General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Hmm well if it doesn't work for your car that's too bad, it works pretty well on mine. I don't understand why you think inverting the shock matters though.

If anything you want the "dick" to go in the "pussy" instead of vice versa imo

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

mekilljoydammit
[H]Cars refugee and rotary whore at large

It's the problem with having spent so long studying this shit... I know what the symptoms of things not being quite right are and it would bug me forever. Don't get me wrong, if there wasn't this option with the STI struts I'd likely end up with something Koni based, but for cheaper I'll have something a bit perfect-er.

As for inverted struts vs. normal ones... from the outside it still looks the same, it's just that what's a rod going into the bottom part on a normal strut is now a much larger diameter tube on the inverted strut, which is a lot stiffer, and doesn't put side loads on the parts that are sealing shock fluid in. Or put a different way, there's still a dick going into the pussy, it's just a lot thicker... and ask any woman how they feel about a bit more girth.

We thought it must be possible to make an interesting living messing about with racing cars and engines." -Keith Duckworth

Driving: A nice practical sedate car... '03 WRX
Shooting: Canon P, Zorki 6, Nikon D5100, 1911, FAL

JPF_

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon43 View Post
The G8 GT:

New front clip (have curb rash on the bottom and it annoys me to no end)

There is no g8 on the road that does not have this.....came from factory like that.

Mine was most likely worse than yours because how many flatbeds mines been on.....but it came from factory because that clip being so low.....

Want to know something worse? Just wiggle the front bumper.......pissed me off.....and I made 3 g8 owners mad when I mentioned it and theirs did the same thing lol

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekilljoydammit View Post
It's the problem with having spent so long studying this shit... I know what the symptoms of things not being quite right are and it would bug me forever. Don't get me wrong, if there wasn't this option with the STI struts I'd likely end up with something Koni based, but for cheaper I'll have something a bit perfect-er.

As for inverted struts vs. normal ones... from the outside it still looks the same, it's just that what's a rod going into the bottom part on a normal strut is now a much larger diameter tube on the inverted strut, which is a lot stiffer, and doesn't put side loads on the parts that are sealing shock fluid in. Or put a different way, there's still a dick going into the pussy, it's just a lot thicker... and ask any woman how they feel about a bit more girth.

That depends on how much play there is in all your bushings too, but i can see the longevity benefit.

lopoetve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
, failbird owns j00.

Got it down to 5
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.

Hornswoggler1

2012: MORE KART RACING!!!

DuMa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
this for the e30? The best option for HID's is to use the US ellips (for their cutoff pattern) and 9006 HID's from DDM. Everything else is a ton more money for (as far as I can tell) no benefit.

my goals for this year:
- get my 325iS on the track, in the open and most importantly out of my damn garage.
- fix all the small cosmetic with the iX
- get at least one good, complete set of wheels/tires

i do have US Ellips

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornswoggler1 View Post
2012: MORE KART RACING!!!

Hornswoggler1

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post

gribly

Quote:
this for the e30? The best option for HID's is to use the US ellips (for their cutoff pattern) and 9006 HID's from DDM. Everything else is a ton more money for (as far as I can tell) no benefit.

my goals for this year:
- get my 325iS on the track, in the open and most importantly out of my damn garage.
- fix all the small cosmetic with the iX
- get at least one good, complete set of wheels/tires

Federally illegal and the DDM lights are such garbage it's comical. Having proper cutoff doesn't even come close to making it right, either. You're still going to blind oncoming traffic more than any factory HID would, and if you actually get more distance out of it, it'd be pure dumb shit luck that the arc reflected in the right pattern. Your housings HAVE to be engineered to a specific bulb with a specific arc length and location or else it'll be all wrong. In most cases, the stock headlights actually light up farther away than the HID's, and the HID's just have much, much, much more output on the sides and up close, giving you the impression that you can see better. A good thing to keep in mind is you need to replicate factory HID's in order to get a good pattern, and OEM is never a moving arc for high-low, it's a moving lens. So in reality, a proper aftermarket HID is going to either be something stupid expensive or something you jack out of the front of a car in a junkyard or parking lot.

ScHpAnKy
The only place you can get milk in a bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
Federally illegal and the DDM lights are such garbage it's comical. Having proper cutoff doesn't even come close to making it right, either. You're still going to blind oncoming traffic more than any factory HID would, and if you actually get more distance out of it, it'd be pure dumb shit luck that the arc reflected in the right pattern. Your housings HAVE to be engineered to a specific bulb with a specific arc length and location or else it'll be all wrong. In most cases, the stock headlights actually light up farther away than the HID's, and the HID's just have much, much, much more output on the sides and up close, giving you the impression that you can see better. A good thing to keep in mind is you need to replicate factory HID's in order to get a good pattern, and OEM is never a moving arc for high-low, it's a moving lens. So in reality, a proper aftermarket HID is going to either be something stupid expensive or something you jack out of the front of a car in a junkyard or parking lot.

or... you could not give a shit about all of the above statements and continue to use HID's that work utterly and completely fine for substantially less money than "doing it right."

Which is what my last post said in summation.

Like, seriously, I can see for miles and have never been accused of blinding anybody (even on my last 8hr road trip behind some friends)

Also, did you say that my stock OEM 9006 bulbs are higher light output than my 55w 6K HIDs? That's rich.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post

AAAAaaaactually, the guys over at LightningRodder.com have been doing projector retrofits with kits from The Retrofit Source, who has excellent how-tos on how to install projector units into regular headlight buckets. They're excellent, well-written, and detailed, not sure about the product itself, but they're all projector kits.

Also, there's a couple guys that weighed in on the thread, who do these kits for a "living?", that do them for a reasonable price, and if their pics are to be believed, they do excellent work.

TBH, I think this method might be the way to get around the problem with shoving HIDs into housings not designed for them. Especially when you see what you should do to get the cutoff and patterns correct.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
or... you could not give a shit about all of the above statements and continue to use HID's that work utterly and completely fine for substantially less money than "doing it right."

Which is what my last post said in summation.

Like, seriously, I can see for miles and have never been accused of blinding anybody (even on my last 8hr road trip behind some friends)

Also, did you say that my stock OEM 9006 bulbs are higher light output than my 55w 6K HIDs? That's Rice.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

illig

i need to finally fix my fucking hood release

the handle snapped off so i have to use pliers to pull the cable now

the cable assembly is <$20 from Honda but it's such a pain to install that i'm dreading it

maybe i'll just do a ghetto fix and secure something i can pull with my hands to the existing cable stub :/

gribly

I didn't say the stock bulbs have a higher light output. I said they will most likely light up an area farther away - if they were decent factory headlights. Still doesn't change the fact that the NHTSA doesn't allow ANY sort of HID upgrade, seeing as how any sort of aftermarket headlight has to have the same construction as the stock headlight. Sure, you can find "DOT APPROVED" markings on some of these kits, but that just means it has been deemed that the kit won't burn your car to the ground. To actually drive the car legally on the road, you need NHTSA approval, and it ain't happenin' bub. Best thing to do is not go too far up in the spectrum and don't make it too obvious.