General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

BPJ

.300 win mag, should I take it over a .308?

I was looking at a Savage 110FP today at the local shop. $460 for a NIB .308

He has another 110FP in .300 Winchester Magnum that is NIB with a Leopould scope base and rings for $400. A guy bought it and the base/rings but got married and his wife didn't like guns, so he wasn't able to keep it. Never left the store, as they bought a Choate stock for it and was going to put it on but got married.

He said he'd let me have the stock for $80, so $480 total for the .300WM rifle, base/rings, and Choate stock.

.300 is just so expensive though compared to the .308 I was planning on gettting.

Any idears?

Wood, wood, wood. Would you please get that penis out of my butt?

That's a good poem.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Heathen-Yak
OMGDIE2U

20 bucks more? that's not so expensive unless you mean ammo, then yah it's more expensive. I'm not a big fan of long guns but i'm pretty sure the 300 winmag is more powerful than .308

darwin
The most perfect balls evar <3 Wayne Newton

I mean if you're going to be shooting it all the time, maybe consider the .308 but for $20 more, and that setup, I'd go with the 300 no question.

BPJ

I was looking at building that sort of rifle in the future. A bolt action like the FN PBR or Rem 700. If this is really that good of a deal ($480 for the rifle, rings, stock) then I may jump a little earlier than I had planned on.

A cop traded in his KelTec P11 today while I was in there, may work a deal on it (labeled $200) and the rifle.

That's a good poem.

xDagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin
I mean if you're going to be shooting it all the time, maybe consider the .308 but for $20 more, and that setup, I'd go with the 300 no question.
that sums it up
Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter of the Executor
My other Sig is a gun.

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

I'll sell you my 2 year old Savage .308 with accutrigger, prob same model u were looking at for $460, I'll sell it for $300.

only selling to buy more camera stuff, and I have a 243 now, 1 rifle is enough for me. I love the savage though, the trigger is AMAZINGLY awesome.

That German Guy
Moderation is key. Especially in forums.

If you shoot a LOT, go for .308.

Otherwise, 300 win mag FTW... I love mine to bits.
WISDOM

BPJ

Well went ahead and bought it today.

Kel-Tec P11 with 2 mags + belt clip + mag extensions for $200 (trade-in)
New Savage 110 in .300 Winchester Magnum with base/rings for $400
Got the Choate stock for $80 which was below my dealer cost, so bought it, will resell.
Bought 5 boxes of Federal .300WM for $14 a box, cheaper than the PMC Bronze which cost me $14.49 before shipping.

May switch the optics on another rifle and put on this one (have a nicer one on my .22 CZ Silohuete (however you spell it). It's a big bore scope, not for .22s.

Maybe a McMillan stock at some point.

That's a good poem.

punisher

I can say a 300WIN or 300WBY gets damned old at the range after about 15 shots or so. If you plan to do a lot of shooting at 300+ yards and/or plan on heavier game a 300WIN mag is a happy choice. If you want to punch paper or hunt medium game at "normal" ranges a 308 is plenty. I have 3 rifles and the 300 WBY don't get pulled out that much anymore.

darwin
The most perfect balls evar <3 Wayne Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher
I can say a 300WIN or 300WBY gets damned old at the range after about 15 shots or so. If you plan to do a lot of shooting at 300+ yards and/or plan on heavier game a 300WIN mag is a happy choice. If you want to punch paper or hunt medium game at "normal" ranges a 308 is plenty. I have 3 rifles and the 300 WBY don't get pulled out that much anymore.
Personal opinion, no sense in arguing over that. He did get the win mag though, so I guess you're saying you like it more than a regular 300 win?

MdBlades

If your shooting target, Black hills makes match grade .300 WM for a good price. But I do hope you have a good recoil pad. the .300 WM is considered one of the most brutal recoiling .30 calibers.

I caught the jeep thing, now it burns when i pee.

2k7 Wrangler unlimted.

punisher

Quote:
Personal opinion, no sense in arguing over that. He did get the win mag though, so I guess you're saying you like it more than a regular 300 win?

True, true, about opinion that is. I remember all the times I took the 300 to the range and all the load development work I put into it and my shoulder afterwards. Just not a big fan of recoil when I dont need it. I don't favor one caliber over another necessarily, they just have different strengths.

Damn good price on the ammo by the way.

MdBlades

Quote:

You should be confused, there's no such thing as a .300 win.

I caught the jeep thing, now it burns when i pee.

2k7 Wrangler unlimted.

punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdBlades
You should be confused, there's no such thing as a .300 win.

You know he is talking about 300Winmag.

BPJ

One bummer I found is that they are 30mm rings. Had been looking at 1" scopes. Not a big deal I guess, just finding a decent, good value 30mm seems more difficult. It had a Leupold LPS on it, but I can't drop $1,000 on glass right now.

I figure 100 rounds will last me a while considering it's probably not going to be the most gentle thing to shoot. I plan on getting another stock. Looking at Midway there is a good selection. I really need a heavy stock like the Choate USS, to balance the weight of the barrel, it's a heavy fucker. Very front heavy with the stock stock (har!).

That's a good poem.