General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

J Mel

51 Chevy vs 18 Wheeler = One less '51 Chevy on the road today

So, I managed to do something that 65 years of use, abuse, and mother nature couldn't do.

I killed a '51 Chevy 2 Door Styleline. Well, technically, I didn't kill it. An 18 wheeler killed it. It appears to have been a suicide on the cars part. I'm not sure if it was trying to kill me too, or if she saved my life.

Long story short....going to car show in Austin from Dallas. In a train of about 8 other hot-rods...i'm somewhere in the middle. 2 lane hwy going about 60mph. Car suddenly and unexpectedly jerked to the left into oncoming traffic...immidately into the path of an 18 wheeler/rock hauler. I'm not sure what happened, and may never know at this point from the damage. Have theories about front left wheel locking up and shooting me to the left, perhaps tie-rod coming loose, or something breaking in the rear end causing that to come loose. The rear end is my theory as the 1 second that I had from the time the car lost control to impact felt like the rear end kicked around to me. The rear end is loose from the frame now, but I don't know if that happened during impact, or while the car was sliding off the road into a ditch, or if thats what caused the wreck.

I remember the car suddenly jerking to the left, and the initial impact. I was thrown from the car via the passenger door (i think). I don't remember being thrown, the next thing i remember is being in the middle of hte hwy on my left side, and trying to stand up, losing balance and somersaulting into the ditch and landing next to what was left of the '51.

I had a '51 chevy fleetline behind me...when I hit the truck, I apparently took out his axle, and he crossed the line and went straight towards the fleetline behind me. He stood on his breaks and veered into the grass/ditch to avoid that collision, and in the process bleed out his brakes and lost them...he cut his wheel up the hill in the ditch to stop before seeing me somersault into the ditch and managed to stop about 5 feet short of hitting me.

When all was said and done...I literally walked away from the wreck. EMT's checked me out, but at that time< I was doing alright. Was stiff, and had a kink in my neck, but I was up and walking around, so I refused ambulance ride. My ex and her mother came out to get me, and by the time they got there, I could barely stand up as my entire body was hurting at that point. They took me to hospital to get checked out. Spent 20 hours in the ER, and was released the next day with a clean bill of health. Just sore as fuck.

Soreness is mostly gone now. Just plagued with a few parts that are still bothering me - namely right knee, a softball sized welt on my right hip/ass cheek, and a stiff neck and catch in my back. Other than that, just random scrapes, scratches, bruises, and welts all over body.

Thats me leaning against the car and the EMT's giving me a once over before putting me in ambulance for further checkout.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

holy crap

honestly if you were going to have an accident in one of these old hot rods.. this type of accident, sort of a "sideswipe" has gotta be preferable to slamming into an immovable object, building/telephone pole or whatever...

lap belts, no airbags, metal dash + probably solid steering column?

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

similar situation, this happened to a coworker a few weeks back

got like... rear ended I guess, then slid underneath this truck

walked away from it w/ scrapes/bumps, pretty incredible

https://twitter.com/AlamedaCoFire/st...356545/photo/1

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
holy crap

honestly if you were going to have an accident in one of these old hot rods.. this type of accident, sort of a "sideswipe" has gotta be preferable to slamming into an immovable object, building/telephone pole or whatever...

lap belts, no airbags, metal dash + probably solid steering column?

From what i'm told...I hit the semi pretty much head on. I didn't realize that, i thought I hit the back trailer wheels or something. Nope...I went directly into the front of the truck. Luckily it was a glancing blow and didn't hit square on.

No lap belts. Also lucky I had a later model steering column in it. Might have been speared by an original steering column.

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
similar situation, this happened to a coworker a few weeks back

got like... rear ended I guess, then slid underneath this truck

walked away from it w/ scrapes/bumps, pretty incredible

https://twitter.com/AlamedaCoFire/st...356545/photo/1

Trucks will fuck up your day, let me tell you.

Honestly, I'm glad I hit a truck. The driver told one of my friends that he ended up in the passenger seat of his truck after the impact. If i hit a passenger car, i probably would have killed somebody. Hell, for that matter, I should probably be dead too.

g|aSsJaw
NEW YORK GIANTS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS, ELI MANNING SUPERBOWL 42 MVP

god damn

glad you're ok

"This crosses the line." - Tex Arcana

"a war of attrition it'll be then, i'll tell you this much i have much more longevity and time for this game than you do" - Redrum

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

tossed from the car? hahaha holy shit

Typhoon43

Holy hell man
Glad you're still around. You're not allowed to go out any other way than by driving head first into a barn. THOSE ARE THE RULES. ACCEPT YOUR FATE.
Looks like it's time for another project eh? Make some lemnodae man. Can't let life stop ya!

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon43 View Post
Holy hell man
Glad you're still around. You're not allowed to go out any other way than by driving head first into a barn. THOSE ARE THE RULES. ACCEPT YOUR FATE.
Looks like it's time for another project eh? Make some lemnodae man. Can't let life stop ya!

The problem is, this creates another project for me. This isn't even my car anymore. Its my soon to be ex wifes car. I'm gonna have to try to fix it. Ontop of the 30 Ford Coupe build I currently have going on.

I do believe the car is fixable. From firewall back, the car is still in pretty good shape - except the passenger door. The A pillar might be a little out of whack, and firewall is pushed in a little bit, but nothing thats not fixable.

Engine isn't leaking, but looks like it took a hell of a whopping. DOn't believe the block is cracked at least. Need to open it up and run it and see how it is and see if it survived. Best case scenario, the frame is still good, and only needs a new clip. If damage to frame is too far back, frames for these are cheap. I can get a new frame for $350, then just put a new clip on that, rebuild the chassis and move the body over. I already have a spare set of fenders, front grill, and hood (hood has big dent, but fixable). From there, new accessories, steering box/column, wheels and tires, and radiator, and I believe we can have a running car again. Would need paint, but that isn't vital. Can just primer whole car so it all matches until time comes for paint. Needed new paint anyway.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Ouch...glad you made it through that ok.

Amazing that the car looks relatively undamaged from the firewall on back....yet a newer car of similar size would be rated much safer.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mel View Post
Trucks will fuck up your day, let me tell you.

Honestly, I'm glad I hit a truck. The driver told one of my friends that he ended up in the passenger seat of his truck after the impact. If i hit a passenger car, i probably would have killed somebody. Hell, for that matter, I should probably be dead too.
Truck driver wasn't wearing his belt (or at least not a 3 point) if he ended up in the passenger seat. He got lucky too..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Truck driver wasn't wearing his belt (or at least not a 3 point) if he ended up in the passenger seat. He got lucky too..

Agreed.

Honestly, I think not wearing (car doesn't have them) seatbelts saved my life, or from me being even more hurt. i tend to think, in this case, I would have been much worst off had i not be thrown from the car. Luckily, I wasn't thrown through the windshield. I was extremely lucky.

Spriggan

that'll buff right out

Rancidpunk666

At least you weren't in a daewoo or some gook pile of shit like that
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings

jnick

Jeeeeez, glad you're able to talk about it!