General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Loose Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickChicFallen
argh, I'm on the Nuva Ring, and the stupid thing keeps trying to come out. Anyone else have that problem?

From www.NuvaRing.com:
Quote:
Staying in place

NuvaRing® cannot get lost inside of you. Although the vagina is flexible, it is not much longer than the palm of your hand. NuvaRing® cannot go farther than the cervix. The muscles of your vagina will keep the contraceptive ring securely in place, even during exercise or sex. You can check NuvaRing® periodically with your finger. However, on rare occasions NuvaRing® can slip out if it hasn't been fully inserted into the vagina, or when removing a tampon, moving the bowels, straining, or with severe constipation. Find out what you should do if NuvaRing® slips out.
So perhaps you simply haven't inserted it far enough?

"wow.. a 22k thread that doesnt suck" - jewbloob

Chief [M]icrosoft Hater of Gen[M]ay [M]ac Club.

23b1270ade80a399f61ee8f9b42a87dc

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Bravo_2

Okay, I might just be pointlessly paranoid... and I think I am a bit. However, I had sex with my girlfriend about 3 weeks ago and all goes well. I outlast her, so I take my condom off and cap myself off. Some of it gets on my hand and I wipe it all off, no problem, right? Anyways, a bit got on my finger before I wiped it off. A minute or two later I finger her. Mind you, this is after I wiped it all off, so this is less than precum... if any. Anyhow, I was just wondering what the chances are of anything forming inside of her. It is about time for her period and I just want someone's opinion or reassurance.
And to defend the fact that nothing happened, her boobs started (mildly) hurting at the exact time that she predicted before her period. She also did get a bit of nausea... one day. I think that is just life, though. We had a REAL syruppy sprite before that, so I think it got to her stomach and iritated it a bit. Outside of that, I just want to know the likelihood that anything could have happened.

Edit: Nevermind, she got it today without telling me

Last edited by Bravo_2; 12-17-2004 at 07:13 PM..

hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickChicFallen
argh, I'm on the Nuva Ring, and the stupid thing keeps trying to come out. Anyone else have that problem?

My girl just started it, no fall outs so far. Maybe you aren't pushing it in enough?

As for invasive, she says she doesn't even know it's there at all. (we have not sexed yet with it in place, but I imagine it will be fine)

bobb

i like being on my trifasil pill. orthotricyclen made me nauseous, and this one is just fine for me. plus, it really helped clearing up my acne. by the way, even though orthotricyclen is like the only one getting advertised for it's skin clearing abilities, they all do it (according to the ob/gyn i visit).

aaron31981

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobb
i like being on my trifasil pill. orthotricyclen made me nauseous, and this one is just fine for me. plus, it really helped clearing up my acne. by the way, even though orthotricyclen is like the only one getting advertised for it's skin clearing abilities, they all do it (according to the ob/gyn i visit).

The reason that Ortho-Tri-Cyclen is the only one that advertises acne clearing is because it is the only to have proven it. Remeber, for the FDA to allow DTC advertising, the manufacturer must have proven a significant (p<0.05) affect on the claim. Most companies are not willing to pony up the moeny for clinical trials, especially when Ortho-McNeil owns the brand names on the vast majority of the avaible OC's. I don't think they own the patent on Tri-Levlen (the brand name for which Tri-Phasil is the generic).

aaron31981

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayolachildren
depo-provera (which i am currently using) is not 50 dollar range, i mean depending where you are and who your dispenser is it can be 34-46 dollars, in canada, and thats for 3 months of course.

Canada is the key. Remember, we Americans subsidize the research for everyone, so you get cheaper prices and we get shafted.

When I was working as a tech in MN, I always had these customers coming in and saying how they could get X drug cheaper in Canada, and why can't they pay that here? I usually reminded them that it is illegal to import drugs, then I had to explain (in far greater detail than this) about research costs and how foreign governments have price controls.

I am now an intern in AZ, and so far noone has asked me about drug prices here vs. Canada or Mexico. Then again, I have only worked 5 days...

JMSlacker

I have a question about condoms
What is the preferred brand, if there is one?
I have heard that some brands are more/less reliable than others.
Is there any truth to this, or is a condom just a condom?

great thread...kthxbye

blinky

Quote:
Withdrawal ARP 19%
Taking it out before he spurts.
Pro: Full sensation.
Con: Sperm is present in low concentrations in the penile discharges long before orgasm, making this method about as effective as crossing your fingers. Ultimately unsatisfying, since you deprive yourselves of the opportunity to climax together. No protection against STDs.
id like to point out that if the man were to cum inside of her, she would only get pregnant about 20% of the time, so this method really has no effect. this is because the sperm in precum is the same as in ejaculated semen, and the reduced amount really doesnt have an effect, because theres so many spern in a small amount of semen.

just a heads up not to use this method
Pink Floyd Lover

blinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSlacker

great thread...kthxbye
get name brand stuff, i.e. trojan or durex

durex is thinner, but is probably easier to break
Pink Floyd Lover

LucidGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSlacker
Lifestyles. Used I've used lots, never had one break.

Obviously, a condom is not something you want to cheap out on.

Loose Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky
id like to point out that if the man were to cum inside of her, she would only get pregnant about 20% of the time, so this method really has no effect. this is because the sperm in precum is the same as in ejaculated semen, and the reduced amount really doesnt have an effect, because theres so many spern in a small amount of semen.

just a heads up not to use this method

Ummm... no. Sure, withdrawal isn't a great method, but this is all wrong. Until blinky provides recognised sources for his/her statements, I would advise everybody to treat his/her post as a bunch of crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Withdrawal ARP 19%
Taking it out before he spurts.
Pro: Full sensation.
Con: Sperm is present in low concentrations in the penile discharges long before orgasm, making this method about as effective as crossing your fingers. Ultimately unsatisfying, since you deprive yourselves of the opportunity to climax together. No protection against STDs.

No contraception ARP 85%.

To repeat - the ARP is the percentage likelihood of a pregnancy arising from one year of sexual activity using only that method of contraception. Out of 100 couples who use the withdrawal method, 19 get pregnant every year. Out of 100 couples who use no contraception, 85 get pregnant every year. These figures are taken from the FDA's own statistics.

Blinky, if you have a reliable source refuting this and backing up your post, I'd love to see it.

Bravo_2

Ive used Trojans and Durex. Put them on right and you will have no problems. Pinch the inch, get the air out - it's not a long process. Most people just slap it on and pull tight. Bad move. If it breaks when you do it right, it already has a hole in it - so watch out when you open it.

Waterbug

so when they say had sex for 1 year, does that mean like 365 times?

Loose Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbug
so when they say had sex for 1 year, does that mean like 365 times?

A valid question though...

Not necessarily. An ARP is nothing more than a statistic collected over a large population sample. It just means that the couple were sexually active on that contraceptive method alone for one year - but it averages out all levels of sexual activity. A couple who did it twice a day for a year count the same amount towards the statistic as a couple who did it once a week. But given that the sample would have been huge (since it is an ongoing study), the extremes are usually balanced out. I imagine that the overall average sexual activity of the population sample would probably have been about three times a week, but I can't find any concrete figures to back that up.

You must bear in mind that the ARP is a STATISTIC, not a PROBABILITY. Probabilities are virtually meaningless for biological systems, whereas statistics and precedents are usually pretty good indicators.

alehark

So I'd like to know two things, if you'd indulge me...

1) Is there any quality benifit to buying a box of store-condoms vs. the ones in bathroom vending machines?

2) If one were to masturbate beforehand, then several hours later engage, would it decrease the likelihood of a pregnancy assuming proper use of a condom?