General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

HEMI_426

My first IPSC experience...

So, I'm the advisor for U of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's rifle and pistol club, Illini On Target. The new President of the club had been trying to get me to come to an IPSC shoot with him and some others since he took over the club and I finally relented this past weekend. Woke up at 4:45 am, met up with the three other people going, left C-U at 6:00 and trucked over to the Chillicothe Sportsmen's Club near Chillicothe, IL for a match that started at 10:00. It was fairly chilly and windy; the temp was probably in the low fifties at its warmest and most of us had to re-shoot a stage or two due to range malfunctions (read, wind blowing stands/poppers/barrels over).

The match itself was technically a three-gun (rifle/pistol/shotgun) event, but since I'm not confident enough in my AR's sights to hit paper at 200 meters and I don't own a shotgun right now I just did the pistol portion. I shot 'production' class, which means basically stock guns (can change out factory parts and some springs) and an in-magazine round limit of ten rounds (can start with one round in the chamber). I shot my mostly-stock Glock 23, except it has a 3.5-lb disconnector, new factory night sights, a steel guide rod and a slightly heavier recoil spring. I have an Andrews OWB Glock 19 holster and two Glock mag carriers all hanging from a bull-hide belt I got from The Belt Man.

It was a ton of fun. I started off accurate and slow, making fifteen alphas, one charlie on the first stage (eight cardboard IPSC target), but not moving very fast. As the stages went on I got faster, but not competitively fast and my accuracy went down quite a bit. I managed to shoot a no-shoot target in front of a swinging target twice, which really hurt. By the last stage my mag changes on the move were getting pretty smooth, but I still need to get faster.

How'd I do? Terribly. There were twelve shooters in production; I came in eighth...Better than the two guys that had DQed (one guy's pistol fell out of his holster while moving between stages) and someone else (who's a newer shooter to begin with) that had never shot IPSC before and was using borrowed gear. It didn't help that I was shooting a non-full-size pistol in a major-power-factor caliber with factory-loaded ammo while everyone else was shooting full-size pistols in 9mm (a minor power factor caliber) with down-loaded ammo. The real killer was my skill...I wasn't moving fast enough, wasn't used to shooting fast and wasn't great at my mag changes. My sights didn't work great for me since we were facing in to the sun most of the time. Hitting the no-shoot twice instead of the target swinging behind it absolutely killed me; if I hadn't made that mistake I would have finished at least twenty-five points higher, which would have put me a place up...Still nowhere near to being in the hunt, but at least not almost dead last.

Tim finished the highest out of the four of us that went, Dave came in after Tim while Sarah and I brought up the rear.

Everyone I met at the match was friendly, encouraging and generally nice to spend a day shooting stuff with. People were surprised this was my first go at IPSC; most said they didn't do that well even after shooting IPSC for awhile and that I'll be in the hunt in no time. I somewhat doubt that, but I can hope.

I'll be back. The real bummer for me is that just about every event is no closer than two hours from where I live...But I'll go back anyway. If you haven't considered trying ant competitive shooting, think about trying it.

Pics!

The pistol targets on the first stage...The orange clay pigeons were for the shotguns. The brown targets are "scored" targets, the black areas are cover (doesn't count as a hit) and the white targets are no-shoot targets; you get penalized ten points for every shot on a no-shoot.

No one steals my tire. The white target on the left hides the disappearing target; you had to shoot a steel popper to reveal the disappearing target, which only stayed visible for a second or so and then disappeared again. Of course, I popped that no-shoot twice.

One of my "better" reloads...

Tim, the club Prez, shooting from prone at the 200-meter targets.

Sarah on her first IPSC stage.

Tons of fun. If you're not doing this stuff, give it a shot.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Defiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_426 View Post
The real killer was my skill...I wasn't moving fast enough, wasn't used to shooting fast and wasn't great at my mag changes. My sights didn't work great for me since we were facing in to the sun most of the time. Hitting the no-shoot twice instead of the target swinging behind it absolutely killed me; if I hadn't made that mistake I would have finished at least twenty-five points higher, which would have put me a place up...Still nowhere near to being in the hunt, but at least not almost dead last.

this is exactly why I suggest people who conceal carry to participate in IPSC events, it teaches you how to handle yourself through muscle memory when your brain function goes into "oh shit" mode during stress. I can garantee that you were not focusing on how smooth your mag change was, or even how many rounds you fired, just trying to hit the target and move on to the next quickly, and safely. Most people who frequent IPSC events undergo a lot of dryfire practice, and mag changes at home, in order to improve their times, but an added benefit, is that it will help you in the event you actually have to use your weapon.

Also, from the sounds of things, you were shooting Limited 10, not production, but there isnt much difference.

Just remember, Smooth is fast, fast is smooth. Work on doing things slow and right the first time, its better to have a high hit factor, and a slow time vs the other way around. Speed will develop with time the more you do it.

beavens

that looks extremely bad ass.

-GOB

Naveronski

Looks fun.

I do Cowboy Action Shooting; basically competitive shooting mixed with historical reenacting.

yar1180

Very cool. Good job jumping in.

I got some 3 gun questions as I'm a 3 gun junkie.

How far do they go our for the long range rifle.
Do they have any open class shooters (full on race guns with 2 optics on rifles, and red dot scopes on pistols, etc)

Looks like a fun match. I'm always interested in what other clubs are doing for their matches.

HEMI_426

The targets they were shooting at were 200 meters away for prone. I think they have enough room to go out to 300 but I don't know if they use the room.

I didn't see any open-class guys, but our group was all production- or limited-class shooters...So maybe the race-gun guys were all hanging out with their own little crowd and not slummin' with the plebes in production and limited.