General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Ice

Guess the damage game. Accord experts or Double-wishbone suspension come in

So I hit a curb going 30-40 mph. The car is 2008 Accord Sedan. Front left wheel got nicked a bit but I decided to replace it anyway for cosmetic purposes. The car got a realignment. FL Camber is now 0.5 degree (Range -0.8 to 0.5), and FL Caster is now 2.7 (Range 2.7 to 4.2). Right at the limit... The car drives without vibration, but it now pulls to the left on freeway.

What it means is that the Front Left wheel got pushed back maybe half an inch, and that affects the Camber as well. I talked to the alignment tech and he said the Caster cannot be adjusted and that I need to take the car to a frame shop to push the FL wheel forward.

I took the car to a pretty reputable shop and they said the A-arm is damaged, cannot be fixed and needs to be replaced, all without looking at the car. Total cost + labor + alignment = $350. On top of that, it's not guarantee it will fix the problem. If that doesn't work, they will replace cradle, which is in the $700-800 range.

I'm seeking 2nd opinion. What says you [M]? Does that sound reasonable?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

my opinion is that you're getting fucked over by everyone

first thing done where i work (Pepboys) is to get the car on the rack, hook up the heads and check out the initial alignment, if we can't fix the alignment (either through the replacement of parts or regular adjustments) then we don't charge for the alignment
we also figure do an inspection to see if we can figure out what the cause of the damage is

might want to go to a dealership and have them inspect it

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Ice

A crude demonstration of how it's hit lol

So it's hit and it's bounced out due to the angle so it's not as bad... but enough to do damage... arrgg..

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Post pics of it. How tall was the curb?

asa

depends on how steep it was and the speed, but to damage an A arm you usually take a huge chunk out of the wheel

Asa of the Infidel Crew

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Agree, but maybe they see a lot of this on accords... something prone to bending more than usual but speed, height of curb and all that is what counts.

Mashing the brakes right as it goes over makes it worse too. ABS helps a little.

asa

seriously, pics of the wheel, pics of the undercarriage, etc etc etc

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Ice

Curb is about 3-4" high, standard curb on small street. No braking, the car rolled right over, bounced out, and kept on rolling...

Light damaged on the wheel. It did take a chunk of the rubber of the tire that exposed the steel belt though

Nevermore
I <3 d4rkme4t

Yeah you're goign to replace a lot of shit and it's never really going to be the same
.......v
<domisi> i'm not in anyone's sig
\(_o)/ IRC Partay!! \(o_)/

Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
Yeah you're goign to replace a lot of shit and it's never really going to be the same

I'm taking it to the dealership and pay them $90 for a real inspection to see what's wrong. At least I'll know exactly what broke and what got bent, instead of "Let's replace this part and pray it works"

gribly

I folded a lower control arm and a tie rod on my Miata without scratching a wheel... Slid sideways through some grass and folded the front right suspension in, and broke the bead on both right side tires. Cost me $970 in parts.

u467

If it's within spec I actually wouldn't worry about it. That said, accords do pull to the side when there's slight camber in the road. Try driving in a straight line on roads with absolutely no camber first.

Failing that, what is the difference in castor from right to left? Your front end guy should have told you that.

Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by u467 View Post
If it's within spec I actually wouldn't worry about it. That said, accords do pull to the side when there's slight camber in the road. Try driving in a straight line on roads with absolutely no camber first.

Failing that, what is the difference in castor from right to left? Your front end guy should have told you that.

It's technically still within spec, but riiiiight at the limit

u467

hmm... on second thought, A-arms failure mode is indicated by buckling. Get it up on a hoist or get under there and inspect for noticeable creases or buckling in the stamped steel arm. I'd even go as far as comparing measurements between left and right.

What kind of machine is this from? I'm curious because most Hondas spec rear toe in and not zero. Also, your cross caster is out of spec which could be the cause of your woes.

edit: your front left camber is out as well, I actually agree with your reputable shop assessment that the control arm is bent.

Ice

It's the printout from Firestone. I have lifetime alignment there so...

The specs from their machine looks about right

Here's the factory alignment spec from Honda