General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Liquid_pjear
Click, Click, Bloody Click, Pancakes!
 
$2500 to spend on guns.

I am expecting about a $2500 bonus this year and plan to spend it on guns before Obama gets too radical. I am just torn about what I should buy. I contemplated blowing my budget on a Nighthawk T3 or Sako TRG22 .308 but I want more. So now I am looking at buying an AR-15, an inexspensive .308, and a new pistol. So genmay if you were buying a black rifle, a bolt-action .308, and a pistol for $2500 what would you buy?

My current list:
RRA Elite CAR UTE2
Savage 10fp in .308
H&K USP .45

Also my buddy was planning to buy an AR-15 and a nice .308 would we be out of line going into a local gun shop and bargaining if we are planning to buy 5 guns?
Old 11-07-2008, 12:14 PM Liquid_pjear is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Heathen-Yak
OMGDIE2U
 
Heathen-Yak's Avatar
 
The rifle is a good choice, my AR is 1/4 bushmaster, 3/4 RRA. The Savage is a good choice. I'd pass on the USP, H&K hates their US consumers, Buy something from a more consumer friendly company like........glock, as much as it pains me to speak their name.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:47 PM Heathen-Yak is offline  
Reply With Quote
#2  

McMahan
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_pjear View Post
I am expecting about a $2500 bonus this year and plan to spend it on guns before Obama gets too radical. I am just torn about what I should buy. I contemplated blowing my budget on a Nighthawk T3 or Sako TRG22 .308 but I want more. So now I am looking at buying an AR-15, an inexspensive .308, and a new pistol. So genmay if you were buying a black rifle, a bolt-action .308, and a pistol for $2500 what would you buy?

My current list:
RRA Elite CAR UTE2
Savage 10fp in .308
H&K USP .45

Also my buddy was planning to buy an AR-15 and a nice .308 would we be out of line going into a local gun shop and bargaining if we are planning to buy 5 guns?

Personally I would invest all of that money in guns/accessories you want/will want in the future that have a good possibility of being targeted under a new AWB. AR's, AK's, basically any semi-auto gun that has a pistol grip, collapsing/folding stock, flash hider, has ability to take a mag greater than 10 rounds, etc. should be high on your list. The more evil features they have the higher up they should be IMO. I would definitely hold off on anything bolt action for the time being, there will be plenty of time for those down the road. The USP .45 I'd probably hold off on as well, but IIRC it does have a 12 round mag? If so, grab a handful or more of the mags if you're sure on the pistol and buy it later. AR mags- buy 'em cheap stack 'em deep, there are still some places online that have reasonably priced mags, get them while you can.

As far as gun stores, it depends on the shop obviously, but most places will definitely cut you a deal for multiple purchases (ask me how I know - haha). I doubt many retail chain stores that sell guns would bargain very much.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:54 PM McMahan is offline  
Reply With Quote
#3  

Liquid_pjear
Click, Click, Bloody Click, Pancakes!
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMahan View Post
Personally I would invest all of that money in guns/accessories you want/will want in the future that have a good possibility of being targeted under a new AWB. AR's, AK's, basically any semi-auto gun that has a pistol grip, collapsing/folding stock, flash hider, has ability to take a mag greater than 10 rounds, etc. should be high on your list. The more evil features they have the higher up they should be IMO. I would definitely hold off on anything bolt action for the time being, there will be plenty of time for those down the road. The USP .45 I'd probably hold off on as well, but IIRC it does have a 12 round mag? If so, grab a handful or more of the mags if you're sure on the pistol and buy it later. AR mags- buy 'em cheap stack 'em deep, there are still some places online that have reasonably priced mags, get them while you can.

That was my reasoning for getting the AR-15 now, I actually thought about going ahead and buying many many mags and several lowers. The potential for the ban on the USP was my reasoning for choosing it. I really want a 1911 but I have been spoiled shooting nighthawks for the past 6 months or so. I would rather wait until I can afford the one I really want instead of buying a kimber or the like now and a nighthawk later. I also thought about getting 2 AR variants right now a .223 with a short barrel and a heavy barreled AR chambered for .308.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:40 PM Liquid_pjear is offline  
Reply With Quote
#4  

Therapist
IMNobody's last title
 
Therapist's Avatar
 
My friend has an AK chambered in .223 and it's an awesome gun. Made by IZH. Only problem is finding mags for it.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:30 PM Therapist is offline  
Reply With Quote
#5  

McMahan
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_pjear View Post
That was my reasoning for getting the AR-15 now, I actually thought about going ahead and buying many many mags and several lowers. The potential for the ban on the USP was my reasoning for choosing it. I really want a 1911 but I have been spoiled shooting nighthawks for the past 6 months or so. I would rather wait until I can afford the one I really want instead of buying a kimber or the like now and a nighthawk later. I also thought about getting 2 AR variants right now a .223 with a short barrel and a heavy barreled AR chambered for .308.

I can't really see a ban on USP's, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mag capacity limit put in place. The only ones I would potentially be worried about are the Tactical and SD models due to threaded barrels. I think just getting some USP mags now would be the safest bet if you know you want the psitol down the road. Standard 1911's will probably be safe for quite awhile, I'm sure you have the time to get together the funds for one of those. Believe me, just start with what you want, otherwise you will get something to tide you over and still lust after the pistol you really wanted in the first place. I think you should definitely go with your 2 AR idea or at minimum an AR with a shitload of mags and a couple of lowers. Just be careful of the pricing, the boys are out to make a quick buck right now and lower/AR pricing has been ridiculous at a lot of online retailers.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:02 PM McMahan is offline  
Reply With Quote
#6  

vastabo
 
USPs

I'm partial to HKs, actually, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I drank their kool-aid. That being said, you can do a lot better than a USP within HK's product lineup. I would highly recommend that you shoot a USP before laying out ~$700 (yeah, yeah, yeah); it is a difficult weapon to master, especially in .45 (high bore axis, funky trigger, plastic frame doesn't absorb as much recoil as your 1911).

See if you can lay hands on an HK45 or P30--they have much better ergonomics and they finally got rid of that goddamn trigger bar detent that makes your double action mode feel like its full of sand.

Anyway, once you get used to HKs, they really do live up to the hype.
__________________
This job would be great if it weren't for the fscking customers.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:39 PM vastabo is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7  

Liquid_pjear
Click, Click, Bloody Click, Pancakes!
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastabo View Post
I'm partial to HKs, actually, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I drank their kool-aid. That being said, you can do a lot better than a USP within HK's product lineup. I would highly recommend that you shoot a USP before laying out ~$700 (yeah, yeah, yeah); it is a difficult weapon to master, especially in .45 (high bore axis, funky trigger, plastic frame doesn't absorb as much recoil as your 1911).

See if you can lay hands on an HK45 or P30--they have much better ergonomics and they finally got rid of that goddamn trigger bar detent that makes your double action mode feel like its full of sand.

Anyway, once you get used to HKs, they really do live up to the hype.

I have probably put about 300 rounds through a USP in the past 6 months or so. I spent a lot of time trying to decide between it and a 1911. I can get pretty good groupings at 25 yards but still not as tight or as easy as the Nighthawk. The only real issue I have with the USP is the shape, it just feels bulky.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:13 PM Liquid_pjear is offline  
Reply With Quote
#8  

vastabo
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_pjear View Post
The only real issue I have with the USP is the shape, it just feels bulky.

It is bulky; my USPc printed through my clothes all the time when I carried it. HK beveled the slide on the HK45 and P30 to slim it down a bit, but what they did to the grip (esp. the P30) is a wonder nothing short of magic. Just hold one of those pistols--it melts into your hand.

Try not to have money in your pocket when you do it...

Oh, one other thing--about HK's customer service--I've had to call their armorers twice (once for advice and once to order a new disconnector that I fucking launched and never found again). Their customer service is pretty slow--you a leave a voicemail and they call you back a few days later, but even still, I was treated with courtesy and respect (even being a civilian yahoo with the temerity to disassemble one of their precious pistols).

I think they're just understaffed. Still, when I've dealt with Springfield or S&W, I get instant results.

Anyway, it's your choice--go with what you know.
__________________
This job would be great if it weren't for the fscking customers.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:27 AM vastabo is offline  
Reply With Quote
#9  

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com
 
DHermit's Avatar
 
I'd also recommend buying a lot of ammo, as Obama would love to tax the shit out of ammo so it's almost unaffordable. Keep that in mind when purchasing your guns. Also, lots of magazines.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:06 PM DHermit is offline  
Reply With Quote
#10  

Liquid_pjear
Click, Click, Bloody Click, Pancakes!
 
I think I have decided to buy two AR-15s, 20 PMags, 2000 rounds of cheap ammo and about 500 of the good stuff.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:10 PM Liquid_pjear is offline  
Reply With Quote
#11  

st1650
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_pjear View Post
I think I have decided to buy two AR-15s, 20 PMags, 2000 rounds of cheap ammo and about 500 of the good stuff.

Wise decision.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:41 PM st1650 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#12  

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com
 
DHermit's Avatar
 
I'd go with one AR, 10 PMag's, 1000 rounds, and some optics like an eotech or something. Then add on a handgun.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:43 PM DHermit is offline  
Reply With Quote
#13  

Liquid_pjear
Click, Click, Bloody Click, Pancakes!
 
I have already accepted I am going to go over the budget, tis the season to blow money though. I am looking at getting one just run-of-the-mill ar-15 and one with an EOTech 512, a nice hand guard, and of course a tacticool light.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:47 AM Liquid_pjear is offline  
Reply With Quote
#14  

McMahan
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_pjear View Post
I have already accepted I am going to go over the budget, tis the season to blow money though. I am looking at getting one just run-of-the-mill ar-15 and one with an EOTech 512, a nice hand guard, and of course a tacticool light.

Nice, let's see some pics when you get them in!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:58 PM McMahan is offline  
Reply With Quote
#15  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:13 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.