General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ZMan
title fixed for good of forums

looks like its going to be pretty stout!
'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 5.2l
'13 F-150 Ecoboost

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

J Mel

I'm on the ground now. Have a complete rolling chassis. Rear end including new drums from So-Cal Speedshop and 3.70 ford 9inch is hung. Need to put on new backing plates and redrill my finned buick drums in the front to 5x5.5 to accept my 40 ford wheels. In the mean time, I have wide fives hung on the front.

Front tires are firestone bias ply pie-cut 5.00-16 on the front, and firestone pie-cut 750-16's on the rear. Bigs and littles should give me a nice tire rake, ontop of the 5 inch drop axle and dropped 32 ford cross member.

Next up....cutting body and getting it prepped for fitment. However, I threw out my back putting tires/wheels on car last weekend. Think i'll be taking break from it this weekend.

Typhoon43

Looks great man! And omg my brain almost exploded when I saw a rear leaf setup AND panhard bar setup at the same time. That's just freaky as fuck to me

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon43 View Post
Looks great man! And omg my brain almost exploded when I saw a rear leaf setup AND panhard bar setup at the same time. That's just freaky as fuck to me

I wondered about that. I didn't think it was necessary with springs. But it came with the rear end assembly kit that i purchased. I figured their engineers know better than I do. At some point, it doesn't hurt. It might not help, but it doesn't hurt. So, I went with it. Cost me 30 minutes of time adjusting, figuring, and welding. Nothing major lost. And looks cool, soooooooo.

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

wish i had space n tools to work on cars. coolio

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcW@teR View Post
wish i had space n tools to work on cars. coolio

I love my shop space. It's a disaster right now. And it ain't pretty. But have plenty of room. Would have more but I have a lot of shit in there, much isn't even mine. It's 2 doors down fromy fsther-in-laws (future ex father-in-law) and I have a key to his shop and access to his knowledge and tools that I don't have...as well as a lift and his bathroom and shop air. The best part is, I only pay $100 a month for rent. I split it with a coworker ($100 each, $200 total) and he only keeps a golf cart and a little trailer in there. So I practically get the entire shop space to myself.

J Mel

Update: Since Chassis is done - Time to tackle the body and get a Model A body to fit over 32 frame rails.

First things first, I cut out the cancerous fender wells - This also helped me gain access to the Model A subrails that are going to have to be removed.

32 frames have a built in kickup in the back while the Model A frame is flat all the way across. To allow the body to fit properly, the subrails need to be heavily modified. Instead of spending countless hours building new subrails, I opted to pay for a set thats already built. Figured my time fabricating, materials, and frustration of fabricating is worth the money I'd have to spend on somethign that somebody has already done the dirty work on. So...steadfast subrails for a model A to 32 frame was purchased for $500. Really is a nice kit - think it was worth the money. Was very easy, and they follow the curve of 32 frame perfectly.

To further gain access to subrails, I also had to cut out the floor on the A - which kind of sucked, because, well, they were in fantastic shape and I hate going backwards to go forwards...but it was for the greater good.

Floors out...gives me nice clear view of the subrails that have to come out. This is scary as its support structure for the entire back half of the car. Ended up welding a cross brace in the trunk to keep it from collapsing inward as i cut out cross members behind the seat and in the trunk. The very back cross member was going to remain in place and give me a base to weld new subrails to.

Subrails are gone - no floor, no support.

But not for long - New subrails are in place. Can see how nice this kit really is. Made it really easy and had the old subrails cut out and the new ones tacked into place in about 6 hours...and that included a lot of staring, planning an attack route, cutting, measuring, measuring some more, fitting, cutting, measuring again, and tacking into place.

The kit included 2 new cross members, also has a nice little lip to weld new floors too.

Next, I just need to cut off the rear of the frame where the gas tank normally goes. '32 Fords had a rear gas tank that stuck out behind the car. These look like dog shit to me. Makes the car look like it has a full diaper running down the road. I'm not going to run the rear tank, and instead opted to put a big 18 gallon tank behind the car seat...kind of between the cab and the trunk. I'll build a wall behind the car seat to separate it from the cab and seal it well in an effort to keep fumes out. But its a brand new tank, very nicely built, I don't foresee any leaking issues with it.

Once I do some measuring, and figure out where to bob (cut) the horns off in the rear of the frame where the tank would normally go - I'm ready to drop the body on the chassis to make sure everything fits right. If all goes well, only minor, or no further adjustments will be needed and i can weld the new subrails fully into place. At this point, I can go ahead and modify the 32 grill shell, and put it on the car and it will be my first view of how my baby is gonna look. Then...it'll be time to put in motor mounts. From there, All the really scary stuff should be done, and its just plugging away and finishing the build. My goal is to be driving it by next April. Doesn't have to be done, but i expect it to be road worthy enough to take me on a couple hundred mile road trip and back home without any issues (or running me into a semi like the '51 did last month).

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

Wow, that's some serious dedication to your craft.

I wish I had even 10% of your knowledge and ability. Good luck with the build.

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post
Wow, that's some serious dedication to your craft.

I wish I had even 10% of your knowledge and ability. Good luck with the build.

Thank you. I feel like my knowledge is lacking. I know enough to get me into trouble. Then I compare myself to real hot-rod builders who are true artist....that shit will blow your mind what they do and how easy it comes to them. I'm exhausted by the end of every day at the shop...and its not just from the manual labor....it is mentally draining. Don't let anybody tell you that this blue collar shit is easy. I work a white collar job that is mentally taxing and stressful as hell, but doing this fabricating and mechanical work - jesus christ....give me an excel spreadsheet, and numbers to analyze any day.

I could probably buy something pretty far along and save a lot of money and time...but I've only built 1.5 cars...at this point and want more experience and time in the trenches to gain more knowledge in the hobby. I'd like to build one more after this, then I'll probably call it quits and just buy from then on. Its cheaper and easier to buy somebodies abandoned project. But I want to know every fucking inch of this car. Want my hands to have been placed on every inch of it, if nothing more than bragging rights.

My goal is to "finish" this one, then build a matching model A roadster with the same set-up...highboy on '32 rails. I'd like to think i'd have a pretty good understanding at fabrication and car building at that point. Overall goal, I want 3 running/driving hot-rods in my collection. This 30/31 coupe is my dream car. Then want either a 28/29 or a 30/31 ford roadster on 32 rails. Then I want a bagged and/or chopped sled - late 40's early 50's era Chevy 2 door sedan preferably. Maybe an old shop truck, but Imagine i'll be running out of garage/driveway space at this point. All very long term goals.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mel View Post
Thank you. I feel like my knowledge is lacking. I know enough to get me into trouble. Then I compare myself to real hot-rod builders who are true artist....that shit will blow your mind what they do and how easy it comes to them. I'm exhausted by the end of every day at the shop...and its not just from the manual labor....it is mentally draining. Don't let anybody tell you that this blue collar shit is easy. I work a white collar job that is mentally taxing and stressful as hell, but doing this fabricating and mechanical work - jesus christ....give me an excel spreadsheet, and numbers to analyze any day.

I could probably buy something pretty far along and save a lot of money and time...but I've only built 1.5 cars...at this point and want more experience and time in the trenches to gain more knowledge in the hobby. I'd like to build one more after this, then I'll probably call it quits and just buy from then on. Its cheaper and easier to buy somebodies abandoned project. But I want to know every fucking inch of this car. Want my hands to have been placed on every inch of it, if nothing more than bragging rights.

My goal is to "finish" this one, then build a matching model A roadster with the same set-up...highboy on '32 rails. I'd like to think i'd have a pretty good understanding at fabrication and car building at that point. Overall goal, I want 3 running/driving hot-rods in my collection. This 30/31 coupe is my dream car. Then want either a 28/29 or a 30/31 ford roadster on 32 rails. Then I want a bagged and/or chopped sled - late 40's early 50's era Chevy 2 door sedan preferably. Maybe an old shop truck, but Imagine i'll be running out of garage/driveway space at this point. All very long term goals.

I appreciate your humility but you're definitely selling yourself a bit short. Most people can't even change their own oil.

....shit, there's still a few states that have deemed their residents too retarded to even pump their own gas

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:

I appreciate your humility but you're definitely selling yourself a bit short. Most people can't even change their own oil.

....shit,I think there's still a few states that still consider their residents too retarded to even pump their own gas

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post

....shit,I think there's still a few states that still consider their residents too retarded to even pump their own gas

Kind of funny you say that. I never even changed my own oil before I started this hobby 6 years ago. I could pump gas and change a tire and check my own oil, but that was about it. Now I have no problems tearing an engine down....although I do question myself about putting said engine back together. I tend to still need help setting valves, timing, and carb tuning.

I'm not self sufficient on building and mechanical work yet....still need to lean on people for help more often than I'd care too.

Typhoon43

Looks great man. I'm somewhat envious of the amount of time you have available for a project like this. I remember the days fondly when I could wrench after work, on the weekends, and whenever else. Nowdays if I can't knock something completely out in a few hours, I tend to just give up on the thought. I need more time.

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon43 View Post
Looks great man. I'm somewhat envious of the amount of time you have available for a project like this. I remember the days fondly when I could wrench after work, on the weekends, and whenever else. Nowdays if I can't knock something completely out in a few hours, I tend to just give up on the thought. I need more time.

I appreciate it. I don't spend enough time on it honestly. Especially if i plan on having it road worthy by next April. I only work on it on weekends, and don't even do every weekend. If i do work on a weekend, i'm only squeezing out maybe one day on it. Been slow going so far (in my eyes)..but chassis and prepping body were the hard parts I think. Have wanted a 2nd set of eyes on it with me through the entire process so far as I have about $20K invested at this point and don't want to screw up anything major.

Also, getting divorced helps a bit with the time constraints. Find myself with WAY too much free time. I should put it to good use and work out and work on hot-rod. Instead, I typically sulk in my own misery while watching TV and wait for death.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:
Kind of funny you say that. I never even changed my own oil before I started this hobby 6 years ago. I could pump gas and change a tire and check my own oil, but that was about it. Now I have no problems tearing an engine down....although I do question myself about putting said engine back together. I tend to still need help setting valves, timing, and carb tuning.

I'm not self sufficient on building and mechanical work yet....still need to lean on people for help more often than I'd care too.

tearing things apart seems to be the relatively easy part compared to putting them back together and having them work properly.

as for oil changes.... I remember when I was a kid I couldn't fathom actually paying to have some greasemonkey change my oil and now I can't imagine bothering to do it for myself. I'd need hundreds of dollars worth of gear I don't have just to pull it off, and that doesn't even take into account the trouble of disposing of a couple gallons of dirty motor oil and ruining a tshirt.

I'll sit in a waiting room, drink free sodas, use my laptop on free WIFI and watch just enough to make sure the greasy boys are giving me the good synthetic stuff I'm paying for.