General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Liquid_Table
Waiting for that fateful day of bannage, c'mon Kyle be a man and push the button you big fairy.

Help me decide here (v. new car)

So, in the coming months the Audi is likely to require many hundreds of dollars of repair/maintenance work. Right now I already know it needs:
  • 2 Upper ball joints
    2 Lower ball joints
    1 (or more) wheel bearing
    Probably brakes

Since I am not inclined to do any of these things, I have decided that what I really want is a new(er) car. It does make some sense financially since I A) won't have to shell out for repairs/maintenance and B) my A6 gets tremendously bad gas mileage. I'm not thrilled with the idea of parting with several thousand dollars and/or dealing with more monthly payments. But if I am going to have to shell out money anyway I would rather not do it on fixing broken shit. It also sways my decision since the only shop in town who will touch my car is full of fuck-heads.

I've more or less narrowed down my choices into the new and used options I can easily afford. I've already done some research, but I'd like to know what sort of insight you guys can offer here.

1) Hyundai Genesis 2.0T
Like the way this car looks, it has the best MPG out of all the ones I am looking at, LSD and other goodies like Brembo brakes are a plus and I can get it serviced locally. Not sure about how the aftermarket is, seems kind of week. The 10/100 warranty is nice too.

2) Subaru WRX
Probably the worst value of any car I am looking at. They're expensive new and used. But they do have AWD and a great aftermarket. Warranty sucks though as does the mileage which likely wont be better than my Audi. That said, probably the most smiles-per-mile here. I'm still on the fence about it though and dealer inventory in the state is terrible

3) Volkswagen GTI
Second most expensive car here. FWD which is a bit of a boner killer, but the aftermarket is pretty extensive and I like the way they look. Hatchback utility is nice too. Options are pretty slim and the interior looks like crap. Sunroof and other options cost too damn much. Lots of DSGs on dealer lots but I would prefer a manual trans.

4) Mazdaspeed 3
Not sure about this one...it's kind of a out-there option. Most expensive car on the list here with the worst MPG. Also only FWD.

Used:
1) Infiniti M35
These seem to be great value for what you get. 270hp VQ35 with RWD/AWD, tons of luxury options (navigation, heated and cooled leather) all for around $22K. Not sure how reliable these things are but I know the VQ35 is a pretty sold engine. Only comes with an automatic though .

2) Ford Lightning
I like everything about this idea except that it is only 2 seat and the mileage is fucking awful. I don't think I could live with 13-16MPG even if there is TONS of power. Having a truck would be nice when I move into a house of my own though.

Comedy Option: Porsche 911
Found one of these local, an '03 911 Carrera S with 30K on the clock. They want 26K for it which is at the top end of what I want to spend. But it would be pretty funny to daily-drive a Porsche.

Ideally I would like to spend no more than $23K. So far the Hyundai is the only one who's MSRP falls into that category. With incentives and such I might be able to drive one home for less than $22K which would be awesome. GTI and others are a bit over budget when new, but the GTI I know I can get for about $16K used.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Creepster

Don't let the FWD of the Vw fool you, they're fast - See if you can't take one for a spin

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Dude if you're looking to drop 20-30k on a car you know what I would do.

From your list I would consider the 911, but more realistically a cayman or something. If you need the AWD maybe the WRX. I dno't trust the new Hyundais. M35 is nice if you're a woman who has a family. Mileage won't be all that good. GTI and MS3 are good college cars/commuters with zip...

what do you really WANT?

theWITNESS

Genesis for that price, hands down. Trying to get my parents into a sedan now.

How about a pre-owned G35 or G37 Coupe? It's classier looking than a WRX, Mazdaspeed3 and GTI.

Scatman

1) Hyundai Genesis 2.0T
Best MPG, best warranty, but piggishly slow. Aftermarket is gettin there.

2) Subaru WRX
THe new ones, 2011+, are fast, like really f'ing fast. worse mileage than a hyundai and mazdaspeed3.
edit: insurance will be astronomical with a rex compared to other cars on this list.

3) Volkswagen GTI
FWD yes, but they handle amazingly for what they are. WRX is faster on paper and onthe track but they drive much better daily than a rex. nicest interior out of any cars on here, TBH. Mk6 GTIs, 2010+, are rated 21/31 with a manual. Fantastic mileage for a turbo four-cyl.

4) Mazdaspeed 3
A faster, tighter, bigger GTi. Mileage is a bit better than the rex since it's FWD. 2010+ have much less torque steer than previous gen, but you gotta really step on it in either generation to feel it.

Used:
1) Infiniti M35
Not a fan of the M3X but they're nice I suppose. Can't offer much more info, sry.

2) Ford Lightning
If you need a truck as a second car, pick up a used Taco later on.

Comedy Option: Porsche 911
EL oh el. Daily drive a porsche. DO EEEET.

"I'm gonna be rich and famous one day when I invent
a device that can be used to stab someone in the
face over the Internet."

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Thermo1223

Fuck I sent the cable out Friday
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

Liquid_Table
Waiting for that fateful day of bannage, c'mon Kyle be a man and push the button you big fairy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
Fuck I sent the cable out Friday

That's fine, I am not looking for sell until the end of the month. Actually if I play my cards I might not need to sell the Audi anyway. Besides, I need to clear the MIL and the fucked brake wear sensor anyway.

Took my wheels off today because the DIS said I needed new brake pads. Pull the wells and 50% of the pad is still there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post

Yeah, don't get me wrong the Porsche would be fucking awesome. But I listed it as comedy option because of a number of issues I would have with owning it.

Namely I am not sure I can afford to insure it, much less maintain it. If something goes wrong, it will probably be expensive. Also I live in a state where it is winter for 6 months of the year. Trying to drive something that low even with snow tries sounds like a hassle, not to mention the general wear and tear that winter takes on the car. If I could keep my Audi around as a "winter beater" I might go that route but then I would have no real place to store the other car and it seems stupid to make payments on a car you don't drive. I think it would be excellent to DD a Porsche but it just doesn't seam realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWITNESS View Post
Genesis for that price, hands down. Trying to get my parents into a sedan now.

How about a pre-owned G35 or G37 Coupe? It's classier looking than a WRX, Mazdaspeed3 and GTI.
I looked hard at the G35/37 as I like the idea of a coupe. However the Bro Tax around these parts is higher than the AWD tax and most of these cars are out of my range, old and beaten, high mileage, or a combination of those factors. Basically there is not much "bang for the buck" to be had there.

Obviously I am going to try and test drive all the cars on my list. I'm more interested if anyone has any anecdotes or information they would like to share regarding modding, reliability and general ease of ownership. I plan to have this car for the next 5-6 years. So something that is going to last past 100K+ without much more than oil changes, brake pads and washing would be what I am aiming for. Primarily though I want something fun to drive. I realize the equation is usually "fast, cheap, reliable; pick two". But I think that 20K+ doesn't fall into the realm of "cheap" so I should be able to find something quick and reliable.

Last edited by Liquid_Table; 09-05-2011 at 03:10 PM..

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

The Mazda3 will be the cheapest to own car, and can be made damned fast with the aftermarket stuff. I'd put that near the top, IMHO.

The wrx is fast, but I have my doubts about their durability, and the mph will bite, because you'll want to drive it hard all the time to get the fun out of it,

The Porsche will be über fun, but you'll run into the same problem you have now: HELLISHLY expensive to maintain, almost as bad as the Audi, but nowhere near the billions needed for a BowelMovementonWheels.

The Lightning would be a fun second vehicle: not terrifically expensive to run, depending on mod level--but ridiculously cheap compared to the BMW), and will be ridiculously fast. And it can haul ANYTHING throw at it. I sure as hell wouldn't recommend it as a DD, tho.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

Ş~~~ Ş~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex Ş~~~ Ş~~~

hider

get a new Camaro

Liquid_Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
The Porsche will be über fun, but you'll run into the same problem you have now: HELLISHLY expensive to maintain, almost as bad as the Audi, but nowhere near the billions needed for a BowelMovementonWheels.

The Lightning would be a fun second vehicle: not terrifically expensive to run, depending on mod level--but ridiculously cheap compared to the BMW), and will be ridiculously fast. And it can haul ANYTHING throw at it. I sure as hell wouldn't recommend it as a DD, tho.

Yeah I get the sense that BMW maintenance = get the lube.My Audi has not been that expensive to maintain but I chop that up to the fact it is older (an '01) and does not have much in the way of fancy shit on it. The most expensive repair I have done was getting the front CV axles and ball joints/control arms replaced (cost me like $1000 all together). Also timing belt which I did myself was a nightmare.

Is there any reason why in particular the Lightning would be a bad daily-driver, other than gas mileage?

I think with the Porsche I would not feel too bad bringing it to the dealership for minor things. My main worry would be major items along with how am I gonna get a car that's 1/2 inch off the ground though 3" of snow.

Scatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Table View Post
Yeah I get the sense that BMW maintenance = get the lube.My Audi has not been that expensive to maintain but I chop that up to the fact it is older (an '01) and does not have much in the way of fancy shit on it. The most expensive repair I have done was getting the front CV axles and ball joints/control arms replaced (cost me like $1000 all together). Also timing belt which I did myself was a nightmare.

Is there any reason why in particular the Lightning would be a bad daily-driver, other than gas mileage?

I think with the Porsche I would not feel too bad bringing it to the dealership for minor things. My main worry would be major items along with how am I gonna get a car that's 1/2 inch off the ground though 3" of snow.
Anecdotes incoming:

I worked with an older guy who owns a Porsche 911. $300 oil change. 18 quarts. He did it himself, somehow, the first time but it was hellaciously frustrating. He put aside his penny-pinching mindset and decided to not be a J-O-O about it. It rides pretty rough as a daily.

i've read of some pretty catastrophic failures in WRXs on NASIOC here and there -- ringland failures, faulty seals, but a lot were modded and driven hard, launches, racing, etc. Driving style plays a big part in their reliability down the road. If you buy new, I advise to read up on how to properly break in a BOXER. Their prowess in snow is still legendary as long as you're using proper tires, not the stock summers they come with.

G35s look like ass, G37s look better but they're big, personally I'm not a fan of the interior either -- the steering wheel is huge, the analog clock is tacky, etc. Personal preference though, there's lots of people who love em.

"I'm gonna be rich and famous one day when I invent
a device that can be used to stab someone in the
face over the Internet."

Thermo1223

Ya I have feeling with WRX's it was improper installtion of bearings/rings at the factory or just faulty parts. It was such an isolated thing that they wouldn't recall it. Now many the parts were bad and could have easily lasted 100k miles with a sane driver. We all know they are not driven as such.

Hell I guy used to know bought one new and would floor it from dead cold after all his upgrades bring closer to stock STI levels. I believe it was an '05. He was just addicted to the power didn't even use synthetic either. I was trying to talk him into it.
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

acidfast7

Porsche hands down. You're going to lose a shitload of money on a new car and the other used cars won't be any less reliable.

If you don't get the Porsche, at least you could justify the M35 because it's a different type of car. The other cars are poor excuses when compared to the Porsche.

u467

I have a friend who dailies a 911 and winter drives a cayenne turbo. He's always had some pretty high end cars, and his remark about Porsche is that they're the lowest cost cars vs. the others since they're so damn overbuilt. Even the brakes tend to last for fucking ever.