General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

zerokewl

jelp how to un-f myself from an auto insurance company

Well the story goes I was driving home from the store one fine afternoon and after passing a stop light I get pulled over. This was odd because I hadn't done anything, wasn't speeding, light was green, car was in good order with everything.... I was a bit miffed. The officer comes up to the window and asks if the car belongs to me, I tell him yes, he asks for insurance, I give it to him, he asks for license, hand it over. He goes to his car, comes back and asks me why I'm driving with a suspended license. As far as I knew I was not driving with a suspended license, I tell him this and he double checks and tells me it's definitely suspended. so we go through all the nice steps and I get home and i'm thinking what in the fuck.

Now this is about 3 months ago, It has taken me this long to find out any information about this because in the great state of Minnesota absolutely no one who works in the judicial system or for the government in general has any fucking idea about anything at all. Its like they fire and renew their staff daily with the least qualified people. BUT, I finally found a guy, he tells me is going to go into the records, and he will call me back. He calls back, and gives me the dirt.

The reason for my license suspension is that I was in an automobile accident and the insurance company of the other party has opened a case against me, I didn't pay or show or anything so the state suspended my license.

Now, this is a surprise to me, because I have never been in an accident before. I have also never received any sort of documents saying that I was, or that I should appear in court, or anything else relating to this. So me and this helpful gentleman do a bit more digging and it turns out the car that was in an accident was an Oldsmobile that I had gotten rid of about 3 years ago. The bottom sub-frame on the car had cracked in half (literally), a bunch of parts that were impossible to find snapped (i tried finding them through every possible means) and the car was a total loss, complete junk. I gave it away as junk, for parts, scrap, whatever. I didn't have the title for the car, I never had it in the first place actually. The guy I bought it from didn't have it, he must have somehow got it forced into my name.

So somehow this fag welded the sub-frame together, made all these small suspension parts that are impossible to get, and got it working and drove it into a Ford F-150. The insurance company is after me and this kid now (this kid is a complete waste of earth, they wont get anything from him. Total fucking scum, but thats another thread) and don't know what my options are. I would really like to have my license back, it holding me back quite a bit right now. Do I have any options here? I don't have $8,000 to just pay what the insurance company want, to be honest I don't have money to pay them anything as I just got laid off. I got the insurance company name and the name of the firm that represents them, but the firm is closed until Monday. Do I even have a chance in this? or am I fucked.

tl;dr/cliffs:

get rid of completely scrap car with no title
someone somehow rebuilds car
crashes into truck
insurance company comes after me
I never hear about it
license get suspended
can I clear my name from this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

zerokewl

Thread title: I rule at spelling and grammar

DreamWarrior

I don't actually understand how they're coming after you at all.... Did you still have that car insured? If I drive my mom's car into another and it is uninsured then if I have insurance (me, the driver involved in the accident) then my insurance would be involved along with the insurance of the person who I hit. If I, the driver, didn't have insurance then I would be fined/jailed/whatever the state says is penalty for driving without insurance and the person who I hit would have the claim under their uninsured/under-insured motorist policy. However, I do believe that if me, the at-fault driver, did not have insurance but was driving an insured vehicle, then there would indeed be a case to be made against that vehicle's insurance policy. Which is why I really hope you didn't still have a policy on that car after you "scrapped" it. If that isn't true and you still carry a policy on that car, then I'm sorry buddy...but your insurance will be involved (though they should have been handling this for you...so...I'm not sure why your license got suspended....). Anyway...presuming you did cancel the insurance policy, we'll continue.

I assume that it's the F-150 driver (the not at-fault driver) whose insurance is coming after you. I don't know how, but of course, they will try to go after anyone they believe they can. Maybe because the car was a hazard and you "owned" it they are trying to go after you? Who the hell knows, but...good luck. If you canceled the insurance policy on that car (as I presume you would have three years ago) then I don't see how you have any responsibility. You did at least do this right?

In retrospect, you should have removed all the VIN numbers from the car when you scrapped it. Do you have proof that you scrapped it at least? Maybe a receipt from the junk yard...something? Maybe that'll help show you "disowned" the vehicle?

Last edited by DreamWarrior; 01-13-2011 at 09:13 PM..

Forever Domon

you just have to prove you werent driving/owning the car at the time.

Since theres no title, you really cant prove you didnt own it. But you can certainly prove you werent driving it. Since they have the kids name, it doesnt seem to have been a hit and run. I mean, they could sue you, but your liability is fairly reduced as you werent the driver.

DreamWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
you just have to prove you werent driving/owning the car at the time.

Since theres no title, you really cant prove you didnt own it. But you can certainly prove you werent driving it. Since they have the kids name, it doesnt seem to have been a hit and run. I mean, they could sue you, but your liability is fairly reduced as you werent the driver.
This may be true too...they could be trying to sue you for allowing someone to drive "your" hazardous vehicle.... I don't know what edit above I put that in, lol....

zerokewl

Unfortunately I have no proof that it was scrapped. It wasn't a scrape yard per say, this guy had a Cadillac of the same vintage, and they were, other than body, the same vehicle that yeat, so I thought it was a nice gesture to give him a parts car basically.

I did not have insurance on the vehicle. I highly doubt he had insurance either. There is a slight possibility I can find this kid, and maybe get a written form saying I had given him the vehicle before said accident? That may help my cause

Technically speaking no one new it was "hazardous", and by the way the thing looked after the accident, there would have been no way to tell that he fixed what he fixed.

I really SHOULD have filed the VIN's. Hind sight is always 20/20. I should have burned the fucking car really, that car was problem after problem for me.

zerokewl

Unfortunately I have no proof that it was scrapped. It wasn't a scrape yard per say, this guy who helped out at a local muffler shop had a Cadillac of the same vintage, and they were, other than body, the same vehicle that year, so I thought it was a nice gesture to give him a parts car basically. He was pretty rough and always was coming in for parts.

I did not have insurance on the vehicle. I highly doubt he had insurance either. There is a slight possibility I can find this kid, and maybe get a written form saying I had given him the vehicle before said accident? That may help my cause

Technically speaking no one knew it was "hazardous", and by the way the thing looked after the accident, there would have been no way to tell that he fixed what he fixed.

I really SHOULD have filed the VIN's. Hind sight is always 20/20. I should have burned the fucking car really, that car was problem after problem for me.

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerokewl View Post
Thread title: I rule at spelling and grammar

I was about to say, that read entirely way to easily.

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

i think you might've boned yourself, dude

one good question is, if you never had the title, then you could never have insured it, so how are they linking you to the car? yeah, someone forged your name, but that's identity theft (which is a whole nuther can of worms)
that might be an avenue to pursue, you drop identity theft charges, they drop their scam?

Asa of the Infidel Crew

zerokewl

Not having the title was never an issue having insurance. Perhaps because there was no lien on the car since it was paid for in a private transaction. But yea, had insurance through, progressive I think.

The person I originally bought the car from was a good friend of my fathers, and a bit mine i guess in that respect, so I doubt it was done in an illegal fashion. We spent a lot of time talking about that car and un-shitting the title, I dont remember if he wrote up some document that he used to get his name off it or what, but either way my name comes up as associated with the car.

Im going to try giving the representing firm a call on Tuesday here. Mostly Im just worried that they arent going to lift a finger to help me, or point me in the right direction, since there client is the one that wants my money, and im sure they want theirs, and again I dont really have money to hire my own legal help.

edplayer
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerokewl View Post
Im going to try giving the representing firm a call on Tuesday here.

Don't call them. Communicate in writing.

You should concentrate on the state and your license. Find out what steps are needed to prove that you were not the owner/in possession of the vehicle at the time of the accident.

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Saxman924

For the life of me I cannot understand why bathrooms are built without exhaust fans. It should be a requirement or something.

zerokewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by edplayer View Post
Don't call them. Communicate in writing.

You should concentrate on the state and your license. Find out what steps are needed to prove that you were not the owner/in possession of the vehicle at the time of the accident.

You mean inform the state that I was not in ownership of the vehicle, nor driving, instead of trying to inform the insurance company/their firm? That seems logical, but I fear the worst, as like I said the "system" in Minnesota is really fucking difficult to get anything done, or anyone who knows anything about any sort of anything going on at all.

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

head downtown and wait in line, it's easier to get that down once you actually go downtown

Asa of the Infidel Crew

colinshark

Your drivers license is now suspended, on no fault of your own, and you are being sued. Shit already got real.

You need a lawyer.