General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLiberator View Post
Technically, since the couch is your property, you have full jurisdiction over deciding its use. However, good luck with enforcing it.

This.

It's your stuff. It's no different than if you went into his room and put your feet on his pillow.

Technically.

In reality it's not always that easy... or is it? I never had any issues, all my roommates respected my stuff but I'm very upfront about my feelings. If you have really nice furniture, consider being more selective about your roommates. college kids can go both ways for instance.

If you let people use your couches things will inevitably get spilled and stuff, but dirty shoes on it is certainly avoidable. Tell him/her this in a reasonable manner - don't put people on the defensive, this will make them less likely to cooperate.

"pro" tip - buy used couches/etc from estate sales - this saves money and you won't feel bad about occasional stains. If you have roommates chances are it's because you need money and not just for fun so you shouldn't be buying fancy stuff anyway

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Briandl79

What you really need to do is stop, and take a deep breath. Now you want to think long and hard about any stupid ideas you might have. There are a lot of laws in place designed to protect tenants from just this type of stupid shit.

The guy sounds like a douche, but so do you, and two douches don't make a right.

If you shut off the electricity he has many options for recourse, one of which includes being able to sue you for moving costs, lost wages, storage fees, attorneys fees, and court costs.

It sounds like you both need to grow up and figure out how to get along.

teh scud

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
This.

It's your stuff. It's no different than if you went into his room and put your feet on his pillow.

Technically.

In reality it's not always that easy... or is it? I never had any issues, all my roommates respected my stuff but I'm very upfront about my feelings. If you have really nice furniture, consider being more selective about your roommates. college kids can go both ways for instance.

If you let people use your couches things will inevitably get spilled and stuff, but dirty shoes on it is certainly avoidable. Tell him/her this in a reasonable manner - don't put people on the defensive, this will make them less likely to cooperate.

"pro" tip - buy used couches/etc from estate sales - this saves money and you won't feel bad about occasional stains. If you have roommates chances are it's because you need money and not just for fun so you shouldn't be buying fancy stuff anyway
My parents bought the couch while I was in high-school and let me take it -- it's a nice couch and I'd like to keep it like that (believe me, I'm not buying any fancy furniture myself). I think it's reasonable to ask someone to remove their feet from the couch or take off their shoes -- I was surprised when he refused; I wasn't aware people could be so fucking childish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandl79 View Post
What you really need to do is stop, and take a deep breath. Now you want to think long and hard about any stupid ideas you might have. There are a lot of laws in place designed to protect tenants from just this type of stupid shit.

The guy sounds like a douche, but so do you, and two douches don't make a right.

If you shut off the electricity he has many options for recourse, one of which includes being able to sue you for moving costs, lost wages, storage fees, attorneys fees, and court costs.

It sounds like you both need to grow up and figure out how to get along.

I'm just seeing what my options are. I sound like a douche? This guy isn't paying his bills -- why should I let him use services if he's not going to pay his share? Electric company shuts off the electricity if you don't pay -- me doing the same thing makes more than enough sense, but I came here hoping to find what the laws state. The laws you hint at seem more directed at landlords -- I'm no landlord and I'm not preventing them from getting electricity. If I did shut it off (which I probably won't because the lease mandates we have it), there'd be nothing stopping them from getting it back themselves. I wouldn't be forcing them to move -- I'd just be forcing them to pay for their own damn electricity.

I've said over and over these actions are last resort type things and that I actually expect things to get better without me doing any of this, but what would you do if your roommate stopped paying bills and treated your property like shit and ignored anything you said? Give him a cookie? Seriously. If you can't get through to him verbally, what the hell would you do? Suck it up and pay his share of the utilities?

Last edited by teh scud; 11-17-2010 at 11:17 AM..

[H]ard|On

He doesn't pay, get him out.

Unlikely that you can reform people like that, and who knows what he's used to so why bother...

Start looking for someone else imho and give him his 30 day. Just be all business about it. There's a chance he might cooperate at that point, and if not oh well.

Did you mention ages? As in you, him and any others in the house?

teh scud

I think they're all 23 and I'll be 24 tomorrow (4 people live in the house including me).

[H]ard|On

old enough to know better...

were any of them friends? sometimes it's easier to have random people: one they have no expectations, and two it's easier to say "late!"

Briandl79

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
I'm just seeing what my options are. I sound like a douche? This guy isn't paying his bills -- why should I let him use services if he's not going to pay his share? Electric company shuts off the electricity if you don't pay -- me doing the same thing makes more than enough sense, but I came here hoping to find what the laws state. The laws you hint at seem more directed at landlords -- I'm no landlord and I'm not preventing them from getting electricity. If I did shut it off (which I probably won't because the lease mandates we have it), there'd be nothing stopping them from getting it back themselves. I wouldn't be forcing them to move -- I'd just be forcing them to pay for their own damn electricity.

I've said over and over these actions are last resort type things and that I actually expect things to get better without me doing any of this, but what would you do if your roommate stopped paying bills and treated your property like shit and ignored anything you said? Give him a cookie? Seriously. If you can't get through to him verbally, what the hell would you do? Suck it up and pay his share of the utilities?

There are laws in place, that for example say that you cannot turn off a persons electricity even if they are behind on their bills. The purpose of these laws is to keep people from doing stupid shit they shouldn't be doing, so yeah if you consider doing something like that you're a douche.

Now obviously I don't know the exact specifics of your situation, but going around and shutting off people's breakers is a bad idea. You really need to try your best to handle this situation like an adult, and think long and hard before you do anything like shutting off someone's electricity, regardless of whose name it's in, or whether or not they are paying their share, because it's most likely against the law for you to do so.

I can't even begin to get into what would happen between you and the actual landlord for these types of actions.

teh scud

Get it through your head I'm not going to take action if I don't confirm it's legal first -- the whole point in making this thread was to know how to protect myself from being fucked over and I'm not going to fuck myself over to do it.

Last edited by teh scud; 11-17-2010 at 02:20 PM..

Briandl79

Quote:
Get it through your head I'm not going to take action if I don't confirm it's legal first.

Well I'm telling you that it's probably not legal, and if there's even the slightest question in your mind as to the legality of doing something like this in this type of situation, don't do it.

Briandl79

Quote:
the whole point in making this thread was to know how to protect myself from being fucked over and I'm not going to fuck myself over to do it.

How much time is left on your lease?

teh scud

I do appreciate it -- looked into it and it seems like cutting electricity is akin to evicting them (though I wish I could see an official source, as I've seen tons of contradicting info). I'm amazed at how all the laws seems stacked against everyone except the fuckup. I don't think I'd ever want to own rental property.

If I can't get someone to take the electric bill in their name, I'll probably move out -- I have a friend who's willing to be roommate.

Also considering trying to replace the problem guy with a friend (our lease is to be renewed soon), though I'm not sure how that works if the problem guy is unwilling (he's also friends with another roommate so I dunno if I'd have support).

But yeah, plan is to try to get problem guy to catch up on bills and ensure I wouldn't be at significant risk later on.

edit: we need to renew or not by this month, so things will be moving quickly either way

Last edited by teh scud; 11-17-2010 at 03:07 PM..

teh scud

dp

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandl79 View Post
There are laws in place, that for example say that you cannot turn off a persons electricity even if they are behind on their bills.

Not for the Electric Company

I'm not sure what he meant, I thought it had to do with them not paying and him being unable to cover everything.

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

just be aware, there are things that are illegal but not really punishable. like cutting the electricity (in FL at least). it's all about staying in the gray area to get shit done.

jolie
pwned

You can decide it

I think you can decide whether they can use your couch.Because it's yours