General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

OvrrDrive

Had a momentary lapse of common sense today...

I went to siphon some gas out of my tank today for my lawnmower and put myself in a really strange predicament...

And before anyone asks, yes I always siphon gas for it. It's just easier than going to the store.

Usually I use a hose with a 3 foot clear section of tube attached to it and that works very well, but I bought a siphon from Harbor Freight and thought it would be pretty easy to use for that so I tried it out.

Here's the link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37739

To get a little extra reach. I put the dipstick tube into the main hose and inserted it into the filler neck.

The little fucker came loose in the gas filler neck, and subsequent attempts to get it dropped it into the tank.

So now I have this 3 foot black hose inside my gas tank. I'm thinking it will be ok in there as the only option seems to be to drop the tank and drain it, and I don't have time to do that anytime soon. I doubt it will desolve as its made to drain oil through the dipstck tube. I also don't think it will clog the pickup, but I don't really know for sure what the pickup looks like.

It's a 1995 toyota 4x4 pickup if it matters.

Opinions?

Hey come on now, everyone has a moment of stupidity every now and then right?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

The_Brad

that's odd that it even fell all the way down and I would venture to say, that it's possible it could break down in the tank.

onewheeldoin200
Your girlfriend likes my crotch rocket better

I don't think the engineers had that in mind when they designed the fuel filter

Isn't there some sort of super-tweezer device you can rig up or something??

Passion > Precision

LegendNH
Daddy bought me a Corvette but I'm still a fat pathetic loser, please remind me of this whenever you

there are cheap 3-5 fingered arms you can buy to pull stuff out of small and hard to each areas. Maybe you can buy one of these and pull it out?

OvrrDrive

I actually had one of those picker-upper things. When it popped off at first. I took the filler neck off and looked down the rubber tube and could just see the end of it right at the tank. I tried three or four times to get it and the last it fell into the tank.

I'm pretty sure it's floating around in the tank now.

I think the only option would be to drop the tank.

I think I'm going to just forget about it and see what happens. If I have some mystery problem show up in a few months, or on my way to work today , then I'll bite the bullet.

I was just curious what everyone had to say about it...

Mr. Happy Face
letsgohav6

o shit, niggas gonna be stealin gas out of cars soon with these rasing gas prices.....o wait, Niggers cant siphon.

prometheum

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheeldoin200
I don't think the engineers had that in mind when they designed the fuel filter

Isn't there some sort of super-tweezer device you can rig up or something??
yeah like mechanical fingers; we use them all the time where i work

Shiki
shiki
I am creepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgohav6
o shit, niggas gonna be stealin gas out of cars soon with these rasing gas prices.....o wait, Niggers cant siphon.
keep that shit out of here. i've seen enough bad posts from you, but i dont want to have to kc someone

testshootcom

A lot of gas tanks have a round cap or plug like thing, think of a large 3-4" slig screwed into the top of the tank. Sometimes if you just drop the hangar screws to lower the tank you can get to it. I want to say it is called a 'bung-nut' but don't hold me to it. On Volvos it is around the presending unit, but since you are not a volvo, i dunno if the set up is the same.

If you plan on driving around with it, it may not be too bad, I doubt the thing will get too sucked in, but for good measure, always keep atleast a 1/4 tank of gas so it is swishing around a bit in there and does not settle.
Clarkson’s trade is the kind of insults school students dream about making. What’s interesting about Top Gear is that everyone thinks it’s about cars. It isn’t. It’s about men and their relationships. - BBC’s W. Garvie.

crazymike
I am a dumb fag who needs a dumb TV show to tell me something that’s common knowledge. Then I make

Quote:
Originally Posted by testshootcom

If you plan on driving around with it, it may not be too bad, I doubt the thing will get too sucked in, but for good measure, always keep atleast a 1/4 tank of gas so it is swishing around a bit in there and does not settle.

swishing around won't harm it, you have to worry about it breaking down in the gas. Although it's made not to melt in gas, it's also not made to soak in gas it's entire life.

[J]eep Club: Shmoblar, Striker169, Trekman8, Crazymike, Whitefrog, PiMpY, Woe, Gearhead

OvrrDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymike
swishing around won't harm it, you have to worry about it breaking down in the gas. Although it's made not to melt in gas, it's also not made to soak in gas it's entire life.

I thought about that too...

Worst case scenario, it starts breaking down in the gas. The filter gets all of the globs and chunks, but the disolved parts go into the cylinder.

I bet the engine would still run fine on it...

After the 2nd fuel filter clog I'd probably go aead and drop the tank though.

OvrrDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by testshootcom
A lot of gas tanks have a round cap or plug like thing, think of a large 3-4" slig screwed into the top of the tank. Sometimes if you just drop the hangar screws to lower the tank you can get to it. I want to say it is called a 'bung-nut' but don't hold me to it. On Volvos it is around the presending unit, but since you are not a volvo, i dunno if the set up is the same.

I have a body lift on my truck and can get right at the top of the tank. There is what I'm guessing is the sending unit bolted on top of it which is about the size you mention, but even if I took that off I think my hand would be too big to get in there.

If worse comes to worse, I'll try that and see if I can fish it out.

I bet if I stick my face right on top of it and strike a lighter I could see the hose in the bottom of the tank and get it out.

testshootcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvrrDrive
I have a body lift on my truck and can get right at the top of the tank. There is what I'm guessing is the sending unit bolted on top of it which is about the size you mention, but even if I took that off I think my hand would be too big to get in there.

If worse comes to worse, I'll try that and see if I can fish it out.

I bet if I stick my face right on top of it and strike a lighter I could see the hose in the bottom of the tank and get it out.
Who cares about sticking your hand in there, I certainly hate the idea of my arm in gas.
At that point a bent coat hangar should scoop it right up.
Clarkson’s trade is the kind of insults school students dream about making. What’s interesting about Top Gear is that everyone thinks it’s about cars. It isn’t. It’s about men and their relationships. - BBC’s W. Garvie.

TheFleshRocket
Sleeman for fagmin!

Without even reading the rest of the posts in this thread, I will tell you that you are a dumbass for attempting to siphon gas, no matter how many times it's worked for you before. Was it worth it to save 10 minutes driving to the gas station with a gas can to drop that hose in your tank? And do you LIKE getting mouthfuls of a carcinogenic fluid?

Trying to do shit the lazy way will bite you in the ass eventually.

Radar5
Loose S.H.I.T.s Everywhere!! Mutiny by S.H.I.T. Recruit 1 for Leadership!!

heed Otto's advice, save the minto for afterwards

Teh HaPPy: They were talking about Kwanza on TV so my dad asked, "so what do you do on Kwanza?"
My mom, "I guess you sit around eating chitlins and watermellon before you go out and steal the Kwanza TV."