Quote:
Originally Posted by ViriiK
The Patio Chairs
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...ng/8617720.htm
Posted on Mon, May. 10, 2004

America's plastic patio chair is popping up around the world

BY TIM NELSON

Pioneer Press

The Romans left their mark on the world paved roads, famous archaeological remains, characters in three of Shakespeare's plays. The British, too, dispatched their navy, their tea and their mother tongue to every corner of the globe.

If you can say there is an American empire, its surest symbol may be one of its humblest.

Behold the plastic patio chair.

A recent photo of an American Marine, just out of the bitter battle against insurgents in Ramadi, Iraq, showed the exhausted soldier slumped in a white plastic patio chair.

In Thailand, where 15,000 Hmong refugees are waiting outside Bangkok for resettlement to the United States, there are no flush toilets, health care plans or cars in their squatters' city. But there are signs of an American future patio chairs in every home. Five-foot stacks of them, often as not. Refugees set them out in every color and with a great flurry of seat-wiping when guests stop to talk.

They may be flimsy and cheap, but those chairs are chock full of some of the essential ingredients of America, regardless of where the plastic is actually poured into a mold.

To begin with, they're mass produced and interchangeable, products of that industrial process that Eli Whitney began with a gun factory in Connecticut in 1798 and Henry Ford perfected with the Model T assembly line in Michigan more than 100 years later.

Second, plastic chairs are cheap. Often priced at less than $5 each, they have that other key attribute of American consumer goods: They're practically disposable.

Still, those two attributes together aren't quite enough to make the plastic patio chair the molded essence of America.

Consider, by contrast, the bistro chair and the park bench, two other forms of leisure seating.

The bistro chair is practically the sina qua non of European culture, the furniture that transforms the sidewalk and boulevard into shared, habitable space compensation for the paucity of private property from Seville to Stockholm.

The bench, on the other hand, is often not much more than landscape. You can sit on it, sure, but it's usually a public fixture immutable and unoccupied.

The plastic patio chair sits on a middle ground. Maintenance free, it's meant to be a semipermanent object you can move, but you don't have to, since it's impervious to weather. It's sometimes anonymous but too flimsy to be public property.

Most important, it is designed for that uniquely American space, the backyard patio.

The chairs are too spindly-legged to be born of the bare ground of the Third World and too faux-stylish to be camping gear or office furniture.

And you know there isn't anybody sitting down on a slab of pavers next to the smoking Weber in Paris. You could build treated-wood decks forever across the Russian steppes, but not many people living there have the time or the dough for the sliding glass door in the back of their dacha.

No, those chairs were meant to stand spiffily at the intersection of Leisure and Plenty. Right at home behind Any Garage, U.S.A.

And like anything truly American, like Coke or Visa or Big Mac, the chairs are now popping up all over the world, supplanting native habits like the proverbial "third world squat." No need to sit back on your haunches and wrap your arms around your knees when you can now afford to take a seat, no matter how poor you might be.

It's the chair that conquered the world.

OWNAGE

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

mike27
crt expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
you realize his "proof" was web links to other websites speculating...

My proof was to other websites raising valid points based on evidence you can verify yourself through virtually any source you choose.

welcomerain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike27
First of all, you attack my credibility because I posted a single CNN link - and then you post three Fox News links? I need not say more.

As for your discussion of Berg's meeting with US soldiers (which dominated your post, despite taking up only a single line in my initial post), I hardly see how this disproves what I have said. You are simply regurgitating something we (those who have looked into the matter) already know.

And finally, as for the gold ring - these men believe what they are doing is MORAL and CORRECT. Unfortunately, your assertions about Islam are false, or simply half-truths. As I have said, Islam condones the killing of others if the cause is "moral". These men believe their cause is moral. Gold rings, on the other hand, are STRICTLY FORBIDDEN. Unlike murder, there is no way around this.

conservative media is difficult to come by these days. two fox links, and one boston globe, oh perceptive one.

that's it? that's your retort? how utterly dissapointing, mikey. t'sk t'sk.

the quran in itself is contradictory. you can appeal to ANY agenda provided you find a passage about it and remove it from context to justify any insensibility. maritain," bad men ruin good books." no text has been more maligned than the bible.

DigitalChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pra3t0r
Forward it to Art Bell while you're at it.
dude.. my dad is probably the exact opposite of me. he is very pro bush, and could instantly fling out a fact as to why any of my conspiracies were .

starting the prisoner abuse scandal pics he has been starting to agree with me.
i truely think the gov is getting super sloppy with this shit. people are going to start catching on.

of course the gov will just say "omg we found out this is a fake video created by the iraqis to make it look like we were in on it"

Kabal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike27
Unfortunately for you, both of my parents speak Russian (they grew up in Czechoslovakia when it was mandatory) and they have verified it. Sorry.

Sorry, but you are full of shit.

Russian is my native language (i.e. I was born in Russia, not Czechoslovakia) and I have went through the video about 3 times and there is no Russian there.

gazaktoid

have picture of guy i know in iraq in plastic patio chair

ViriiK
http://military.revenanteagle.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac
I thought Bin Lade nwas a leftie...

THE WALL ON THE RIGHT IS YELLOW!!! OMG IT WAS IN THE SAME PLACE AS THE PRISON..
- Proud Sponsor of the American Military-Industrial Complex

Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabal
Sorry, but you are full of shit.

Russian is my native language (i.e. I was born in Russia, not Czechoslovakia) and I have went through the video about 3 times and there is no Russian there.

MOSCOWNED

Hoglysis
I want to lix0r thechix0r <3 Hoglysis

too much assuming, Mike. You are assuming that they would not have worn a gold ring for any reason, that those terrorists care what the world thinks of them and the biggest piece of shit you pulled out; that because of the prisoner mistreating the Iraqis were swaying the general public of the world to their side. You assume that those guys were working with others for a large scale goal. This all adds up to . To discuss a possibility is one thing, but to pass this stuff off as fact is rediculous.

DigitalChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhaine
OWNAGE
nein. the only thing that article does is show more doubt about the link between the chairs.. and this just happens to be ONE of many listed facts

Squid

Quote:
THE WALL ON THE RIGHT IS YELLOW!!! OMG IT WAS IN THE SAME PLACE AS THE PRISON.. ::

FUCK! how did i miss that??

Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos
nein. the only thing that article does is show more doubt about the link between the chairs.. and this just happens to be ONE of many listed facts

one of the many listed OPINIONS

welcomerain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos

it's called satire. S. A. T. I. R. E.

DigitalChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglysis
too much assuming, Mike. You are assuming that they would not have worn a gold ring for any reason, that those terrorists care what the world thinks of them and the biggest piece of shit you pulled out; that because of the prisoner mistreating the Iraqis were swaying the general public of the world to their side. You assume that those guys were working with others for a large scale goal. This all adds up to . To discuss a possibility is one thing, but to pass this stuff off as fact is rediculous.
atleast his assumptions are specific
your assuptions (created for the sole reason to counter mike) are very very vague and without purpose

mike27
crt expert

Quote:
The Patio Chairs

Oh noes, you have crushed my theory by posting an article about the success of plastic patio chairs.

Closed Thread