General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Patriotic Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedbuttmonkey View Post

We should be more worried about a fucking ice age.
Wow someone should really tell climate scientists about this graph!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

CRasch
A Righteous Infliction of Retribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Eagle View Post
Wow someone should really tell climate scientists about this graph!
Especially since we can take as real evidence because of the source.

slicedoranges
I'M A COCKSUCKER, JUST GIVE ME A CHANCE & I'LL SUCK YOUR'S DRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedbuttmonkey View Post

We should be more worried about a fucking ice age.

If only climate measurements that far back were possible.

Renork

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRasch View Post
Especially since we can take as real evidence because of the source.

http://199.6.131.12/en/scictr/watch/...nge/change.htm

Image based on data from the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration.
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/iceco...stok_data.html

Renork

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicedoranges View Post
If only climate measurements that far back were possible.

What if we examine a longer period of time—say, the past 1,000 years? This presents a problem since accurate records of temperature were not kept prior to the middle of the 19th century. But there are ways of estimating temperature from other information such as the size of growth rings on trees and the composition of ice taken from Antarctica and Greenland. The records used for these indirect measurements of temperature are called “proxy data.” Find out more about how temperature estimates are made from proxy data.

http://199.6.131.12/en/scictr/watch/.../proxydata.htm

Xayd

what if we get our sources from elsewhere besides schlumberger

not all trees grow the same, for example. despite the fact that the picture of the log in the above link is entirely fake...

the yellow pine trees in the south for example are the opposite. they grow very slowly at first, kinda like a shrub, then as the dominant ones gain a height advantage over the others the bigger ones start to grow faster, and the smaller ones are starved of sun and water and die. the centers of these trees might have as much as 15-20 rings per inch, possibly more. the outer edges have much less. new pine that's planted for pulp and paper is the opposite. they tend to grow very fast at first, so that they can be harvested in 20 or so years, rather than having to wait 100.

so in a yellow pine tree the smaller rings are in the center, and the larger ones are on the outside.

ZOMG THAT MEANS IT'S GONNA SNOW THIS SUMMER?!1 OR WAS IT 200 DEGREES 100 YEARS AGO?!1

or if you look at new slash pine...

ZOMG THAT MEANS IT'S GONNA SNOW ALL YEAR LONG?!1

no it doesn't mean a fucking thing, except that schlumberger PR is not a valid source for scientific discussion as it pertains to climate.

edit: and btw putting the IP on the link instead of the domain is about the most pitiful attempt at masking a source i can think of.

BigFuzzyArchon

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...s-warming.html

So basically Mars is also experiencing global warming and since they don't have humans on Mars then we can't be the ones who cause it right?

Jason

Yet another story...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/c...-warmists.html

Quote:
Dr Taylor had obtained funding to attend this week's meeting of the PBSG, but this was voted down by its members because of his views on global warming.
Dr Taylor was told that his views running "counter to human-induced climate change are extremely unhelpful". His signing of the Manhattan Declaration – a statement by 500 scientists that the causes of climate change are not CO2 but natural, such as changes in the radiation of the sun and ocean currents – was "inconsistent with the position taken by the PBSG".
So apparently now if you research polar bears you aren't allowed to present your research unless it supports global warming...

Jason

Oh there is more... the EPA also suppressed information that was critical of their latest actions.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10274412-38.html
Quote:
Less than two weeks before the agency formally submitted its pro-regulation recommendation to the White House, an EPA center director quashed a 98-page report that warned against making hasty "decisions based on a scientific hypothesis that does not appear to explain most of the available data."

After reviewing the scientific literature that the EPA is relying on, Carlin said, he concluded that it was at least three years out of date and did not reflect the latest research. "My personal view is that there is not currently any reason to regulate (carbon dioxide)," he said. "There may be in the future. But global temperatures are roughly where they were in the mid-20th century. They're not going up, and if anything they're going down."

Carlin's report listed a number of recent developments he said the EPA did not consider, including that global temperatures have declined for 11 years; that new research predicts Atlantic hurricanes will be unaffected; that there's "little evidence" that Greenland is shedding ice at expected levels; and that solar radiation has the largest single effect on the earth's temperature.
This article is so full of ridiculous things the EPA has done that I am surprised most of the people there ever got jobs to begin with had it not been for political engineering.

Jason

Hmm... lots of new stuff out there, I suppose thanks to the cap-and-trade bill going through the House.

Xayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

british conservative party's 'official' newspaper

Quote:
Oh there is more... the EPA also suppressed information that was critical of their latest actions.

the person in question is not a scientist, he's an economist. this is the equivalent of a plumber submitting criticism to a brain surgeon's conference.

Quote:
Hmm... lots of new stuff out there, I suppose thanks to the cap-and-trade bill going through the House.
http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosph...area.south.jpg

you having trouble reading that graph or something?

it shows the sharpest decline throughout its history in the last 2 years.

so lemme get this straight, you post three s in a row and the only reason one of them is credible is because it disproves...you.

thanks for playing, better luck next time.

Xayd

so to summarize for those just joining this thread...

a) republicans best shot at masking their sources in arguments they don't understand is posting the IP instead of the URL. lol

b) morlock IS free_willy

c) reading graphs R hard

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/20/postpone_kyoto/

Quote:
Akasofu accepts the hypothetical effects of CO2 to cause global warming, but says the observations point only a weak correlation (the rapid release of CO2 into the atmosphere since 1946 hasn't created a disaster) and absolutely no evidence of causation - so more science must be done.

"Temporary or not, there must be unknown forces and causes to suppress the CO2 effect or even overcome it. In science, unlike in politics, a minority can be right," he adds.
like I said C02== trivial effect

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/13/cru_missing/

Quote:
"We are not in a position to supply data for a particular country not covered by the example agreements referred to earlier, as we have never had sufficient resources to keep track of the exact source of each individual monthly value. Since the 1980s, we have merged the data we have received into existing series or begun new ones, so it is impossible to say if all stations within a particular country or if all of an individual record should be freely available. Data storage availability in the 1980s meant that we were not able to keep the multiple sources for some sites, only the station series after adjustment for homogeneity issues. We, therefore, do not hold the original raw data but only the value-added (i.e. quality controlled and homogenized) data."

Last edited by TheMorlock; 08-20-2009 at 12:47 PM..

Fuckyouformakingmeregister
wall candy eating retard

FASCINATING!

AND THEN WHAT HAPPENED?...

OH RLY?

TheMorlock: "Any atmosphere will trap heat. the CO2 in Venus's atmosphere is a RESULT of the high temps"

Ahahahahaha

Jack Fickleson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munn K. Manngina View Post
shut up idiot, the adults are having a discussion. Go change your drool cup or something

Adults having a discussion? How would you know, child?