General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

McKnight
MOST AMAZING TITLE EVER LOL WORDS

Go ahead and use it like a switch if you want. If you do that while downshifting, its going to lock the tire for a second or two. You probably figured that out your first time on the street.

Nothing bad about a clunk / click noise when you shift. Kawasaki still hasnt fixed its clunky gearbox in all of its years. You still have stock pipes so I guess it bugs you being able to hear it. Maybe change the oil if youre worried about the clunkyness.

If the bike is on an incline, you can pull the clutch in, turn it sideways across the road. Rock it into neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psilocybes
then the bike wouldnt stay started because it was cold and I forgot to let it idle first.

Uhhh yea, thats not good. Let it idle for 1.5 to 2 minutes before taking off.

Stay in first as long or short as you want I wait for the rev limiter to hit, then I shift.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

putty_thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psilocybes
I'm using the clutch like an on and off switch (i know i'm not supposed to). it makes a large clunk noise when I shift up, how long do i stay in first gear?

If you know you arn't supposed to, why don't you clutch properly? Use it like you would in a car..

Also, surely you can start the bike in gear with the clutch in?

AndersH

About the earplugs someone asked for: Friends of mine are happy with their "The Plug" earplugs from a company called "Koss".

And oh, I dont really think you should focus so much on what is too-much power.. You can get into trouble on all bikes.. And a 10 year old 600ccm sportbike is still quite fast, even though it "misses" 20-30 hp on the new 600ccm bikes.. I doubt that a newbeginner would notice the difference between 100 and 120hp.. it will be fucking fast for him anyway :-)

I'm quite tall myself and I ride a 1994 Yamaha FZR600 R, and it has just the right size.. It's pretty big compared to other bikes.. its nice

Psilocybes: All yamaha gearbox's are known to make big "clunk" noises when you set it in 1. gear, or even when you're just changing gear.
Mine degreesed the clunk sound a (very) little after I changed oil.. I'm learning how to avoid to make the clink sound, but it's quite hard (and it's winter now, so I dont drive).. When I'm standing still and want to drive, I have to rev it up a couple of hundreds rpm, put some preload on the gearselector, pull the clutch and then gently push the gearselector down.. Then it wont make the huge clunk sound..

And while driving, the sound will also degreese if you "preload" the gearselector-arm-thing before you change gear, it will make a softer gearchange too..

TheFleshRocket
Sleeman for fagmin!

Actually practically all bikes will "kerchunk" into first gear from neutral at a stop, most of the time. This is because there are two shafts with gears on them in the transmission. One of them is moving and one of them is usually stopped or barely moving. When you go into first from neutral, the one that is stopped engages the one that is moving. It won't happen every time, as you may notice. (This is an over-simplified explanation and probably not exactly correct technically speaking, but it gets the point across.)

This is normal and nothing to worry about. You can minimize it by keeping the bike's idle as low as possible. That said, don't go trying to set your idle to 600rpm or something just to avoid the kerchunk. Just adjust the idle on the low side of the range specified by the manufacturer.

ReaperKK

So I have been riding a gs500 for a little bit and I was looking to upgrade and I wanted to know what difference should I expect between a Yamaha FZR 600R and a R6.

McKnight

Slightly detuned engine
More upright and comfortable seating position

Psilocybes

After riding for slightly more than a week shifting isnt a problem. I still stall from time to time but nothing i worry about.

Current thing on my mind is traffic. Scares the hell out of me. Way too much to do and look for and little time to do it.

other than that i'm having fun.
cheers!

4byTacoma

Its probably been answered in this thread already but its long as shit and i can't go through all of it. Anyways, i'm looking to buy a bike in between the 1500-1800. I know it won't be much with that much money. I would preferably like a sport bike, something reliable. If it matters i'm around 5 foot 8 and 210lbs.

jcsinep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4byTacoma
Its probably been answered in this thread already but its long as shit and i can't go through all of it. Anyways, i'm looking to buy a bike in between the 1500-1800. I know it won't be much with that much money. I would preferably like a sport bike, something reliable. If it matters i'm around 5 foot 8 and 210lbs.

Ninja 250 or 500

Psilocybes

update because I like seeing my typing...

I dropped my bike yesterday (sunday). I was out with another group for newbie riders doing twisty roads.
When entering a turn i fixated on a rock in the middle of the road and as a result didnt set myself up for the turn. Going to fast and lack of experence. I was going about 30mph at the time.

I came out of it with a few bruses and cuts but was able to finish the ride (i was fully geared). The bike needs a hug but its also ok. Broken gear lever and front left foot peg, broken plastic over the front wheel, new mud facial.

Good times. cheers

electric!sheep

Target fixation sucks. I was riding on dirt w/ my KLR650, passing some dipshit on a CR50, and noticed a basketball-sized rock in the trail. I told myself, "Not going to hit that rock! No way I'm hitting that rock. Hitting that rock would suck ass, and throw me to the...." BAM I kissed the ground.

McKnight

Your target fixation isnt going to get any better until you address the situation. Gotta make sure you look way through the corner. Ive been lucky enough to only have close calls. I guess constantly playing motogp on pc helped me a lot First person view ftw!

Mandres

This thread is fantastic. Thanks to the OP and everybody else who contributed. I just picked up a GS500 as my first bike thanks to all the great advice I got from the net. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

Psilocybes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres
This thread is fantastic. Thanks to the OP and everybody else who contributed. I just picked up a GS500 as my first bike thanks to all the great advice I got from the net. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

Sweet!
I was looking at the GS 500 for a first bike. waiting for pics
Got all your gear yet?

lopoetve

Ok, went shopping some today... going to take the MSF here in about a month or two, and I think I've picked my bike: Ninja 500R... Bike fit me GREAT, and I love the look. Can't wait to get the course done, and get the bike
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.