General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Checked out the new Mazda CX-5.

Was driving by the dealership and decided to stop in to see the new CX-5. I gotta admit, its a really nice looking little cross over. Much nicer inside and out than a Rav 4 or CRV.

The Grand Touring model had pretty much everything I could ever need from a car.
Best headroom with a sunroof I have seen so far in a non German car.
Bose, navi, dual climate, heated leather power seats, keyless entry, bluetooth. automatically adjusting headlights. Probably has some other stuff I didn't catch.

I was surprised at the legroom. The front was very comfortable for me despite the specs saying it only has 41 inches. The rear is surprising comfortable too; the seats seemed higher off the floor than other suv's I have been in.

I guess the only problem is the motor, its a 2.0l high compression four. Not much torque but great fuel economy. Its great in the Mazda3 and is actually pretty fun once it gets going, but with the extra weight and awd who knows how it will perform. However, they claim its been re-tuned and also sports 13:1 compression vs the Mazda3's 12:1. Its also available with AWD with 6spd auto and even a FWD manual on the sport trim, which is unheard of for a car in this segment. What would be nice is if they had a v6 option to compete with the Rav 4 but I dont think that will happen given the whole skyactive philosophy.

I didn't get to drive it but I plan to go back possibly next weekend. It seams like the perfect car for the person that who swore they would never drive an SUV.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Last edited by Lurker; 03-04-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Was driving by the dealership and decided to stop in to see the new CX-5. I gotta admit, its a really nice looking little cross over. Much nicer inside and out than a Rav 4 or CRV.

The Grand Touring model had pretty much everything I could ever need from a car.
Best headroom with a sunroof I have seen so far in a non German car.
Bose, navi, dual climate, heated leather power seats, keyless entry, bluetooth. automatically adjusting headlights. Probably has some other stuff I didn't catch.

I was surprised at the legroom. The front was very comfortable for me despite the specs saying it only has 41 inches. The rear is surprising comfortable too; the seats seemed higher off the floor than other suv's I have been in.

I guess the only problem this thing has is the motor, its a 2.0l high compression four. Not much torque but great fuel economy. Its great in the Mazda3 and is actually pretty fun once it gets going, but with the extra weight and awd, who knows how it will perform. However, they claim its been retuned and also sports 13:1 compression vs the Mazda3's 12:1. Its also available with AWD with 6spd auto and even a FWD manual on the sport trim, which is unheard of for a car in this segment.

I didn't get to drive it but I plan to go back possibly next weekend. It seams like the perfect car for the person that who swore they would never drive an SUV.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

useless w/out pics

illig

Quote:
It seams like the perfect car for the person that who swore they would never drive an SUV.

while i generally agree with your overview (in theory - haven't seen the new '13 CX-5, but mazdas do tend to drive better than the competition... zoom zoom and all), the last statement is a bit questionable... it's a smallish crossover: it seats only 5, and you like the FWD/6spd combo... if someone doesn't want an SUV, why would they get this one? might as well stick with a sport wagon or hell, a large sporty sedan and get better mileage, better dynamics (lower car, etc.) while retaining most of the characteristics of the small crossover

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

they've been making Crossovers for years now

Mazda didn't just pull a reinvention of the wheel out of their ass. wow.

Nevermore
I <3 d4rkme4t

I hate cars like this.
.......v
<domisi> i'm not in anyone's sig
\(_o)/ IRC Partay!! \(o_)/

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
seams

yes, it will have seams, right under your fat ass

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
yes, it will have seams, right under your fat ass

Grazehell

Seems like Mazda made themselves a Nissan Juke competitor except its not as funky looking. The Automotive publications rave about the Juke so it might be worth it to check it out if you could get past the looks.

The Juke-R funky but more interesting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP5MBWVYizg

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazehell View Post
Seems like Mazda made themselves a Nissan Juke competitor except its not as funky looking. The Automotive publications rave about the Juke so it might be worth it to check it out if you could get past the looks.

The Juke-R funky but more interesting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP5MBWVYizg

I'm sorry, that car is fucking butt-ugly, as in hit-every-fucking-branch-and-twig-on-it's-way-out-of-the-ugly-tree ugly.

However, TG mag took one to Dubai and played tag with all the ber-riche raghead supercars they could find, and that's about as far as I got thru the article before I had to go back to work.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Okay but what's the point? What will it do that a sedan won't?

d114

that engine feels a tad strung up in the mazda3 with the 5 speed auto, it's going to be really strung up in a heavier cross-over.

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Okay but what's the point? What will it do that a sedan won't?
- Hold a lot more stuff in the trunk, about as much as a wagon.
- Make you remortgage your house when you have to buy a new set of 19" tires.

I'm still trying to figure out what the point of a crossover is.

illig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
- Hold a lot more stuff in the trunk, about as much as a wagon.
- Make you remortgage your house when you have to buy a new set of 19" tires.

I'm still trying to figure out what the point of a crossover is.

Women like to sit up higher when driving. My wife loves that about our Element.

Otherwise, I agree completely.

Grazehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
I'm sorry, that car is fucking butt-ugly, as in hit-every-fucking-branch-and-twig-on-it's-way-out-of-the-ugly-tree ugly.

However, TG mag took one to Dubai and played tag with all the ber-riche raghead supercars they could find, and that's about as far as I got thru the article before I had to go back to work.

Yeah that's the Juke-R. A heavily modified Juke with a Nissan GT-R drive and powertrain swapped in, done by Nissan of Europe.

Here's that video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OayXXRtdk4

RazorWind

I'd rather just have a Mazda3, but as crossovers go, I guess it's not too horrible.

If they want a Juke competitor, they need to get serious and sell it with the 2.3L turbo out of the Speed3.