General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Someone needs to unban him and bring back his special insights and hilarities...

We can write a script instead...

If ancient = better
If new = complicated crap
If heavy = quality

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
Tex, it wasn't the self-leveling. OMGThey were never legal because replacement headlights have to be of the same design as the original, down to the bulb location, type, and power source. OMGSince HID's use a ballast, that alone automatically throws them out the window as being legal. OMGThe link you posted has NOTHING about the law, it's an install guide, which doesn't mean shit.

Listen, jackass: back when SYLVANIA (who, I think, would know just a tad more about both lighting and the law than you'll ever know) was producing these retrofit kits, they manufactured complete housings that used proper HID bulbs, that merely plugged into the harness, and worked properly without any changes to the stock harness whatsoever; and each housing was vehicle-specific.OMGthe ballasts were also built into the housings, not separate like most kits; so this alone makes them proper NHTSA-approved retrofit kits.

When the law changed and outlawed any form of retrofit kits, and required OEMs to only manufacture HIDs with self-leveling mechanisms, due to the demand of the people who were getting blinded by the ricer/kraut crowd who were illegally installing HIDs into incandescent/halogen housings, Sylvania had to discontinue their kits, much to the chagrin of many people who found them excellent devices overall. Today, they're damned hard to find, and what can be found are fucking expensive.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
We can write a script instead...

If ancient = better
If new = complicated crap
If heavy = quality

Naw, it was his off-the-cuff insults that made for comedy gold... Ya can't script that shit.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

Coqui

Quote:
Older'n Jebus, younger'n dirt... that's all you need to know, young girl!

I'm old and I still have no problem seeing in the dark. So I was curious how much old you were than me.

MadMac

I'm gonna put some random stuff into the TTS, including a new ECU for moar power.

Also, if at all possible, some track training at the Nrburgring.
Don't know if with the TTS or a leased car, though.

gribly

Quote:
Listen, jackass: back when SYLVANIA (who, I think, would know just a tad more about both lighting and the law than you'll ever know) was producing these retrofit kits, they manufactured complete housings that used proper HID bulbs, that merely plugged into the harness, and worked properly without any changes to the stock harness whatsoever; and each housing was vehicle-specific.OMGthe ballasts were also built into the housings, not separate like most kits; so this alone makes them proper NHTSA-approved retrofit kits.

When the law changed and outlawed any form of retrofit kits, and required OEMs to only manufacture HIDs with self-leveling mechanisms, due to the demand of the people who were getting blinded by the ricer/kraut crowd who were illegally installing HIDs into incandescent/halogen housings, Sylvania had to discontinue their kits, much to the chagrin of many people who found them excellent devices overall. Today, they're damned hard to find, and what can be found are fucking expensive.

Location of the ballast doesn't change the fact that it was there. At best, they were skirting the law, and other countries allow modifications like this, so it makes sense that a big manufacturer would be making a few. There is a huge market for off-road only parts, and there are a few companies still selling kits labeled as "DOT APPROVED" and what-not, but that doesn't change the legality of it. Have you actually looked up the law and read it word for word? You flat out cannot do it, and have not been able to do it - if you're going to drive it on the street.

You CAN get away with it, if you're smart about it, but I just don't see how it's worth it, and like I said, you can't mix and match housings and bulbs and expect it to work efficiently- that's not how HID's work.

I think your blood pressure is rising.

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
Location of the ballast doesn't change the fact that it was there. At best, they were skirting the law, and other countries allow modifications like this, so it makes sense that a big manufacturer would be making a few. There is a huge market for off-road only parts, and there are a few companies still selling kits labeled as "DOT APPROVED" and what-not, but that doesn't change the legality of it. Have you actually looked up the law and read it word for word? You flat out cannot do it, and have not been able to do it - if you're going to drive it on the street.

You CAN get away with it, if you're smart about it, but I just don't see how it's worth it, and like I said, you can't mix and match housings and bulbs and expect it to work efficiently- that's not how HID's work.

I think your blood pressure is rising.

Nah, I just don't give a flying fuck, you're dumber'n a box of rock with half of the rocks removed, and there ain't jack-shit I can do about it. I can just hope you'll be dumb enough to go play in the freeway and get splattered by a semi--Darwinism in action.

--John Hobbs

gribly

Sit and spin on it.

Malmhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmhead View Post
Not that I didn't already have this planned but a new pair of snails + fueling for the Audi

Did I win?

The USS Excelsior Crew - I am fucking Q!

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Did I win?

Which Audi? Those look small

Malmhead

Quote:
Which Audi? Those look small

B5 S4.. Those are the RS4 K04 Turbos. Didn't want to build the motor so I didn't get anything bigger. ~500ft/lbs is about all the stock rods can take.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
B5 S4.. Those are the RS4 K04 Turbos. Didn't want to build the motor so I didn't get anything bigger. ~500ft/lbs is about all the stock rods can take.

Did the stock one die?

Malmhead

Quote:
Did the stock one die?

Nope.