General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by shidump View Post
Missed this the first time. Do you really want to even paint that car at all? It looks like it's in great original condition! That car would be much more desirable and valuable left in excellent original condition than repainted. In order to duplicate the quality of the original paint and make it better than what you have, you would be looking at $10-15k in an average shop in the bay area. If you were thinking about just scuffing it up and painting the outside, that's completely foolish. You'll spend at least a good couple grand and have a far inferior result.

If you were actually serious about the whole "body off" thing, please just forget it. That car is an original time capsule that should be left alone, unmolested. You will spend a fortune having it repainted properly, and even then it won't be as good as the original, as the original enamel that was shot on that car gives a different look than any modern two stage paint. It will be shiny, but it won't look right because it will be more of a candy look, instead of the rich depth that the original enamel provided. Just my .02, but you'd be foolish to do anything other than leave that car the excellent original condition that it is.

This shit, for sure. If you want to drive it, you want a survivor, not a restoration, for two reasons: 1) the cost of a restoration that will do it justice is going to exceed the amount that makes it reasonable to drive around, and 2) restorations always bring out little issues in the long run (they in no way pay the same cumulative amount of attention to your car that the factory workers did when they assembled it).

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

shidump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
This shit, for sure. If you want to drive it, you want a survivor, not a restoration, for two reasons: 1) the cost of a restoration that will do it justice is going to exceed the amount that makes it reasonable to drive around, and 2) restorations always bring out little issues in the long run (they in no way pay the same cumulative amount of attention to your car that the factory workers did when they assembled it).

Correct. There is a reason why top-notch restorations bring big money, because they took HUGE money to put together. You never, ever get back what you spent on high-dollar restorations, unless you're doing it purely for the love and enjoyment that you will get with the finished product. Even then, it's still big big money.
'71 Pontiac Bonneville - :o
'98 Dodge Ram - lolrig

Projects:
hellof

someone else

Quote:
-snip- loads of good information -snip-

For reference, I currently own five full size Pontiacs from the early '70s, and have owned five others that have come and gone, including three convertibles.

I know shitloads upon shitloads about these cars cause I love them to death. Yes, I am Rang3find3r. Have a nice day

What are you rolling around in these days?
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:
Nikon D300, Rolleiflex 2.8F, Nikon F100, Olympus OM-1, Pentax 645

Cannondale

Excellent posts guys, exactly the input I was looking for. Shidump's scathing post on respraying has persuaded me not to do so if I get this car. You're absolutly right - it is a time capsule.

As for the price it is Euro 18k or 14.4k or $22.6k. It is currently locate in Bruge, Belgium and the only cost should be having a truck drive it to me in the UK, which the seller will arrange and charge me for. Tax and customs at the port into the UK should be zero if my research is correct. Get her MOT'd and insured and off I go.

I was going to haggle on the price due to the paintwork but will now reconsider. However, this guy in Belgium has had this car listed since August last year which makes me wonder if other people think it is too high a price.

This is a 1975. Until this one caught my eye I had considered a '67-'69 Eldorado or a Lincoln Mark 4, mostly to dodge road tax. Think I'll go for this one.

Check out the rest of the cars he is selling or has sold guys; http://www.libertyoldtimers.com/index_en.html

Really nice photos of mint condition cars.

theWITNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannondale View Post
Check out the rest of the cars he is selling or has sold guys; http://www.libertyoldtimers.com/index_en.html

Awesome. I want a time capsule... but make mine a 60s Mustang convertible please.

someone else

Quote:
Excellent posts guys, exactly the input I was looking for. Shidump's scathing post on respraying has persuaded me not to do so if I get this car. You're absolutly right - it is a time capsule.

As for the price it is Euro 18k or 14.4k or $22.6k. It is currently locate in Bruge, Belgium and the only cost should be having a truck drive it to me in the UK, which the seller will arrange and charge me for. Tax and customs at the port into the UK should be zero if my research is correct. Get her MOT'd and insured and off I go.

I was going to haggle on the price due to the paintwork but will now reconsider. However, this guy in Belgium has had this car listed since August last year which makes me wonder if other people think it is too high a price.

This is a 1975. Until this one caught my eye I had considered a '67-'69 Eldorado or a Lincoln Mark 4, mostly to dodge road tax. Think I'll go for this one.

Oh I would definitely haggle. Its a car - always haggle.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:
Nikon D300, Rolleiflex 2.8F, Nikon F100, Olympus OM-1, Pentax 645

shidump

Quote:

Well now, at $22.6k I wouldn't have even started communication yet. I'd wait to even contact him until it came down to about $16k and probably be willing to pay somewhere around $10-12k. These cars just are not worth that much. As beautiful as it is condition wise, it's still a '75. The fact that it is that nice and hasn't sold in that time should confirm that for you.

I'd be walking away if he didn't take $12k, tops.
'98 Dodge Ram - lolrig

Projects:
hellof

shidump

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone else View Post
What are you rolling around in these days?

Have several toys these days, including the Bonneville I've had for years, the Continental that this forum has seen as well, a '71 Grand Ville convertible. And a newer Town Car as a daily driver

Yes, I've gone efi
'98 Dodge Ram - lolrig

Projects:
hellof

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

Quote:
Well now, at $22.6k I wouldn't have even started communication yet. I'd wait to even contact him until it came down to about $16k and probably be willing to pay somewhere around $10-12k. These cars just are not worth that much. As beautiful as it is condition wise, it's still a '75. The fact that it is that nice and hasn't sold in that time should confirm that for you.

I'd be walking away if he didn't take $12k, tops.

He's also in the UK, where these cars are much much more rare, considering that and the fact that the each owner wants to recoup the original import tax, could easily boost the price up

not sure how much the two are going to change the price from what US prices are, but they are worth considering

Asa of the Infidel Crew

shidump

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
He's also in the UK, where these cars are much much more rare, considering that and the fact that the each owner wants to recoup the original import tax, could easily boost the price up

not sure how much the two are going to change the price from what US prices are, but they are worth considering

Well, it's true that I didn't consider that whole overseas bit extensively, but I did adjust a little. I would have said $8-10k here. Maybe the overseas markup is higher than that, I dunno. But, it's still a '75, and that means it is less desirable and worth less.

As much as I love these cars, they just don't have a terribly active market. Hence its lack of sale since last August. That speaks volumes to me. You know that seller has gotten offers, yet no deal has been made.
'98 Dodge Ram - lolrig

Projects:
hellof

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

i agree on the active market part, everyone likes classic muscle cars, everyone wants a mustang or a camaro or whatnot, not everyone wants an old ass caddy

would probably be worth checking and seeing what similar cars are going for over there, then go off of that

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Cannondale

There have been a few for sale over the last 6 months or so. They seem to change hands for 10k-13k though all the ones I have watched have not been anywhere near as mint as this one.

This one is currently available at 16k; http://www.wix.com/kajagoogoo88/bluecaddy#!

Significantly less milage at 14k miles. I haven't ruled it out as it's already in the UK and would be a whole lot easier to get tested and on the road. I really want a pink one though!

I'll keep you guys updated on what I decide to do and cheers for the input.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

]
Quote:
Building up to getting myself one over here in the UK. Has anyone got any experience with a similar car? Reliability and how easy it is to fix myself are concerns.

Also, the one I have in mind is in mint condition but could use a respray to make it look as if it just came off the production line. What would a vague price be for a body off respray?

Ya might wanna read this thread, outside the problems he had, he went thru what you want to do, and the costs involved.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Jehannum

No, because then he has to register for some stupid Furd forum full of chinless fucks who think that a truck is a pretty good sports car.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
No, because then he has to register for some stupid Furd forum full of chinless fucks who think that a truck is a pretty good sports car.

Tell that to the bowel movement that couldn't keep up with me on the highway cloverleaf ramp last night.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~