General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

Netgear WGR614v6 into Bridge?

I've searched google and I thought this would be pretty simple, I'd get a result giving me detailed step by step instructions. Instead, half the websites say it can't be done, half say it can but don't offer actual steps.

I have a Linksys router setup in my bedroom with the internet. I would like to put the Vonage in my office. I got an extra Netgear WGR614v6 that a friend gave me and I'd like to make it into a Bridge (or AP?) and then I can plug the Vonage into it and have phone in my office, since Vonage doesn't have a wireless receiver yet. Does anyone know how to do this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Boogalo

i've never seen bridging support in the stock firmware but even dd-wrt micro supports it. unfortunately, that specific revision of that router looks like it's difficult to get dd-wrt onto.

assuming you have another wireless router, what model and revision is it? maybe it supports 3rd party firmware and you can use it as the bridge instead.

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogalo View Post
i've never seen bridging support in the stock firmware but even dd-wrt micro supports it. unfortunately, that specific revision of that router looks like it's difficult to get dd-wrt onto.

assuming you have another wireless router, what model and revision is it? maybe it supports 3rd party firmware and you can use it as the bridge instead.

I'd rather not, I'd rather just look for a used device that does support it. If the WGR614 doesn't, which would you suggest I buy used or new? What about just buying an "access point" from Newegg? Never used one, so I have no idea how they function.

Boogalo

most cheapo consumer level access points don't support bridging out of the box.

the most popular that i know of is the WRT54G and it supports bridging. i got my version 8 to work when my apartment supplied free wireless so i could hook up all of my game systems. only used it for a little while until they put cable in for everyone. now it just sits as a normal router and its is way more stable than the stock firmware. it doesn't do well with massive torrenting, but it's good for general use.

the older revisions have more flash ram and thus have more features.

people even sell them preflashed on ebay for cheap.

dd-wrt compatability list:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/hardware.html

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=wrt54g

waleeed00

little while until they put cable in for everyone. now it just sits as a normal router and its is way more stable than the stock firmware. it doesn't do well with massive torrenting, but it's good for general use.

waleeed

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

ahhh the memories

"BOOM! I'M BACK, BABY!! I'M BEAST MODE!!!"
- Tony Romo, definitely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0L_WSBrws4