  

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
Hollowpounts do more damage than rifle rounds? You can get hollowpoints for rifles, they are actually common. Besides that though, the secondary tissue damage from the shock that goes through the area where the round hits is devastating with a rifle round. It'll go through for sure, but not clean. Many rounds fragment and go all over the place in you, like the 5.56 NATO sorta does.

"hollowpwnts"
__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


̃~~~ ̃~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ̃~~~ ̃~~~
Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 PM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#56  

gribly
 
gribly's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
"hollowpwnts"

The "hollowpwnt" woud most definitely have to be a Beowulf hollowpoint. Getting shot with one would be like "fuck you, fuck your whole existence, fuck your dna, you're now a paint smear!"

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


Jesus that guy doesn't know shit about guns, does he? Thats what I get for posting before watching. He seems surprised it goes through a dvd player? WTF?

It only holds 10 rounds, so it's not dangerous.

Also, .50 is smaller than 5.56, so it must be less dangerous, right? Right.

Last edited by gribly; 01-17-2013 at 10:00 AM..
Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 AM gribly is offline  
Reply With Quote
#57  

Rancidpunk666
 
Rancidpunk666's Avatar
 
I remember some dumb news bitch calling a .380 a 380mm caliber one time
__________________
._--_|\
/········\
\_.--Senator Date Rape
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 AM Rancidpunk666 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#58  

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
C'mon, Thermo: stop hiding and answer me!
__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


̃~~~ ̃~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ̃~~~ ̃~~~
Old 01-17-2013, 02:02 PM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#59  

Thermo1223
 
Thermo1223's Avatar
 
Well technically they both can be given time & place. I could go butt crazy with a PS90 and just have more rounds to spare before reloading.

I honestly can't identify the rifle although the barrel looks similar.
__________________
'09 Subaru Forester XT - Hauler
'14 Scion xD - It's cute...ugh
'04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI=FAILWAGON
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:
Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 PM Thermo1223 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#60  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:40 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.