General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Someone needs to unban him and bring back his special insights and hilarities...

We can write a script instead...


If ancient = better
If new = complicated crap
If heavy = quality
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 01-30-2012, 06:10 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#106  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
Tex, it wasn't the self-leveling. OMGThey were never legal because replacement headlights have to be of the same design as the original, down to the bulb location, type, and power source. OMGSince HID's use a ballast, that alone automatically throws them out the window as being legal. OMGThe link you posted has NOTHING about the law, it's an install guide, which doesn't mean shit.

Listen, jackass: back when SYLVANIA (who, I think, would know just a tad more about both lighting and the law than you'll ever know) was producing these retrofit kits, they manufactured complete housings that used proper HID bulbs, that merely plugged into the harness, and worked properly without any changes to the stock harness whatsoever; and each housing was vehicle-specific.OMGthe ballasts were also built into the housings, not separate like most kits; so this alone makes them proper NHTSA-approved retrofit kits.

When the law changed and outlawed any form of retrofit kits, and required OEMs to only manufacture HIDs with self-leveling mechanisms, due to the demand of the people who were getting blinded by the ricer/kraut crowd who were illegally installing HIDs into incandescent/halogen housings, Sylvania had to discontinue their kits, much to the chagrin of many people who found them excellent devices overall. Today, they're damned hard to find, and what can be found are fucking expensive.
__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~
Old 01-30-2012, 06:39 PM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#107  

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
We can write a script instead...


If ancient = better
If new = complicated crap
If heavy = quality

Naw, it was his off-the-cuff insults that made for comedy gold... Ya can't script that shit.
__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~
Old 01-30-2012, 06:40 PM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#108  

Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Older'n Jebus, younger'n dirt... that's all you need to know, young girl!

I'm old and I still have no problem seeing in the dark. So I was curious how much old you were than me.
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 01-31-2012, 04:39 AM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#109  

MadMac
 
I'm gonna put some random stuff into the TTS, including a new ECU for moar power.

Also, if at all possible, some track training at the Nrburgring.
Don't know if with the TTS or a leased car, though.
__________________
[sig for rent]
Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 AM MadMac is offline  
Reply With Quote
#110  

gribly
 
gribly's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Listen, jackass: back when SYLVANIA (who, I think, would know just a tad more about both lighting and the law than you'll ever know) was producing these retrofit kits, they manufactured complete housings that used proper HID bulbs, that merely plugged into the harness, and worked properly without any changes to the stock harness whatsoever; and each housing was vehicle-specific.OMGthe ballasts were also built into the housings, not separate like most kits; so this alone makes them proper NHTSA-approved retrofit kits.

When the law changed and outlawed any form of retrofit kits, and required OEMs to only manufacture HIDs with self-leveling mechanisms, due to the demand of the people who were getting blinded by the ricer/kraut crowd who were illegally installing HIDs into incandescent/halogen housings, Sylvania had to discontinue their kits, much to the chagrin of many people who found them excellent devices overall. Today, they're damned hard to find, and what can be found are fucking expensive.

Location of the ballast doesn't change the fact that it was there. At best, they were skirting the law, and other countries allow modifications like this, so it makes sense that a big manufacturer would be making a few. There is a huge market for off-road only parts, and there are a few companies still selling kits labeled as "DOT APPROVED" and what-not, but that doesn't change the legality of it. Have you actually looked up the law and read it word for word? You flat out cannot do it, and have not been able to do it - if you're going to drive it on the street.

You CAN get away with it, if you're smart about it, but I just don't see how it's worth it, and like I said, you can't mix and match housings and bulbs and expect it to work efficiently- that's not how HID's work.

I think your blood pressure is rising.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 AM gribly is offline  
Reply With Quote
#111  

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
Location of the ballast doesn't change the fact that it was there. At best, they were skirting the law, and other countries allow modifications like this, so it makes sense that a big manufacturer would be making a few. There is a huge market for off-road only parts, and there are a few companies still selling kits labeled as "DOT APPROVED" and what-not, but that doesn't change the legality of it. Have you actually looked up the law and read it word for word? You flat out cannot do it, and have not been able to do it - if you're going to drive it on the street.

You CAN get away with it, if you're smart about it, but I just don't see how it's worth it, and like I said, you can't mix and match housings and bulbs and expect it to work efficiently- that's not how HID's work.

I think your blood pressure is rising.

Nah, I just don't give a flying fuck, you're dumber'n a box of rock with half of the rocks removed, and there ain't jack-shit I can do about it. I can just hope you'll be dumb enough to go play in the freeway and get splattered by a semi--Darwinism in action.
__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~
Old 02-01-2012, 08:21 PM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#112  

gribly
 
gribly's Avatar
 
Sit and spin on it.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:28 PM gribly is offline  
Reply With Quote
#113  

Malmhead
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmhead View Post
Not that I didn't already have this planned but a new pair of snails + fueling for the Audi

Did I win?



__________________
Hello, my name is 14K!!1

The USS Excelsior Crew - I am fucking Q!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:05 AM Malmhead is offline  
Reply With Quote
#114  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmhead View Post
Did I win?




Which Audi? Those look small
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 02-18-2012, 06:40 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#115  

Malmhead
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Which Audi? Those look small

B5 S4.. Those are the RS4 K04 Turbos. Didn't want to build the motor so I didn't get anything bigger. ~500ft/lbs is about all the stock rods can take.
__________________
Hello, my name is 14K!!1

The USS Excelsior Crew - I am fucking Q!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:56 AM Malmhead is offline  
Reply With Quote
#116  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmhead View Post
B5 S4.. Those are the RS4 K04 Turbos. Didn't want to build the motor so I didn't get anything bigger. ~500ft/lbs is about all the stock rods can take.

Did the stock one die?
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 02-20-2012, 01:20 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#117  

Malmhead
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Did the stock one die?

Nope.
__________________
Hello, my name is 14K!!1

The USS Excelsior Crew - I am fucking Q!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 PM Malmhead is offline  
Reply With Quote
#118  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:55 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.