General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

OSoLowChevy

So I need some help deciding on what bike to get. I have been looking for used bikes for a month now. Right now here are my 2 choices out of bikes I have found for sale.

1. 2005 sv650s $6000
lower fairing, new exhaust, new paint, fender eliminator, frame sliders, bar ends, bike lock, tank bag, + other extras
Been laid down once at 25mph, small dent on tank. All has been repaired and hence new paint.

2. 1999 R6 $4400
frame sliders, new exhaust
Never been laid down, very clean.

I went and saw the sv650s, looked really good. Sounded great was really comfortable to ride. I have ridden one before. I havn't contacted the guy about the r6 but it looks just like he discribed. I have sat on one, not the greatest feeling in the world but I could live with it.

Mainly what would you do? This will be my first bike. I have taken the msf and have my license that is not a worry.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Junkie Mod
totensiebush
shit the needle broke off in my ass cheek

an R6 is a hell of a lot of bike for someone new to motorcycles, and even the SV650S is faster than almost anyone would reccomend for a first bike. Looked at anything a bit slower?

Psilocybes

Id go for a cheaper more disposable bike. $2000 will get you a lot of bike and you can really learn (aka treat like shit).

but thats just me.

Pick a no fairings bike... less to replace when it falls.

electric!sheep

I'm really not sure why people assume they need to have a fast bike starting out. IMO, it's much better to pick a "slow bike" and never touch anything faster until you're bored silly by your current ride. If you're not a squid and know how to improve your skill by testing the limits, it will take a while. And remember, almost all bikes are faster than your average "fast car." Hell, even scooters can be fun as hell when ridden right.

Watch this and tell me that you really need a "fast bike" to have fun...

That said, a fast bike can be more fun than slower one if you're ridden both, but if you haven't been spoiled already, you wouldn't know the difference, and you're a whole lot less likely to kill yourself when you get carried away. In other words, you're not really losing anything by starting with something slower...

Last edited by electric!sheep; 03-29-2006 at 11:03 AM..

SebG
SebTheDJ
Pierdolcie sie

Its time for sell my 96 zx6 and get something newer.

I was thinking an 05 R1, but i also like the idea of a GSXR 750.

princess0fdiabl0

Me and a female friend are going to be going through the process of getting permit, msf, liscense etc soon, but im still having trouble finding that many options for a motorcycle. A rebel 250 would be better for the friend since she is tiny (5'4'' or 3) and ill be looking at a ninja 250 with a klr650 in the near future.

My newspaper has jack and shit. Craigslist only goes so far. Cycletrader is worse than craigslist.

Where are these bike dealerships everyone is speaking of? The only places i know of are in the new bike business, i have no idea where to find a used cycle dealer. Any other options or listings you guys can think of? or any recomendations for San Diego County?

Junkie Mod
totensiebush

I would reccomend at least looking at a Ninja 250 for her, the Rebel will be downright slow. As for you, how big are you? A KLR is a reasonable first bike, I might end up getting one as mine.

princess0fdiabl0

There is a big chance that she will have issues flatfooting with a ninja. We will see before we buy, hell we are taking the msf course before we buy so hopefully they have both there to see.

Im 5-11, 160 lbs. A klr would be a fine first bike for me but they are more expensive. By the time im done with the ninja 250 ill be making 50% more money at my job which will help me more reasonably believe my money is being well spent

Psilocybes

they had honda rebels at our MSF but no ninjas... anyway ive seen chicks ride who couldnt flat foot... I wouldnt suggest it but it can be done i guess.

Berticus
SGT. GRUUUMBLES!

1987 CBR 600 = too powerful for a 260 lbs rider as a first bike?

Junkie Mod
totensiebush

its rated at 85hp, so its got quite a bit of power. are you at least taking an MSF course first or something? even if you are its more powerful than I would reccomend, but if you aren't taking a course first (ie if it will be your first bike ever) its definately too powerful.

Berticus
SGT. GRUUUMBLES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by totensiebush
its rated at 85hp, so its got quite a bit of power. are you at least taking an MSF course first or something? even if you are its more powerful than I would reccomend, but if you aren't taking a course first (ie if it will be your first bike ever) its definately too powerful.
yeah, have to take the msf course

Junkie Mod
totensiebush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berticus
yeah, have to take the msf course
good, that should help. also, how many miles does it have on it? it probably isn't putting out as much power as it originally did.

Berticus
SGT. GRUUUMBLES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by totensiebush
good, that should help. also, how many miles does it have on it? it probably isn't putting out as much power as it originally did.
they say low mileage, whatever that means

Junkie Mod
totensiebush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berticus
they say low mileage, whatever that means
I've seen it mean >50k in some cases (yes, on bikes), I've also seen it mean <5k in others. It means jack shit untill they tell you what it is actually at.