General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

mattress

any idea where I could find suzuki stuff like that?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

I got a question that I've never bothered to look into:

I've got my R1 that's been sitting for a few months. The new engine won't be ready for awhile since they're not hitting target marks and some new parts need to be ordered. I have a track day at the end of the month with my CEO ( ) so I'm going to be throwing the old engine back in.

Now, I just realized that the bike has been sitting for a while with about 1/4 tank (to motor too). Are there things that I need to do before I turn it over?
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

CanuckDave

It would depend how long its sitting, and the environment its in. Around here bikes sit for 6 months sometimes in very cold weather where condensation can build in the tank and cause rust if you don't full the tank full.
The only thing to worry about is whether or not the fuel has gone bad. You might be ok but its not hard to pull off a tank and empty it so personally I'd get a jerry can and fill with the tank with new gas before starting up.
Probably wouldn't hurt to pull the plugs and put a couple drops of oil in each cylinder to avoid wear from the initial startup too.

My bike is an old beater, and I really didn't care that much so I just kept the tank full for the couple months it was parked, did an oil change and it started fine (although a bit stubborn, since its carb'd and doesn't like to start in cold temps)

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

a few months? well, it shouldn't be an issue but you might as well dump the old gas and put in new just to make sure, it won't exactly cost much.

WickedAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattress View Post
I bought a used bike (as posted earlier)...
The owner didn't have any manuals or paperwork to go with it.
Is the manual available for download/purchase?
I didn't see anything on fleabay, and don't know where else to check around.

Being a beginner biker, I'm having to learn a lot of stuff the hard way, and it's not fun! lol

and I guess the real reason I'm asking this is because the rear brakes on the bike squeel like hell when I use them. I'm thinking the rotor might need replacement.

Could simply be a lack of anti-squeal compound on the pads themselves.

McKnight
MOST AMAZING TITLE EVER LOL WORDS

Fox show network is showing the gsxr cup right now. First show to broadcast moto racing on basic cable...catch it while you can you cheap basic cable buying bastards.

mushrew

so i've got a ninja 250 i've been riding for a year and while it's great fun i'd like something that I can feel comfortable riding on the freeway (takes too long to pass anyone and i'd definitely not be able to speed out of the way of danger) and just not have to be so rev-happy in general to get it going. i know i have a lot more to learn about twisties, i just need something for more than going around a 35mph town(and not having to deal with !@#$ing carbs)

I'm looking towards a gsxr 600 or a sv650 (non-faired) and wondering what would be the better purchase...

so what i've figured:
sv650 - cheaper, some use it as a beginner bike so it's definitely more forgiving, less likely to be stolen

gsxr 600 - more expensive, way faster and more fun but a big step up from the ninja, theft target

both bikes would be new since i'm height challenged (i can't flat-feet my 250...felt a little nervous on a 650r, haven't tried out either suzuki yet but i know it'd take some getting used to) and the newer bikes both have shorter seat heights

i'd like to keep the bike for a few years rather than trading it in/selling it every 3 months like some of you guys do so the gsxr 600 would probably still give me that wow factor after a few years which is the main thing going for it over the sv 650

so what do you guys think? is a gsx600 (or 750...? everyone seems to say to get that over the 600) as a second bike a bad idea?

McKnight

I dont remember much of the feel of the 650 but I think the 600 has a shorter seat height

I can flat foot the gsxr 600 but not any other 600, so you should be able to put one foot down on it.

lopoetve

don't forget that the SV650 is a twistie beast too; more so than the Gixxer imo.
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

mushrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
I dont remember much of the feel of the 650 but I think the 600 has a shorter seat height

I can flat foot the gsxr 600 but not any other 600, so you should be able to put one foot down on it.

the 600 is 31.9inch seat height, 650 is 31.5 inch....the 650R is 30.9 so i guess the good thing is it'll force me to wear my boots

mushrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopoetve View Post
don't forget that the SV650 is a twistie beast too; more so than the Gixxer imo.

that's what i've heard...and less fairings to replace too since i go up to the twisties about once a week so there's definitely a risk of crashing. anyone have experience with the sv at 100mph speeds? i tend to do 85-90 on the freeways here in CA since that's normal for the fast lane so that's one big important factor for me. i don't like having to take my car everywhere outside of town, goddamn gas prices

McKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushrew View Post
the 600 is 31.9inch seat height, 650 is 31.5 inch....the 650R is 30.9 so i guess the good thing is it'll force me to wear my boots

you will reach the ground easier on the 600

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopoetve View Post

Seriously?
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWhoKnows View Post
Seriously?
i'll agree, certainly not on the stock budget suspension (from what I've read at least). with a front end and rear shock swap, it's a different story...

the sv weighs 363 for g1 and 372 for g2. how much does the sixxer weigh?

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by totensiebush View Post
i'll agree, certainly not on the stock budget suspension (from what I've read at least). with a front end and rear shock swap, it's a different story...

the sv weighs 363 for g1 and 372 for g2. how much does the sixxer weigh?

Wow, a bike handling better with upgraded suspension?