General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Foolioq

String theory has no experimental evidence.

Do yourself a favour and stick to the standard model.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Killer_B

speaking of string theory,

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Founding [M]ember of the GENTLY CARESS EA Club.

Then the network comes back up. And then down again. Up... and down. It keeps going down like a Clinton intern.

The Unflushable Turd
BetaMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote McCain! View Post

Vote McCain!
Retardism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolioq View Post
String theory has no experimental evidence.

Do yourself a favour and stick to the standard model.

That's why it's called string theory and not the String Model. Standard Model and string theory aren't really the same thing, one contains the other. String theory doesn't discount the standard model, it just unifies the mathematical descriptions of electromagnetism, weak, and strong nuclear forces with gravitational force. String theory (as with all unification theories, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_field_theory) does not make the standard model incorrect, just more complete. It still reproduces experiments under the standard model and all other areas of classical physics.

As a note, just because a theory is mathematically complete and correct, does not mean that it is an accurate description of reality. Take as an example the old Caloric theory for heat, which operated under the assumption that heat was a substance that contained mass. Although the theoretical predictions are mathematically correct and the theory is rigorous, it is not a correct description of reality because the basic assumptions upon which the theory relies have been proven incorrect. This not where string theory stands at this point in time, because it is so good at reproducing everything else in physics. The real experimental issue is the different predictions that can be made under different unified theories. Typically experiments are done to settle conflicting theoretical predictions among different models/theories, so we can tell which one is correct.

It's not like I do this shit for a living or anything...

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote McCain! View Post
That's why it's called string theory and not the String Model. Standard Model and string theory aren't really the same thing, one contains the other. String theory doesn't discount the standard model, it just unifies the mathematical descriptions of electromagnetism, weak, and strong nuclear forces with gravitational force. String theory (as with all unification theories, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_field_theory) does not make the standard model incorrect, just more complete. It still reproduces experiments under the standard model and all other areas of classical physics.

As a note, just because a theory is mathematically complete and correct, does not mean that it is an accurate description of reality. Take as an example the old Caloric theory for heat, which operated under the assumption that heat was a substance that contained mass. Although the theoretical predictions are mathematically correct and the theory is rigorous, it is not a correct description of reality because the basic assumptions upon which the theory relies have been proven incorrect. This not where string theory stands at this point in time, because it is so good at reproducing everything else in physics. The real experimental issue is the different predictions that can be made under different unified theories. Typically experiments are done to settle conflicting theoretical predictions among different models/theories, so we can tell which one is correct.

It's not like I do this shit for a living or anything...

stfu you gay piece of shit

Vote McCain!
Retardism

oh wow, you sure got me there buddy

Free_Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post

OlderBoy

i am open to the possibility of creationism. i don't use it to explain the world around me but i would not be opposed to a supreme being. i'd have a lot of fuckin questions tho

OlderBoy

old thread ffs ugh

Free_Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
why is everything "convenient"

As opposed to the "inconvenience" of never having had found a missing link, nor being able to provide an example for a species changing kinds?

--- Brain Gremlin in the movie Gremlins II: The New Batch.

Discordian Resistance Front, Co. A, Semi-Conscious Liberation Army.

voidme

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
Ken Ham is an R-tard who thinks jesus rode around on dinosaurs but the bones of dinosaurs were planted here by the devil to trick us into believing in carbon dating.

You shouldn't have to care about ken ham in this day and age but these spcfgts have a ridiculous amount of support in the dark ages of our country [THE SOUTH] and they want to write our science books with their R-tard nonsense.

...If I can state the issue politely...

How did they walk around without eyes?

voidme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free_Willy View Post

The goggles!! They do NOTHING!!!!

voidme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free_Willy View Post
As opposed to the "inconvenience" of never having had found a missing link, nor being able to provide an example for a species changing kinds?

What rock have you been hiding under dipshit? They have direct lab evidence of
A: A bacteria undergoing Speciation

B: A virus undergoing Speciation.

The bacteria was an e coli bacteria that speciated into a species that could metabolize one of the base ingredients in it's growth media that no e coli could ever metabolize before

As far as the "missing link" It's relatively hard to find dinosaur fossils of species that were stable and around for 10 million years

The longest Stable bipedal ape has only been around for a hundred thousand years. Oldest bipedal ape Lucy was only 3.2 million years ago and obviously her species was not widely spread or stable for a long period

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...0920-lucy.html

voidme

Quote:
Who said I believe we are alone?

I'm just highly skeptical of FTL travel and highly intelligent beings thinking it would be a good idea to land on our backwater planet.

I like how seti is saying HERE WE ARE COME AND KILL US

Since anything that can get off it's planet is the baddest motherfucker on the planet.

Not too many fluffy easter bunnies doing moon landings on their own.

voidme

Quote:
I'm even more skeptical about "transporter" technology than I am about FTL technology.

Star Trek one isn't even a basic physics problem. It's a bandwidth issue. With petabyte speeds it would only take 6 billion years to transport one individual.

I think quantum entanglement goes far beyond what current science is looking at. I think all matter is heavily entangled in various ways and we dont see it because most are so stable we never see the entanglement form or break. I think position is a quantum property and one effect is gravity. Matter "wanting" to reintegrate into a point source again. It also may explain the light speed barrier if their is a rate of change limit when using brute force to change the position designator.

If you can directly affect the quantum position you would have instantaneous? relocation/teleportation. If you could do it with minor energy costs you have your stellar drive system..
I am in the middle of trying to write a sci fi novel using that concept.