General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

McKnight
MOST AMAZING TITLE EVER LOL WORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by enozix
Ohhh I didn't mean that I was going to buy a new bike. I know that doing so would be foolish. I was thinking of getting a decent used one. I have a neighbor that is a motorcycle cop who said he would go with me when I was ready to buy.

Perhaps A[M] could make some suggestions for a good starter bike in the cruiser class. I am not too interested in a sport bike. I am looking for something in the 450-600cc area (Is this even too much?) I also have my eye on the Vulcan 500cc.

I definately will take your advice and get my MSF course and gear taken care of first.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Ive only ridden on the back of 600 and 750 cruisers which was nice and comfy but...it wasnt exectly passing everyone. More cc's on a cruiser means more weight and torque than hp, while almost opposite on a sportbike. a 1100cc silverado will get you to 85 much faster than a 600cc, though dont expect any of them to go past that ( especially with a sissy bar )

I guess what im saying is, if you do decide to go bigger, its not going to be as much as a slap in the face as you would think. If at all.

And vulcan is a good choice. If I couldnt get a v-rod or a v-max, thats what I would get.

Last edited by HunteR; 11-08-2005 at 10:10 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunteR
Ive only ridden on the back of 600 and 750 cruisers which was nice and comfy but...it wasnt exectly passing everyone. More cc's on a cruiser means more weight and torque than hp, while almost opposite on a sportbike. a 1100cc silverado will get you to 85 much faster than a 600cc, though dont expect any of them to go past that ( especially with a sissy bar ).

Couldn't you go up a tooth or two on the front sprocket, and regain some of the top end?

MajrFapj

Quote:
Originally Posted by enozix
I just found this thread today and have found it extremely helpful. I recently became interested in motorcycles and plan on taking a MSF course in the near future. The reason I am posting is for an opinion on the Honda Shadow VLX as a starter motorcycle. Based on information posted above, it seems like a reasonable choice-583cc, 452lbs, and has a low seating position. (These numbers are directly from the Honda website for the '06 model). For reference I am 6'2 and 170lb.

That's an excellent choice for a starter bike.
Bulletproof reliability, and sharp-looking ftw.

im2smrt4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWhoKnows
A lot of bikes are technically "not too much" if you stay out of the powerband. Also, your style of bike is generally very mild when compared to sportbikes. I'm inclined to say that a modern 600cc is much harder to learn on than your 1100cc V-Twin.
Haven't ridden a sport bike, but my friend said he rode an R6 and it scared the shit out of him, and he's been riding a cruiser for a couple years now.

im2smrt4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunteR
Ive only ridden on the back of 600 and 750 cruisers which was nice and comfy but...it wasnt exectly passing everyone. More cc's on a cruiser means more weight and torque than hp, while almost opposite on a sportbike. a 1100cc silverado will get you to 85 much faster than a 600cc, though dont expect any of them to go past that ( especially with a sissy bar )

I guess what im saying is, if you do decide to go bigger, its not going to be as much as a slap in the face as you would think. If at all.

And vulcan is a good choice. If I couldnt get a v-rod or a v-max, thats what I would get.
Why would the sissy bar make that much of a difference? Drag?

If so, I can get to 95-100MPH pretty quick and I've got a windsheild.

McKnight
MOST AMAZING TITLE EVER LOL WORDS

Yea I kind of exaggerated that a little :x

WickedAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2smrt4u
Haven't ridden a sport bike, but my friend said he rode an R6 and it scared the shit out of him, and he's been riding a cruiser for a couple years now.

I'm not surprised, considering how different the two types of bikes are. I lifted my front tire a little on accident today just by getting a little to heavy on it in second. It didn't scare me, but I was taken aback a little...

hunky_funkster

Hi Guys

i'm still on my first proper bike, which is a 1000cc Aprilia Caponord. it's way more capable than i am, but ive managed to thrash it a few times. i lifted the front wheel 3 days after i bought it. scared myself shitless too, hehe.

any bike can be ridden safely as long as you respect it, cos when they bite they bite hard

Lex

SoulChaser

I am going crazy, winter started and I do not think I will be on a bike until April. I hate New England right now. I should have got my permit in May instead of August (well actually July but I did not ride street till August)

Anyone else singing the winter blues?

Psilocybes

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/116359562.html

what questions should I ask about this bike before buying?

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunky_funkster
Hi Guys

i'm still on my first proper bike, which is a 1000cc Aprilia Caponord. it's way more capable than i am, but ive managed to thrash it a few times. i lifted the front wheel 3 days after i bought it. scared myself shitless too, hehe.

any bike can be ridden safely as long as you respect it, cos when they bite they bite hard

Lex

Dude, nice pick with the dual-sport upright style bike. Get your ass over to Adventure Rider and see what guys are doing with bikes like yours on the weekend. With some light knobbies, that Caponord will rip up fire roads and take you into some beautiful scenery.

Kaizen

Hey, I'm thinking about getting my first motorcycle and wanted to know what you guy's thought. I'm interested in a Yamaha xj600 seca 2, I found on craigslist: http://www.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/118051066.html
Thoughts, reccomendations? Btw, I'm 6'3 185lbs.

Psilocybes

hehe i was looking at the exact same bike. I'm in Oakland...

Psilocybes

Salvage title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigsList
I am the second owner of this motorcycle and the original owner said after he cracked the fairings at low miles, ONLY fairings were replaced by insurance company and that is how it got salvaged title.

A salvage title means the bike would cost more to repair than it would cost to buy a new one right? He says the bike runs perfect but... how could it get a salvage title for only a crakced fairing? I see a lot of post about salvage titles but nothing is wrong with the bike. Am i missing something or are salvage titles giving out a bit too freely?

Dumb Fucking Faggot
Psycho Mantis
Star Wars > Star Trek P.S. CTS-V rules

Hey, I'm planning to pick my first bike in the next few weeks and was wondering if this a great beginners bike?
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...6/Default.aspx

hehe j/k
I was actually looking at this
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...6/Default.aspx
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...0/0/specs.aspx
Is this still too much of a bike for me? What other sportbikes would you recommend for a beginner? Then again.....I should actually get a used bike after reading the thread? What is the beginners sportbike? I read more of the thread and decided to get a Kawasaki Ninja EX500 how much am I expecting to pay for a used one? Is there anything I should check for before buying the bike/

forgot to metion that i'm about 6'4 250lbs

As far as upgrades go......what would a beginners mod? Exhaust system?

Last edited by Psycho Mantis; 12-19-2005 at 01:08 AM..