General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

darwin
The most perfect balls evar <3 Wayne Newton

My Jeep is acting a bit weird.

It's a 1998 Cherokee with 50k miles on it and it's running a little weird.

She's got a manual transmission, the 4.0L I6, and some performance upgrades, but it feels like the fuel filter might be going.

Sometimes to start it, it has to crank 7 or 8 times, which is pretty unusual.

When I'm taking off hard, the power seems to cut out at a certian point. Maybe dropping to 70% of what it usualy feels like higher in the RPM range.

I'm thinking maybe fuel filter? Anyone else had similar experiences?

Another thing I wanted to know-- People tell me sometimes that my wheels look like they're shaking at high speeds. I have some wobble. I don't think the tires are out of balance though. What should I check? I've looked into camber issues but mine seems to be fine. It's out of alignment from rock crawling, but it did this beforehand. Checking the suspension, nothing appears to be bent/out of the ordinary.

If anyone can offer any help, I'd appreciate it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

roguetrip

How many miles are on it? Have you done all your maintenence? Spark plugs and wires, Distributor cap/rotor, pcv, all air filters, fluid changes?

If the car has over 60k on it then i would also recommend changing fuel filter

With it being harder to start, sounds like it either starter wearing out, dirty fuel injectors/filter, or bad worn out spark plugs. Basically do a complete tune-up will fix it. if not, the jeep probably needed it anyways.

Only other thing that comes to mind is the timing chain is stretching, but should also see power loss in the low end. Really need to know whats been done to the car and mileage to make a better guess.

Louisville Slugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguetrip
How many miles are on it? Have you done all your maintenence? Spark plugs and wires, Distributor cap/rotor, pcv, all air filters, fluid changes?

If the car has over 60k on it then i would also recommend changing fuel filter

With it being harder to start, sounds like it either starter wearing out, dirty fuel injectors/filter, or bad worn out spark plugs. Basically do a complete tune-up will fix it. if not, the jeep probably needed it anyways.

Only other thing that comes to mind is the timing chain is stretching, but should also see power loss in the low end. Really need to know whats been done to the car and mileage to make a better guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin
It's a 1998 Cherokee with 50k miles on it.

Sounds like something with the fuel filter or fuel line.... maybe clogged or some sort of build up. Have it checked out.

Last edited by Louisville Slugger; 04-19-2005 at 08:41 PM..

darwin

Should have elaborated.

Plugs/wires/cap are all under 10k miles. Was fine after tuning it up.

I'm leaning towards the filter, line or the injectors. With 50k miles it can't be the starter.

Phosphor

iBran

Try turning the key to run (the last position before start), wait a few seconds, and then try starting it.

The fuel rail needs to pressurize before the computer will let it start. If the filter/pump is starting to go bad, it will take longer for it to reach pressure (30-40 PSI IIRC). If it cranks normally after you wait a few seconds, the pump/filter may be the problem.

Another culprit could be the Crank Position Sensor, but it's unlikely.

(I have a '94, BTW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phosphor
Also http://www.naxja.org/ and http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/

Last edited by iBran; 04-19-2005 at 10:13 PM..

darwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBran
Try turning the key to run (the last position before start), wait a few seconds, and then try starting it.

The fuel rail needs to pressurize before the computer will let it start. If the filter/pump is starting to go bad, it will take longer for it to reach pressure (30-40 PSI IIRC). If it cranks normally after you wait a few seconds, the pump/filter may be the problem.

Another culprit could be the Crank Position Sensor, but it's unlikely.

(I have a '94, BTW)

Also http://www.naxja.org/ and http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/
I'll try the key on position. Not a bad idea.

I've checked into the CPS, but it's in fine shape. I cleaned it and no difference.

I posted on Jeepsunlimited and no one has answered.