General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Gibonius

The official unit of "a cup" is 8 oz, but apparently there's a different unit for "coffee cups" which doesn't have a set definition. Kind of stupid.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

acidfast7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
The official unit of "a cup" is 8 oz, but apparently there's a different unit for "coffee cups" which doesn't have a set definition. Kind of stupid.

Another reason to use the Système international d'unités.

But seriously, did anyone ever really think that a "cup" in baking was the same as the volume of a coffee cup. Even when in the US, I never thought this was true. It's a huge logical disconnect.

edit: the fact alone that cups can be solid or liquid when baking with a non-SI recipe drives me nuts.

sneetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejamon View Post
...and a tiny amount of kosher salt, which makes poorly-made drip coffee SOOOO much better.

I've never heard of adding salt before. Interesting.

cokezeroholic

I'd recommend getting a simple coffee maker with a timer to automatically make your coffee in the morning. I've been personally looking at the
Keurig coffee makers that just brew a cup at a time, and you are only limited to what they have to offer, which is a lot of different beverages.
Quote:
The equivalent of 5 cups. I have 3 in the morning: 1 while getting ready, then the 2 cups in my insulated mug. I finish that by 11:00, and then switch to drinking my daily water intake. I then make a pot around 2:30 at work that I share with a coworker, so that's 2 more cups. Then it's back to water again for the rest of the day.
Wow, cut it back a little bit, seriously. You are addicted.

asdsad
pwned

read this thread and be done with it: http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=824174

Quote:
The equivalent of 5 cups. I have 3 in the morning: 1 while getting ready, then the 2 cups in my insulated mug. I finish that by 11:00, and then switch to drinking my daily water intake. I then make a pot around 2:30 at work that I share with a coworker, so that's 2 more cups. Then it's back to water again for the rest of the day.
that's got to be at least 600 mg/day of caffeine. how the fuck do you sleep? do you get weird as hell without your fix?

ceejamon
Ignore this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneetch View Post
I've never heard of adding salt before. Interesting.

It cuts the bitterness and the need for sugar. Just a tiny amount. I actually heard about it in another coffee thread here and gave it a try. I only do it with drip coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsiholic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdsad View Post
that's got to be at least 600 mg/day of caffeine. how the fuck do you sleep? do you get weird as hell without your fix?

I started drinking coffee when I was 7, and iced tea was the default beverage growing up in the South. Whether it's nature or nurture, caffeine doesn't seem to affect me as strongly as others. I can drink a cup of coffee an hour or two before bed and still go to sleep just fine. I don't, of course. That's gotta affect REM I'm sure. I'm done with caffiene by the time I leave work. As for addiction: I can function on 1 cup a day just fine, I'm just not as productive. If I go all day without caffiene, I'll get a mild headache by about 3:00 but that's it. I say caffiene is a pretty mild addiction as they go.

And for the record, I'm always weird as hell regardless of caffiene intake.

acidfast7

Quote:
I'd recommend getting a simple coffee maker with a timer to automatically make your coffee in the morning. I've been personally looking at the
Keurig coffee makers that just brew a cup at a time, and you are only limited to what they have to offer, which is a lot of different beverages.

i drink at least 8 espressos/day.

asdsad
pwned

That makes you really cool.

cokezeroholic

Quote:
I started drinking coffee when I was 7, and iced tea was the default beverage growing up in the South. Whether it's nature or nurture, caffeine doesn't seem to affect me as strongly as others. I can drink a cup of coffee an hour or two before bed and still go to sleep just fine. I don't, of course. That's gotta affect REM I'm sure. I'm done with caffiene by the time I leave work. As for addiction: I can function on 1 cup a day just fine, I'm just not as productive. If I go all day without caffiene, I'll get a mild headache by about 3:00 but that's it. I say caffiene is a pretty mild addiction as they go.

And for the record, I'm always weird as hell regardless of caffiene intake.

The fact that you started drinking at 7 is a moot point. You've addicted because you must have 1 cup a day and are always wanting more to function on average. It's it nobody's nature to automatically be less responsive to caffeine or not, it's all about how you are trained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
i drink at least 8 espressos/day.

That's because you're a douchebag and nobody cares. Good for you on thinking you're special.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

I was always under the impression coffee cup = 6oz

Every other instance = 8oz

either way my mug holds more like 12oz because I'm in mother fuddin' america

ceejamon
Ignore this post

Quote:
The fact that you started drinking at 7 is a moot point. You've addicted because you must have 1 cup a day and are always wanting more to function on average. It's it nobody's nature to automatically be less responsive to caffeine or not, it's all about how you are trained.

I never said I wasn't addicted. I just explained how I got that way. And since I have no medical reasons to kick the habit, I see no reason to change things. My doc says my LDL and blood pressure are great, I stay plenty hydrated (64oz water while I'm at work) and I sleep just fine. That covers the medical arguments against coffee I'm aware of. On the pro side, coffee is rich in antioxidants. It protects against Type 2 diabetes, liver cirrhosis, gall and kidney stones, and Alzheimer's. It's also tasty and makes me more productive. If I weren't heart healthy, it'd be a different story. I drink alcohol rarely, I don't smoke, I eat healthy, and I hit the gym 3 days a week. If anything hurts me, it'll be the DC Beltway traffic - not coffee.

cokezeroholic

Quote:
I never said I wasn't addicted. I just explained how I got that way. And since I have no medical reasons to kick the habit, I see no reason to change things. My doc says my LDL and blood pressure are great, I stay plenty hydrated (64oz water while I'm at work) and I sleep just fine. That covers the medical arguments against coffee I'm aware of. On the pro side, coffee is rich in antioxidants. It protects against Type 2 diabetes, liver cirrhosis, gall and kidney stones, and Alzheimer's. It's also tasty and makes me more productive. If I weren't heart healthy, it'd be a different story. I drink alcohol rarely, I don't smoke, I eat healthy, and I hit the gym 3 days a week. If anything hurts me, it'll be the DC Beltway traffic - not coffee.
I have a cup every now and then at work, but I mostly stick to hot cocoa. I've heard there are benefits to drinking it, but I'm thinking that it's based just off black coffee. As far as caffeine and productivity goes, for most people it gives them the illusion of being more productive but can actually sacrifice quality for quantity. I think for you, and sometimes myself, it is just something to keep us going until we're on the way home.