General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Jehannum

How hard is it to avoid clipping? Woo, don't turn your gain all the way up.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

theWITNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
You're just a hater, and you wish you had one

I bought something a lot better:

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Seeking sound quality isn't a low dollar game -- if you can't afford proper parts, why bother at all? You shouldn't be skimping on anything.

theWITNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
Seeking sound quality isn't a low dollar game -- if you can't afford proper parts, why bother at all? You shouldn't be skimping on anything.

*hear hear*

I'm with him 100%

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWITNESS View Post
I bought something a lot better:

The only way it's better is that it's $300 cheaper, but both are good. Doesn't make pioneer "not worth it" bro. I'm no fanboy - I have a Alpine (Sony) deck, had an actual alpine before that, a JVC, Pioneer, Dual (felt like trying it) a lot of stuff basically.

Either way both are nice units, you just sound biased when you call pioneer "not worth it"

Quote:
How nice does clipping sound?

*long sigh*

Just about anything he is thinking about buying (coax/component) will work off almost any stock head unit without clipping. Should he need more power and decide to get an amp he can always read the owners manual

Last edited by [H]ard|On; 10-04-2011 at 06:51 PM..

[H]ard|On

Quote:

It doesn't have to be a high dollar game either, you can have some very impressive results for only a few hundred dollars inside a car cabin. Perfect? No but much better than stock.

If you had a fat wife and she lost weight would you give her a complement or tell her that unless she lost it all and became a supermodel it's pointless?

Maybe you would, if you're into fatties. Either way it is more accurate to say that super duper high end audio is expensive, but you can still manage the omgomg they're in the room kind of audio at home with DIY, or buy used. This is for HT i mean, not cars. With cars SQ matters less - the space sucks, speaker placement sucks, there's noises all around you. This is why i don't really do car audio any longer. Just don't care. I drive with enthusiasm and usually turn the radio off except traffic. :/

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

I never specified a specific cost, but it is much better to build a balanced system then to cheap out on a specific component, doing a disservice to the entire system and your ears.

To me, it isn't unreasonable to spend 150-200 per pair of speakers with around the same amount for a good quality amplifier. If you can't do this, then move down a range in speakers and match an amp to it -- or even better, save your money until you can afford higher-end. This of course falls back to what pleases your ear, if you can reach sonorous-bliss with a pair of 50$ two-way speakers wired into the back of your headunit then more power to you and the noises that please you. If you seek sound quality, it will cost you to do it right, but only once.

[H]ard|On

I vote for save and do it right. I think he has the money he's just being a hebrew about it

theWITNESS

Quote:
The only way it's better is that it's $300 cheaper, but both are good. Doesn't make pioneer "not worth it" bro. I'm no fanboy - I have a Alpine (Sony) deck, had an actual alpine before that, a JVC, Pioneer, Dual (felt like trying it) a lot of stuff basically.

The AVIC-D3 is what, like $700? The DNX-6140 was $1200 new when I bought it back in '07 or '08... whenever it'd just come out.

Either way, I've never had a good experience with Pioneer stuff. That being said, the front component speakers in my car are top-end Pioneers. They haven't blown despite being pounded and beat on (they're on the 3rd vehicle now... started on the Intrepid, went to the Mazda3, and now are in the Cooper). I'll give them that much.

and JVC & Dual don't even compare to the level of Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.

Jehannum

Are you aware of what $1200 can buy in terms of performance rather than being wasted on a radio, toerag?

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjr View Post
you guys are opening up a big can of worms with all your statements, not that it matters 'cause Lurker isn't going to keep the car/stereo system for very long

To be honest I don't know what the hell to do now. Too many options.

Quote:
I vote for save and do it right. I think he has the money he's just being a hebrew about it

You don't have to think ;-)

Money is tight so I am trying to curb needless spending, but I wanted something to tied me over for at most a year without breaking the bank. Maybe ill just get some open ear headphones again, a small headphone amp and plug that directly into my Sirius receiver. As gay as that sounds and looks, it might be the most elegant solution.

Someone mentioned buying used and honestly I am wary of buying used audio equipment. I once got mildly burned, and it wasn't by speakers from the back of a van, so I try to stay away. Too many people have no clue wtf they are doing.

Last edited by Lurker; 10-05-2011 at 07:13 AM..

Jehannum

If money is tight, just live with the stock radio, you fool.

It doesn't get any more needless than speakers you might keep for less than a year.

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Sometimes logic is illogical.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
To be honest I don't know what the hell to do now. Too many options.

You don't have to think ;-)

Money is tight so I am trying to curb needless spending, but I wanted something to tied me over for at most a year without breaking the bank. Maybe ill just get some open ear headphones again, a small headphone amp and plug that directly into my Sirius receiver. As gay as that sounds and looks, it might be the most elegant solution.

Someone mentioned buying used and honestly I am wary of buying used audio equipment. I once got mildly burned, and it wasn't by speakers from the back of a van, so I try to stay away. Too many people have no clue wtf they are doing.

Headphones while driving is both illegal and a bad idea

Snaps

EQ on great drivers = (IMO since you are changing the frequency response of a speaker tuned for a specific sound. If you don't like the non-eq'd driver switch to something else that fits your preferences)

EQ on crappy drivers = if done correctly (The drivers are already crap you might as well try to get them closer to your preferences)