General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Ignited

I'm a pretty small guy. I'm a good height (5'10"), but I'm barely pushing 140 lbs. Anyways, I'm on the market for a bike and I've had my eye on the Suzuki SV650S. I am absolutely enamored with this bike, but after doing some research, I'm worried that I'll have a difficult time handling it. Basically, I'm worried that it will be too heavy for me.

Can somebody weigh in on this and give their opinion? I don't mean to sound stubborn, but I REALLY have my heart set on this bike and I really want to get it, but if I simply won't be able to handle it then I need to know.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

onewheeldoin200
Your girlfriend likes my crotch rocket better

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonhuman
Montreal (or perhaps maybe Boston, depends on what college I go to)

To be honest, even though I live right near Boston, I haven't really looked at city streets during winter much. I thought that they don't hold snow or ice for long due to the traffic, though.

edit: Also heard that carbed bikes are a PITA to start in the cold. True?
Montreal often sees what...-20 or -30C in the winter? I don't think I'd advise riding a street bike in cold like that. And yes, carbs can be pretty hit and miss in cold weather. If you can get them started you also have to wait for them to get good and warm (at least 5 mins idling depending on how cold it is), or else they can stutter and lose power, which can be less than safe at a busy intersection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignited
I'm a pretty small guy. I'm a good height (5'10"), but I'm barely pushing 140 lbs. Anyways, I'm on the market for a bike and I've had my eye on the Suzuki SV650S. I am absolutely enamored with this bike, but after doing some research, I'm worried that I'll have a difficult time handling it. Basically, I'm worried that it will be too heavy for me.

Can somebody weigh in on this and give their opinion? I don't mean to sound stubborn, but I REALLY have my heart set on this bike and I really want to get it, but if I simply won't be able to handle it then I need to know.
How about this as a compromise: buy a mid 80's standard bike as a beater for your first summer, then next year go back and get that SV. Standards have lower seat heights, and a bike from the 80's is probably a little under the weather anyways, so if you DO drop it it won't be a big deal.

You will cry if/when you drop that beautiful new SV, and it's easy to do for a beginner on a bike where only your toes touch the ground

Anyways, the SV is about as light a bike as you can get that's over 500cc. If it starts to tip you should be able to catch it if you're on the ball....but I still recommend learning on a bike with a low seat, so that you can have both feet firmly planted for leverage, and lighter weight ( a 250 would be ideal for your first few times on a bike...take an MSF course! They'll usually provide 250's for you to use.) If you were to take an MSF course and get at least a little bit of riding time I'd be less inclined to steer you away from the SV, but for an absolute beginner there's no question that it's a lot of bike to handle (more in terms of power than weight, really).

Passion > Precision

Last edited by onewheeldoin200; 04-20-2005 at 11:08 AM..

Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheeldoin200
How about this as a compromise: buy a mid 80's standard bike as a beater for your first summer, then next year go back and get that SV. Standards have lower seat heights, and a bike from the 80's is probably a little under the weather anyways, so if you DO drop it it won't be a big deal.

You will cry if/when you drop that beautiful new SV, and it's easy to do for a beginner on a bike where only your toes touch the ground

Anyways, the SV is about as light a bike as you can get that's over 500cc. If it starts to tip you should be able to catch it if you're on the ball....but I still recommend learning on a bike with a low seat, so that you can have both feet firmly planted for leverage, and lighter weight ( a 250 would be ideal for your first few times on a bike...take an MSF course! They'll usually provide 250's for you to use.) If you were to take an MSF course and get at least a little bit of riding time I'd be less inclined to steer you away from the SV, but for an absolute beginner there's no question that it's a lot of bike to handle (more in terms of power than weight, really).

Awesome, man. I really appreciate the advice! Hahaha but I'm in love with that SV! Ah well, I still have a while to think about it and explore some more options. Thanks again.

ReaperKK

Wow this thread is great. I'm 18 and I took MSF and got a GS500 and I love it, I can't complain. I don't think I will ever stop riding it. As for frame sliders their are none available but a guy over at the gstwin forums is making some for the new models of the GS500 so I can wait to get mine.

s0ad

what are the limitations/restrictions of a motorcycle permit? like with a car driving permit if you're under 18 or whatever you can only drive with a parent or whoever over 21. Is there stuff like that for motorcycles?

c215ac350d6d22584ee39320e9fa605c

Last edited by s0ad; 04-20-2005 at 08:58 PM..

ReTECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ad
what are the limitations/restrictions of a motorcycle permit? like with a car driving permit if you're under 18 or whatever you can only drive with a parent or whoever over 21. Is there stuff like that for motorcycles?
Depends on your state. WA recently changed ours. Currently it's no passengers & no night riding. I think it was previously those 2 plus no freeways, but I'm not positive.

Stajerker

I'm thinking of buying my first bike this summer (I'm 18 turning 19 this summer), and I live in Ontario. I've been looking for the beginner bikes recommended at the beginning of this thread, and I really havent been able to find many.
The bikes that I've been encountering (that look appealing to me, I would like a sporty looking bike, I will not buy a too-powerful bike to start, I dont want to die) some late 80s/early 90s 600cc sportbikes (mainly Honda CBR's - Hurricanes (what does that mean) and F1, F2 models), or 500cc Honda Interceptors (im not considering the 750cc ones, too powerful I think) i've also found a couple Yamaha RZ350's and one or two Kawasaki EX500's.

What one of these bikes would be a good choice? are they all too much power too handle? I'm 6'3", and 210lbs, so would I even be abled to fit on a bike?

Also, how long do bikes last? Alot of the late 80's bikes have upwards or 50-60 thousand km;s on them, will they last?

Lastly, is thier something equal to the MSF course in Ontario that I can take?? I dont think that they offer the MSF course here...

onewheeldoin200
Your girlfriend likes my crotch rocket better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stajerker
I'm thinking of buying my first bike this summer (I'm 18 turning 19 this summer), and I live in Ontario. I've been looking for the beginner bikes recommended at the beginning of this thread, and I really havent been able to find many.
The bikes that I've been encountering (that look appealing to me, I would like a sporty looking bike, I will not buy a too-powerful bike to start, I dont want to die) some late 80s/early 90s 600cc sportbikes (mainly Honda CBR's - Hurricanes (what does that mean) and F1, F2 models), or 500cc Honda Interceptors (im not considering the 750cc ones, too powerful I think) i've also found a couple Yamaha RZ350's and one or two Kawasaki EX500's.

What one of these bikes would be a good choice? are they all too much power too handle? I'm 6'3", and 210lbs, so would I even be abled to fit on a bike?

Also, how long do bikes last? Alot of the late 80's bikes have upwards or 50-60 thousand km;s on them, will they last?

Lastly, is thier something equal to the MSF course in Ontario that I can take?? I dont think that they offer the MSF course here...

Well, here's a place to start for safety courses: http://www.ridertraining.ca/M1X-description.html
http://www.rideomsa.com/

As for the bikes, any older bike 600cc or smaller is probably fine, especially since you're not exactly a twig. I'd recommend the ex500 as probably the best overall though. Because it's techincally under 500cc, you should probably save a good deal on insurance, too.

Bikes are much higher maintenance than cars, obviously. 50 000km can be a LOT for a bike that isn't kept up. Mind you, I've seen BMW's and Kawasaki Concours and the like with upwards of 200 000km on them. With anything more than 20 000km, there's probably going to be some things you'll have to fix. I would look very closely at brake wear (rotors too), chains and sprockets, bearings(are they worn/loose), cable and hydraulic housings (deep cracks = replace and drain + bleed hydraulics), etc etc. Other things like valve clearances and whatnot are harder to check, but keep in mind that most bikes need valve adjustments every 15 000km or so. Get someone who really knows their stuff to come with you when you go looking and get them to take the bike for a spin. They should be able to get a good idea of what kind of shape the thing is in.

Hope that helps.

Passion > Precision

Stajerker

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheeldoin200
Well, here's a place to start for safety courses: http://www.ridertraining.ca/M1X-description.html
http://www.rideomsa.com/
snip...
Get someone who really knows their stuff to come with you when you go looking and get them to take the bike for a spin. They should be able to get a good idea of what kind of shape the thing is in.

Hope that helps.

Well, herein lies the problem. I know ONE person who rides, and he is the dad of a guy (not even really a freind) I know. I highly doubt he'd do it, we've never got on very well (If I DO find a bike in the area though I will ask him, cant hurt, and he currently rides an R6, so he knows how to ride sportbikes). I was wondering if there would be somewhere I could take the bike in...but if I cant drive it there, I wonder how to get it there? Would the seller ride it there for me, and I could follow in a car?

Thanks ALOT for the help though. If I cant possibly get it checked out, if the seller has reciepts for work done/maintenance records, would that suffice? I will definatly take one of the courses you linked before, so by the time I'm purchasing a bike, I will have my M2, but I doubt the seller would let some random kid who doesnt own a bike go anywhere on the bike, and even if he did, I doubt i'd know if something wasnt working right.

edit: I'm very mechanically inclined...and with a manual, I'm pretty sure I could fix almost anything...so the jobs of brakes and clutch cable and other stuff I could do in due time by myself.

Last edited by Stajerker; 04-22-2005 at 12:28 PM..

ReTECH

I would say, if you can't possibly get it checked out, it's not time to get a (used) bike yet...

Figure out a way to make friends with people that specifically have bikes. Go to bike shops & try to chat up the mechanics. Sure you'll get tossed out of some, or given the cold shoulder, but someone will be nice. If you can't / won't / whatever, make biker contacts, you're taking a gamble buying used. Maybe you'll win, maybe not.

$0.02

edit: Once you have a shop lined up, just ask any potential seller to meet you there. Do arrange it with the shop beforehand, though.

Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3
I wave to everybody, any biker out there.

This is something that I'm really looking forward to when I start riding.

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignited
This is something that I'm really looking forward to when I start riding.
I even wave to the people riding scooters - they seems to get a kick out of it and wave all happy-like.
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWhoKnows
I even wave to the people riding scooters - they seems to get a kick out of it and wave all happy-like.

I had a dude on a sportbike wave to me and a buddy when we were riding down a hill on road bikes at 35mph.

VulcaN
Show us your tits sweetie

I wove to a cop on a bike once and he turned around and started to write a ticket but changed his mind once he saw me wearing full gear and probably the fact that I was really polite. At least I didnt make fun of his oil leaker heh

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcaN
I wove to a cop on a bike once and he turned around and started to write a ticket but changed his mind once he saw me wearing full gear and probably the fact that I was really polite. At least I didnt make fun of his oil leaker heh
He pulled you over for waving to him?
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"