General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ACT

Communication styles with s/os

When you're dating someone for a few months, how do you guys usually communicate? Phone, Text, Chat, E-mail? And, how frequently do you guys talk? I personally prefer phone, even just brief conversations throughout the day.

Also, how do you deal with situations where your s/o communicates they will call you later via text and they never do? Personally, I would rather they not even say that if they aren't going to do that.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

wilse

In person.

ERL857

you're flat out over thinking it, each relationship is different.

I've been with my gf for over 2 years, we're always bbm/email through out the day. (not living together yet) works for us, may not work for you. to each their own.

cokezeroholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERL857 View Post
you're flat out over thinking it, each relationship is different.

I've been with my gf for over 2 years, we're always bbm/email through out the day. (not living together yet) works for us, may not work for you. to each their own.
True.

I personally HATE talking on the phone to anyone in my personal life and just like to use it for work and personal business matters. I tend to discuss things in person with people and I never really use email or texting to just chat.

WILLIAM NOT
theLiberator
"I hate my hair in these anigifs, I'm glad I'm shooting myself in the head in at least one of them f

I'm bad at holding conversations over the phone.

In person is best, but occasional texts are nice.

Chatting is like texting, just when we both happen to be online.

I don't use email for anything other than communication with people outside of my personal life (unless sending them files).

I hate when people say they'll call and then they don't call. Once or twice is a mistake, but consistently means that you need to not say that you will call, but rather that you will try or may call.

Major: Physics, Minor: Chemistry, Life: Non-existant

Runding

We tend to text throughout the day and live together, so we talk at night.

But if someone says they'll call/text and don't -- maybe they just forgot? No need to take it personally, it's just that my life is busy and I tend to forget things often.

WILLIAM NOT
theLiberator
"I hate my hair in these anigifs, I'm glad I'm shooting myself in the head in at least one of them f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runding View Post
We tend to text throughout the day and live together, so we talk at night.

But if someone says they'll call/text and don't -- maybe they just forgot? No need to take it personally, it's just that my life is busy and I tend to forget things often.
It's not about taking it personally. When someone tells me they're going to call, I wait for the call. Again, every so often is okay, esp. in case of business and emergencies, but doing so consistently just means I won't believe you if you say you're going to call.

Runding

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLiberator View Post
It's not about taking it personally. When someone tells me they're going to call, I wait for the call. Again, every so often is okay, esp. in case of business and emergencies, but doing so consistently just means I won't believe you if you say you're going to call.

Ah, I guess I didn't see that you said the whole consistency line in your first post. I understand, and agree.

Foolioq

Quote:
When you're dating someone for a few months, how do you guys usually communicate?And, how frequently do you guys talk?
Important relatonship is not brought up until in person (not mentioned on phone generally, but sometimes). Anything else, all forms of communication are used. Frequency of once a day at minimum, but because we actually have stuff to talk about: plans, something funny happened, problems with or outside of each other, whatever.

I talk to her on the phone because she likes to talk over it when I'm too busy to do something with her on a given. Take a 30 minute conversation instead of a 2 hour minimum hangout seems fair and makes her happy.

Quote:
How do you deal with situations where your s/o communicates they will call you later via text and they never do? Personally, I would rather they not even say that if they aren't going to do that.
I don't worry about it. Even if shes out partying or doing something crazy. If I want to talk to her, I call her. I don't wait for her to call me.

ACT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolioq View Post
Important relatonship is not brought up until in person (not mentioned on phone generally, but sometimes). Anything else, all forms of communication are used. Frequency of once a day at minimum, but because we actually have stuff to talk about: plans, something funny happened, problems with or outside of each other, whatever.

I talk to her on the phone because she likes to talk over it when I'm too busy to do something with her on a given. Take a 30 minute conversation instead of a 2 hour minimum hangout seems fair and makes her happy.

You know, I really wish I could communicate what you just said. This makes total sense and is exactly what I'm thinking.

ACT

In regard to expectations, everyone is different, so I was curious if your s/o went out of town to see family for a few weeks, how frequently do you want them to communicate with you and in what form? Do you think it's unreasonable to feel a little neglected if there is no form of communication after several days?

Cannondale

Text to meet up. Chin wag the rest.

WILLIAM NOT
theLiberator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT View Post
In regard to expectations, everyone is different, so I was curious if your s/o went out of town to see family for a few weeks, how frequently do you want them to communicate with you and in what form? Do you think it's unreasonable to feel a little neglected if there is no form of communication after several days?
Iunno, I wouldn't make a fuss if they're with family, but a text would be nice.