General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

littleDoom

child/parent domain question

I work at a place that has a child/parent domain in place.

All users/servers/printers/everything is on the child part of the domain.

Example: ABC.Comp.corp

We have several servers we need to consolidate then I came across this one server in particular. The server in question is a Domain Controller for Comp.corp. That is all it does. My question is if this is really needed or not. No one logs into that part of the domain, in fact it is the only one in there.

There are other domain controllers in the ABC.Comp.corp that are functioning.

Is the DC in Comp.corp even providing a purpose? Would you need a DC to hold up the 'parent' part of the domain even though the 'child' part is the only part that is active?

All servers run Windows 2003.

-+=-0!^*

Support PETA

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

jkoebel

Yes, you need the Parent DC for exactly the purpose you mentioned -- in any situation where you have nested domains, you need a root of the forest. It tends to be seldom used for anything except some very high-level policy application, though.

It is probably a good candidate for virtualization, though -- it's not going to be needing a huge amount of resources by any means.

A large organization would take it further, even, and have 3 whole servers dedicated just to the empty root you've mentioned as a part of the security and disaster recovery model. And three servers or more each dedicated to the subdomains.

littleDoom

thanks

-+=-0!^*

Support PETA