General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Gunstar

Unleashing the "Dragon"

Quote:
The AMD Phenom™ II processor, the ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 graphics card and the AMD 790GX chipset
I was thinking of building a dragon platform PC but I thought you only needed the following:
- any Phenom 2 CPU (does this include the Tri-cores?)
- any mobo using the 7 series amd chipset
- any ATi HD series card

Can I get any of that or do I have to get a setup like in the quote because I really don't want to get a 4870 card?

p.s: can I tri-channel the RAM too or is that a intel thing?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

atzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunstar View Post
I was thinking of building a dragon platform PC but I thought you only needed the following:
- any Phenom 2 CPU (does this include the Tri-cores?)
- any mobo using the 7 series amd chipset
- any ATi HD series card

Can I get any of that or do I have to get a setup like in the quote because I really don't want to get a 4870 card?

p.s: can I tri-channel the RAM too or is that a intel thing?

heres an idea, get an i7 if youre going to spend that much money.

ZERO reason to go AMD at this point.

SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by atzero View Post
heres an idea, get an i7 if youre going to spend that much money.

ZERO reason to go AMD at this point.
the phenom II is a great chip for the money.

your cash goes a lot further when you don't have to blow $300 on a motherboard

Praxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoIsntMe View Post
the phenom II is a great chip for the money.

your cash goes a lot further when you don't have to blow $300 on a motherboard
The I7 also destroys it in every benchmark.

whyte69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post

I hardly consider i7 worth the money when you start to add a $250 mobo (cheapest I could find that supports this chip) and then having to buy DDR3 RAM, also not cheap.

I'm not disputing that the i7 is a better chip, but I wouldn't recommend it to most people right now.

TheRequiem
No titty for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post

not if you scale it by cost.

performance per dollar is important to me.

my next pc (probably summer) will be phenom 2, almost without a doubt.

Perry County

Phenom II's are actually price point competitive. So there IS a reason, if you want to.

You can put whatever parts you want together, they'll work homes. Meaning, it can be whatever 7X0 chipset or Radeon 4XX0 you want.

And I don't think AMD does triple-channel yet.

Gunstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry County View Post
Phenom II's are actually price point competitive. So there IS a reason, if you want to.

You can put whatever parts you want together, they'll work homes. Meaning, it can be whatever 7X0 chipset or Radeon 4XX0 you want.

And I don't think AMD does triple-channel yet.

Just the answer I need. Cheers. I don't need an i7 even though I can easily buy one. I just want a quiet, energy effient best bang for buck PC. I don't game much on the PC anymore but when the occasional PC game comes up, the PC can handle it. I mean all I do these days is watch HD video, surf the net, play the occasional PC game and do some light video editing. These days benchmarks feel like all the seconds count, and I'm not that bothered now, if we're talking minutes in benchmarks, then I'd get an i7 all the way. My PC is running in cool and quiet mode I mean thats how I'm rolling these days. I used to OC every PC I've had when I was gaming.

To be honest I was deciding between a dragon setup or a intel wolfdale setup that would be OC'ed but I decided I want a quad core or tri-core just incase I need that extra power.

Last edited by Gunstar; 02-23-2009 at 10:40 AM..

atzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunstar View Post
Just the answer I need. Cheers. I don't need an i7 even though I can easily buy one. I just want a quiet, energy effient best bang for buck PC. I don't game much on the PC anymore but when the occasional PC game comes up, the PC can handle it. I mean all I do these days is watch HD video, surf the net, play the occasional PC game and do some light video editing. These days benchmarks feel like all the seconds count, and I'm not that bothered now, if we're talking minutes in benchmarks, then I'd get an i7 all the way. My PC is running in cool and quiet mode I mean thats how I'm rolling these days. I used to OC every PC I've had when I was gaming.

To be honest I was deciding between a dragon setup or a intel wolfdale setup that would be OC'ed but I decided I want a quad core or tri-core just incase I need that extra power.

dude...look at the benchmarks(dont bother with synthetic) go 2cd/q. When amd goes down in like 9 months you'll be glad.

sheaux_down

If you wonder about the Phenom II's performance, please read this Ars Technica article. It scales incredibly well. Also, with DDR2 as cheap as it is right now, you could probably have an OC'd build with 16gb of DD2 for the price of a core i7 and 4gb of DDR3.

b5c0c3c94400daa379ae8a966e8a43c9.

crumbaker

as long as you look at any benchmark other then hardocps fake shit (remember the old pentium 4 hyperthreading shit they faked where they mass banned us for calling them out on it) the phenom looks great.

you might want to look at the tri cores that people have supposedly unlocked to enable the fourth core.

sheaux_down

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post
as long as you look at any benchmark other then hardocps fake shit (remember the old pentium 4 hyperthreading shit they faked where they mass banned us for calling them out on it) the phenom looks great.

you might want to look at the tri cores that people have supposedly unlocked to enable the fourth core.

This seems like a horrible idea. The entire reason that tri-cores exist is because they are quad cores with one defective core.

b5c0c3c94400daa379ae8a966e8a43c9.

Praxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRequiem View Post
not if you scale it by cost.

performance per dollar is important to me.

my next pc (probably summer) will be phenom 2, almost without a doubt.
They will have the 32nm out by then and it will be cheaper, good luck.

Ars article was pretty terrible.

"The cooler head on the phase change unit I used hovered between -50C and -60C; actual CPU temp as reported in the BIOS was -40C."

"As for why we didn't compare an overclocked Nehalem against an overclocked Deneb, the answer is fairly straightforward: the point of our investigation is to look at how Phenom II scales, and not at how Nehalem scales."

It does decent against the stock i7 with a 1GHz oc and running at -40C not sure what to tell you, but no shit. I also liked how they lumped in 2GB, 1GB, 1GB for the triple channel memory. I am just guessing here so take it for what its worth but a slight over clock on the i7 side and the AMD would be left in the dust again all with a stock Intel cooler. If you pushed it with an after market and some better RAM it would just be sad all over again. I will admit its cheaper but at least it has a future and will last a lot longer unless you have phase changing set ups in your room.

crumbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaux_down View Post
This seems like a horrible idea. The entire reason that tri-cores exist is because they are quad cores with one defective core.

it appears disabled not defective, I'm sure there are some exceptions though

Praxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post
it appears disabled not defective, I'm sure there are some exceptions though
Well from what I read the whole reason they were disabling them is because they didn't pass the four core test.