General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

The Unflushable Turd
BetaMax

Oh snap my car stalled out

Fucking shit. I was driving home after droping off insurance papers at work. Red light ahead so i step on the brake and as im slowing down the engine sputters and the car shakes and the engine stops. I put the car in park and restarted the engine and put it back into drive and went along. Then it happened again at the next light a few more times i had to do this. But after 3-4 or times the car wouldn't start. I'd have it in park and the engine running and then go to drive and thats when the engine would shut off. So i ran it on park for 5 minutes and then put it on drive and then it started. Whenever i press the brakes to stop the car shakes this happens, its a miracle i made it home. Is this the transmission or what? This is goddam just what i need, how i'm i gonna get to work tommorow? I have a 88 corsica with 120,000+ miles on it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

homer1300

not sure what the problem is, but it sounds like it has something to do with "88 corsica with 120,000+ miles on it"

ea771c2a4db83d092b7cf870edc4ec39

Last edited by homer1300; 04-18-2005 at 02:17 AM..

Bitterspeak

Yes it is the transmission. Check to see if anything is leaking under your car.

The Spyder

Torque converter?

(Just tossin out an idea)

Thermo1223

I have heard of chevy transmissions getting stuck in OD but I don't why that would effect anything else. Usually they shake like crazy and stall when you come to a stop, the clutch that locks the torque convertor up doesn't let go. Friend had that happen on his 87-88 Cavalier. Check Engine Light perhaps?
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

v0rt3x

Push the shift into neutral when your coming to a stop and maybe give it a little gas so it doesnt sputter out. One other thing you could try, instead of shifting into D, shift it into 2. I had the same problem with one of the corsicas that I've owned and it seemed to fix it temporarily. A couple months later the engine cracked. Get it checked, or trade it in for something while you still can

MrBill

Im not sure if there is a trade in value for that car.
What about this. When you take the brakes off, does it seem to coast faster than usual? If so, sounds like torque converter, or a related component.
Yeah the same thing happened to my dads towncar. Had the transmission rebuilt and now if you let off on the brakes it doesnt even creep until you put gas down.

The Unflushable Turd
BetaMax

It does go faster than usual if the car is not warmed up. This was last week when it was really cold but if i warm it up for 10 minutes it's fine.

M|22's NutZ
i wish this title was on top, like M|22

Could allways raise your idle and see if that helps

Ch1m3r4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill
Im not sure if there is a trade in value for that car.
What about this. When you take the brakes off, does it seem to coast faster than usual? If so, sounds like torque converter, or a related component.
Yeah the same thing happened to my dads towncar. Had the transmission rebuilt and now if you let off on the brakes it doesnt even creep until you put gas down.

have any more info on this "car coasting faster" business? when you mentioned that it made me think...and I think my car was doing that before the tranny REALLY went to shit. Some specifics on what is going on with the torque converter and why it makes the car coast faster (if you know them) would be appreciated ::wanting to learn a bit more here::

Mike4831

What gear is park.......?

LifeIsEat&Die

im having the same problem with 93 altima automatic.. car has stalled at stoplight 3 times now, mechanics cant find whats wrong with it? wtf need new mechanic

The Unflushable Turd
BetaMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by M|22's NutZ
Could allways raise your idle and see if that helps

What? I'm a car noob/.

Modare

same thing is happening to my car. I was told that maybe it could have something to do with the fuel sensors...I hope its not another expensive problem ....

Halo_Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unflushable Pimp
It does go faster than usual if the car is not warmed up. This was last week when it was really cold but if i warm it up for 10 minutes it's fine.

That is because of the choke