General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Slacker

AR-15 Lower Receiver - Where to Buy?

Since talk of an AWB is rearing its head again, I've decided it's time to finally pickup an AR-15. I went to a local gun shop last week and they brought in a special order of 20 stripped lower receivers from Palmetto State Armory, and sold them all out within a day or two. I checked that seller directly and like many others who sell stripped or complete lower recievers, they are sold out and on backorder.

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on some tricked out custome rifle. I've been using an M-16 or M-4 for about 10 years in the Army and it's the rifle I'm comfortable with. I want to put together a generally mil-spec M-4 without spending $1,000. I'd like to start with a stripped lower receiver and assemble it myself but it seems like everyone is sold out. Does anyone know where I can buy a decent stripped lower along with a parts kit? I understand that all of the manufacturers are about the same quality wise, but I don't want some super cheap one that might not really be mil-spec.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

Hit gunbroker.com and go to a gun show.

about 4 months ago I was shopping for a lower online and not getting any luck with anything being available on short notice. Went to a gun show and there were tables full of lowers.

I ended up spending more than I wanted to, but once I picked up the Seekins I knew I had to have it

Caelum

If you can find an Aero Precision or PSA lower you'll find pretty good cheap lowers. Just looking at my most common ar15 stores and there is nothing to be had. One things for sure, Barack Obama is the best thing to happen to gun sales ever. PSA and Aero lowers are around the $80-90 price. Most lowers are more expensive than that but not really for any particular reason. I have a Gen 2 noveske lower that I paid like 240 for. That's expensive for no good reason. If you can buy a blemished lower then go ahead and do so. The blemishes may be real minor and even so its just in the blueing and who cares. Paint the bitch green and move on. AR15's are supposed to be war fighting guns. Not works of art. Get it dirty, shoot the fuck out of it and get it scratched up.

You can buy a colt 6920 for around $1000. I've been assembling ar15s for a few years now and unless you go with shit parts you can't really get any better than a Colt @ that price. It may sound high but you're buying the standard by which all others are measured and its reasonably priced. Buy soon before the price gouging begins. Because it WILL happen.

If you still have your mil ID submit it to DSGArms.com. They have hefty military discounts and I buy as much as I can there because of that. RainierArms.com also has military discounts that are good and the site is laid out really well. PSA's website has a lot of good prices on a lot of stuff. I'm really surprised at how cheap their products sell for. They claim to use FN barrels which if true is extraordinary since FN doesn't sell ar15 stuff to civilians. The M16a4s the Marine Corps use are FN.

And if you bump into someone who claims some hunk of shit is "just as good as a Colt" at the same price they're most likely lying to you unless they are talking about BCM, DD, LMT, Noveske, Larue, or Vltor. Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River, Model 1 are all shit brands and if they charge more than $600-700 for one they're ripping you off. But if all you're doing is going to the range a couple of times a year then they're probably fine. Bushmaster wont cycle wolf ammo though, so be warned.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...etition-06942/
Colt owns the TDP for the ar15 not the US government. Years ago the DOD sent out copies of the TDP to all the other major manufactures to get better quotes. Colt sued the DOD to get the copies of the TDP back from them because it was their IP. All of the TDP copies were returned except for 1. FN kept their copy and funny enough, look who the only other company to make military grade ar15s en masse: FN All those good brands I mentioned above make the same or better weapons as Colt but can't make them on the scale that Colt and FN can. The reason people claim their Rock River or Bushmaster or DPMS is "just as good" is because some gun store moron told them so. The Bushmaster and ilk marketing machine is very large and powerful. Magazines get guns for free if they shill for brands, so don't trust them either. Bushmaster is now out of business and was consumed by DPMS. But it doesn't matter because they're both owned by Freedom group which is own by Cerberus. As is Remington, AAC, Marlin and others.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

I never understood where the bushmaster hate came from, until I realized the one BM produced for the Texas DPS troopers is apparently a lot tighter than what there other offerings are

Despite the hatred some have of Bushmaster, it's funny they went up against Colt and others in the testing for the TXDPS contract and WON

Caelum

I think it comes from experience. My personal experience is that of jams every other round. Failure to fires and failure to feeds. They are complete garbage in my experience. There are other who have much more experience than I such as those who attend or teach classes who claim they are the most prone to fuck up.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

and that's understandable.

Probably much the same as I'll never own another ATI video card because of my bad experience, while other people have the opposite experience and preference

It may have to do with the fact I have the DPS model which has details most other BM's may not, or maybe luck of the draw.

After around 600-700ish rounds I've had at most 3 failures, and 2 of those were within an hour of taking it out of the box and shooting it bone dry. Because I'd heard anecdotal tales of BM unreliability I've been conducting my own personal reliability test.

I have NEVER cleaned my bushmaster. Ever. I keep wondering when I'll eventually hear a "click" when I pull the trigger, but it hasn't happened yet. I have only squirted some spray silicone into the action a few times. It keeps going ...even after firing a couple mags of nasty ass german plastic cased blanks

Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelum View Post
If you can find an Aero Precision or PSA lower you'll find pretty good cheap lowers. Just looking at my most common ar15 stores and there is nothing to be had. One things for sure, Barack Obama is the best thing to happen to gun sales ever. PSA and Aero lowers are around the $80-90 price. Most lowers are more expensive than that but not really for any particular reason. I have a Gen 2 noveske lower that I paid like 240 for. That's expensive for no good reason. If you can buy a blemished lower then go ahead and do so. The blemishes may be real minor and even so its just in the blueing and who cares. Paint the bitch green and move on. AR15's are supposed to be war fighting guns. Not works of art. Get it dirty, shoot the fuck out of it and get it scratched up.

You can buy a colt 6920 for around $1000. I've been assembling ar15s for a few years now and unless you go with shit parts you can't really get any better than a Colt @ that price. It may sound high but you're buying the standard by which all others are measured and its reasonably priced. Buy soon before the price gouging begins. Because it WILL happen.

If you still have your mil ID submit it to DSGArms.com. They have hefty military discounts and I buy as much as I can there because of that. RainierArms.com also has military discounts that are good and the site is laid out really well. PSA's website has a lot of good prices on a lot of stuff. I'm really surprised at how cheap their products sell for. They claim to use FN barrels which if true is extraordinary since FN doesn't sell ar15 stuff to civilians. The M16a4s the Marine Corps use are FN.

And if you bump into someone who claims some hunk of shit is "just as good as a Colt" at the same price they're most likely lying to you unless they are talking about BCM, DD, LMT, Noveske, Larue, or Vltor. Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River, Model 1 are all shit brands and if they charge more than $600-700 for one they're ripping you off. But if all you're doing is going to the range a couple of times a year then they're probably fine. Bushmaster wont cycle wolf ammo though, so be warned.

Colt owns the TDP for the ar15 not the US government. Years ago the DOD sent out copies of the TDP to all the other major manufactures to get better quotes. Colt sued the DOD to get the copies of the TDP back from them because it was their IP. All of the TDP copies were returned except for 1. FN kept their copy and funny enough, look who the only other company to make military grade ar15s en masse: FN All those good brands I mentioned above make the same or better weapons as Colt but can't make them on the scale that Colt and FN can. The reason people claim their Rock River or Bushmaster or DPMS is "just as good" is because some gun store moron told them so. The Bushmaster and ilk marketing machine is very large and powerful. Magazines get guns for free if they shill for brands, so don't trust them either. Bushmaster is now out of business and was consumed by DPMS. But it doesn't matter because they're both owned by Freedom group which is own by Cerberus. As is Remington, AAC, Marlin and others.

Just submitted my military information to them. How much is the discount for a typical complete rifle? 5%, 10%, or does it vary from item to item?

Rancidpunk666

We still have until January 2014 until an awb bill can even be brought to the table.

Laws can only originate in the house, not in the senate. Which is a major hole in obummer care.

John boheaner has already said he will not allow any legislation for new gun control to even come up for discussion.

Even if the bill were to originate in the senate it would never pass the house.

There would be many dead cops, local, state and federal workers and UN solders who would be coming door to door .

The military isn't going to disarm us and neither is the local police.

Just relax and stay calm.

But, cmmg make nice lowers.
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings

Rancidpunk666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelum View Post

Rock river shit? Lol you're an idiot.

Quit sucking on the colt nipple. They make 2 styles of weapons and handcuffs and that is it.

Colt is like Japanese (read honda and toyota) car manufactures. Making mediocre and average reliability cars, and every one gets wet in their pants every time a new accord comes out, yet it's exactly I the same as before with different styling.
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings

gribly

Now is a hilariously bad time to buy a handgun or pretty much any sort of semi-automatic anything. That is, unless you are able to find a normal price. Wait on it.

zeos

good luck catching one online, go to a store and overpay at least you know they have it.

Slacker

I'm going to be moving out of state soon and I'd like to purchase something before I move. I know that prices and demand are only going up but even without a new AWB passing I'm sure the executive branch will try to make it more diffult to buy guns if they can.

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancidpunk666 View Post

Quit sucking on the colt nipple. They make 2 styles of weapons and handcuffs and that is it.

Colt is like Japanese (read honda and toyota) car manufactures. Making mediocre and average reliability cars, and every one gets wet in their pants every time a new accord comes out, yet it's exactly I the same as before with different styling.

no one gets wet when a new accord comes out. just sayin

dio

Why are you getting an ar-15? Planning to shoot up some people?

Caelum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancidpunk666 View Post

you're a funny guy. Today being a bad day overall for gun owners and really concerning me as a responsible gun owner...with Dicks taking ar15s off their shelves as well as Walmart, you gave me a good laugh. RRA as good as Colt thanks for that. I needed cheering up.

And to Slacker its per item. Some things have 0 discount but others have huge. A few years ago I bought a Magpul PRS from them. The price was $242 or so and I got it for $175. So 25% or better on some things. Others may be like $1