General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

VoodoochildBC
cutie patootie <3 bonnie

I think the general idea behind fuel injection is that it's low maintenence and more efficient, in comparision to a carb.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Whitebread

you can do more with FI with less work too. I don't think I've every seen an forced induction setup (this includes N2O), with a carb.

PLEASE BAN ME
radeonic2
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread
you can do more with FI with less work too. I don't think I've every seen an forced induction setup (this includes N2O), with a carb.
You can do turbos with carb, guys do this with old bugs.
Heres a quote from a forum on the subject of the two different ways to do it.
Quote:
A draw through turbo system is when the turbo is located between the carb & the engine. So that the turbo literally sucks the air through the carb. A blow through turbo system is when the turbo is located between the air cleaner & the carb (or fuel injection system). So that the carb sees pressurized air from the turbo...

MrBill

Quote:

Then you havent looked very hard...
There is a reason when you go to the track, you see all the cars there with their hoods up and a big holley 750 sitting there. Yeah, newer cars may be fuel injected, but the fastest cars there are always old mustangs and camaros with 302/350s, carbed, and running low 10s.
Nitrous is easier with a carburator and safer (for the motor) because the newer cars have the fuel cutoff at high RPMs with the fuel injection and there is no rev-limiter with a carburator. Where the valves flutter is redline, and so gas will always be properly mixed with the nitrous.

PLEASE BAN ME
radeonic2
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill
There is a reason when you go to the track, you see all the cars there with their hoods up and a big holley 750 sitting there. Yeah, newer cars may be fuel injected, but the fastest cars there are always old mustangs and camaros with 302/350s, carbed, and running low 10s.
Nitrous is easier with a carburator and safer (for the motor) because the newer cars have the fuel cutoff at high RPMs with the fuel injection and there is no rev-limiter with a carburator. Where the valves flutter is redline, and so gas will always be properly mixed with the nitrous.
Disabling the cutoff++

Whitebread

Duh, that was the dumbest post I've ever typed. I know that any type of forced induction is possible with a carb, I just happened to forget that people have been running superchargers on carbed setups for years. I feel like a fucking idiot.

PLEASE BAN ME
radeonic2
pwned

Quote:
Duh, that was the dumbest post I've ever typed. I know that any type of forced induction is possible with a carb, I just happened to forget that people have been running superchargers on carbed setups for years. I feel like a fucking idiot.
Don't feel bad, everyone has brainfarts sometimes.

AppleBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill

Just disable it..

The reason why you see alot of them at the track is because carbs are cheaper and they are easy to swap from one motor to the next.

FI is a bit more of a pita to set up, (really its not, just that lazyness takes into effect and stubburn old school attitudes)..

A FI setup WILL provide more horsepower and be a hell of alot more consistant on the track. Consistancy > all out speed... But in the end a carb is cheaper and alot of guys just dont wanna venture into a FI setup. Hell the best guys on the strip usually have a nice clean FI motor.

FI > Carb minus the money issues.

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid
Why? A FI fuel delivery system is just the electric fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel line, vacuum pressure regulator, fuel rail, return line, and some injectors. There's probably more working parts to keep track of in a carb alone.

Not having a pump is great in and of itself.

electric!sheep

The "all-mechanical" part of things is very useful. They last a long time when cleaned, and can be easily serviced when worn.

Triden

nothing like blowing a carb out with compressed air. has fixed numerous problems for me

FI is harder to tune and get working properly and is really expensive to modify (computer interfacing equipment etc). Although now that more people are starting to learn about it, you are starting to see it at the track more often. Carbs still hold their own thought.

Last edited by Triden; 04-18-2005 at 04:20 PM..

SvenTheGoldfish

Carbs just seem more rugged to me. You've got a hunk of metal and some fuel, and part of the hunk of metal spins around and the vacuum sucks fuel into it- none of these fancy electronics need to be involved. FI has its merits, but complexity detracts from the feeling that you're the one in charge, taking care of everything yourself. It's not the same when a computer does something for you, it's kind of like an aimbot. It's one thing when you're just trying to get something done, like getting from point A to point B. But if you really want to PLAY, it can be nice to be the one doing things yourself.

But fuck it, my car still has an automatic in it so I can't really be the one to talk (I got it for free, so can't complain about the auto).

PLEASE BAN ME
radeonic2
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenTheGoldfish
Carbs just seem more rugged to me. You've got a hunk of metal and some fuel, and part of the hunk of metal spins around and the vacuum sucks fuel into it- none of these fancy electronics need to be involved. FI has its merits, but complexity detracts from the feeling that you're the one in charge, taking care of everything yourself. It's not the same when a computer does something for you, it's kind of like an aimbot. It's one thing when you're just trying to get something done, like getting from point A to point B. But if you really want to PLAY, it can be nice to be the one doing things yourself.

But fuck it, my car still has an automatic in it so I can't really be the one to talk (I got it for free, so can't complain about the auto).
You know you can program your own fuel maps right if you have a programmer right?
Again complexity?
Name all the parts in a carb, and a FI, see which has more
The only merit a carb has is cost.
FI is far better, and obviously you pay for that, but FI has much better control over the AFR and atomizes the fuel way better.
Bottom line:
Carb= cost/ you're a stubburn old timer
FI= better system, but costs more.

K0ll
<font size=+2 color=pink><b>ALL HAIL<br>VAGINA DAY</b></font>

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep
They really are beautifully simple once you understand them.

I will always love carbs before any type of FI

punisher

Understanding a carb is walking into a shop Monday morning, finding a note from a wannabe mechanic," Hey, this car (Honda Civic) came in Saturday, I think the carb was messed up. I took it off and put it in the carb dip, all you have to do is slap it together and put it back on." Has anyone ever truly "slapped" together a Kiehin 3bbl carb? (BTW, it was just a bad float causing the car to flood).

I love carbs for outright racing. Many years with Holley 4150s has endeared them to me on the strip. In the shop, working on daily drivers, fuel injection is the only way to go. A hell of a lot more reliable and much easier to diagnose makes FI a winner.