General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ShaithEatery
Herman Li punches cunts off

Maybe a stupid question...x48 chipset + gtx 295?

so, tax return money is coming for me as i'm sure it is for most out there, and one of the things i'm thinking about is upgrading my 8800 gtx. I recently got an asus rampage formula mobo that uses the x48 chipset, which does not support sli, only crossfire. my question is, do these non-sli rules still apply to the dual-gpu cards such as the gtx 295? I would, of course, only be running one of these cards, but i wasn't sure if the fact that my mobo doesn't support sli would prevent me from being able to use it.

and on the topic of video cards, if anybody has any other recommendations as far as video cards go, i'd love to hear them. I've pretty much been an nvidia fan for the entire time i've been messing with computers, just thought when I was looking at motherboards that I'd probably never run 2 cards...never thought about the dual gpu cards though

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Ender17

will work fine

atzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaithEatery View Post
so, tax return money is coming for me as i'm sure it is for most out there, and one of the things i'm thinking about is upgrading my 8800 gtx. I recently got an asus rampage formula mobo that uses the x48 chipset, which does not support sli, only crossfire. my question is, do these non-sli rules still apply to the dual-gpu cards such as the gtx 295? I would, of course, only be running one of these cards, but i wasn't sure if the fact that my mobo doesn't support sli would prevent me from being able to use it.

and on the topic of video cards, if anybody has any other recommendations as far as video cards go, i'd love to hear them. I've pretty much been an nvidia fan for the entire time i've been messing with computers, just thought when I was looking at motherboards that I'd probably never run 2 cards...never thought about the dual gpu cards though

Biggest issue you'll have with the 295 is heat... my 260 hits 63C under load with fan at 100%