General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Closed Thread

Nano

The Rules And FAQ

The rules, at least what I've got so far:

1. This is the Pit. Flames happen. If someone says something that offends you, ignore them, offend them back, or leave. Don't complain to the mods here or to GenMay admins because your feelings were hurt. The only reason people are ejected from the Pit is clear rules violations.

2. As a lot of Pit regulars post from work, do not use images that are NSFW. If you want to provide a link, warn that the link is NSFW.

3. Debates: these are the core of the Pit. Debate threads have a few requirements:
a) The title must reflect the topic.
b) You MUST state your own opinion. Simply posting someone else's work is not enough.
4. Posting news articles and such.
a. If the link requires a login to read the article, either post a login or quote the relevant sections of the article.
b. If you post a link to an audio or video source, provide a synopsis for those who cannot view/listen.
c. Do not copy/paste more than the equivalent of a printed page. We can all click a link. Nobody wants to start on a thread that begins with five pages of text.
5. Callouts
a. The title of a calloust MUST be "Callout: <person's name>"
b. "You suck" is not a valid callout. If you've got a good reason to call someone out, share it with the class. This means providing links and/or quotes relating to the callout.
c. you don't get to decide who wins the callout. The Pit does.
d. If the target of the callout does not show, they lose. As if it matters.
6. This is not GenMay (aka spam rules)
a. No poster may have more than three threads on page 1 at a time
b. Callouts are not included in this limit. You may have no more than two callouts at once.
c. If you have three threads on the first page that were created more than two weeks ago, you may create up to two more.
d. You must contribute more than you spam. If the mods find your posts to be consistently lacking in content, you may be warned. Continued spamming will result in a KC or banning from the Pit.
7. As if it weren't obvious ( Apparently it isn't ) Moderators have final discretion on nigh on anything. If you have a problem with that, feel free to ask, and then shut the fuck up if we keep our decision.

PM Questions to Nano or Kevin.

Last edited by PopeKevinI; 02-18-2007 at 05:06 AM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Nano

The FAQ:

What is the Pit?

The Pit is a forum designed to keep serious debates and arguments from clogging up GenMay.

Is the Pit as old as GenMay?

I don't know. It's been here at least since the [S]oapbox on HardOCP went away. That's when I made the move. It probably is, but I'm too lazy to ask the bigshots.

What should I post here?

It should be controversial, debateable, and at least somewhat intelligent. Not every news article, web site, and wacky idea can be debated. Politics and religion are a mainstay of the Pit.

So does that mean I should make a thread to tell everyone that God doesn't exist / that God loves them all?

No. First of all, there's no content. You're not presenting anything for debate above your own opinion, which can't be debated. Second, that's really nothing more than an inflamatory statement, and your thread will probably be locked for trolling. If you want to start an honest debate, you have to present your opinion and support it with facts.

Okay. Now what's this about callouts?

Callouts are for when personal issues get too big to be sorted out in the threads they started in. Rather than taking your problems and crapping them on every thread you see, you make a callout thread. See the rules if you want to know how to make a callout that won't get locked.

Whaa!!! I called someone out and he called me names! What should I do?

Call him names back. Or put him on ignore and pretend you're superior to him for no good reason. Or go running to your mother. I don't care. Just leave me alone.

I'm gonna go listen to some Linkin Park.

Fine. Beat it.

Burden Of Proof

If you post something, the burden of proof is on you to prove authenticity, if challenged. Source is not necessarily an admission of proof.

Last edited by PopeKevinI; 01-16-2007 at 06:48 PM..

PopeKevinI

New rules regarding locked threads:

If any mod--Pit or otherwise--locks a thread, they need to post why they are locking the thread. If a user pay-locks a thread, they need to PM both PopeKevinI and Nano to inform us that the thread was pay-locked. Include a link to the thread. We promise as our end of the deal to not divulge information on who pay-locked a thread. It is currently anonymous, and will stay that way...but we need to know.

Any thread locked without a mod posting why or a PM from a user pay-locking it is subject to being unlocked at our discretion.

To sum up the important part: If you pay to lock a thread, PM me and Nano and tell us you did it and link to the thread. If you don't, we will unlock the thread and you'll be wasting money.

sanjay

you have your name back. keep up the good work.

möbiustrip

New rule regarding locked threads: yes, I actually have dice, and rolling them to see if your stupid thread gets to stay open makes me giggle.

Closed Thread