General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

xagent

Help w/ buying home gym (power rack + Olympic weight set + oly lifting platform)

I live in the San Francisco/San Jose Bay Area. I've tried searching Yelp for stores selling fitness equipment but search results turn up nothing. I also want to shop around for best deal.

Does anyone know of any stores in the area where I can buy lifting equipment? Looking to buy a power rack, Olympic barbell, and plates. Also possibly an Olympic lifting platform and some rubber bumper plates. I want to practice Olympic lifts and given that commercial gyms don't droppping the weights, let alone have bumper plates, and the only gyms that do are expensive Olympic lifting or Crossfit gyms that have no open gym hours, I want to build my home gym.

Or should I buy online? And if so, what are some trustworthy sites? Just like there is bodybuilding.com amongst a sea of supplement selling sites, are there any sites that sell good equipment, have cheap prices, and good deals? And what kind of shipping costs am I looking at?

I'm new to all of this, I've never bought any lifting equipment before.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

mainbrotha

ironmind.com, but it's fscking expensive.

xagent

I also don't know much in what to look for in my equipment.

What am I exactly looking for in a good power rack? I don't compete in powerlifting(at least not yet), and I don't ever see myself reaching a 1000 lb squat, 500 lb squat maybe - currently at a 330 lb deadlift, 235 lb squat, 135 lb overhead press, and 145 lb power clean @ a bodyweight of 145 lbs and 5'7", so I do have a lot of room to grow.

What kind of hooks do I want? What kind of safety beams? A 2" hole spacing is fine for me, since as I said I'm not an expert. So a $1000 - $2000 power rack made by EliteFTS is not necessary for me.

I've found some in the $300 - $400 range. Are these junk? Will they fall apart - maybe not now but a year from now if I get my squat up to 400, or start doing heavy rack pulls or shrugs w/ 500 lbs+? What separates these from more expensive racks?

I also found some mid-tier ones, in the $500-$600 range. Worth spending the more money? What am I getting?

Powerline PPR200X: http://www.amazon.com/Powerline-PPR2...ef=pd_sim_sg_7 (I see this same one being sold on Craigslist for about $100 cheaper... is it any good)?

Champion Power Rack: http://my.shop.ssgecom.com/site/espo...oduct/01810900 ($350)

and for a bit more in the $500-600 range, I found these two:

Powertec WB-PR10-B: http://www.fitnesszone.com/Merchant2...de=002-004-008

Body Solid power rack: http://www.fitnessfactory.com/Home/item.cfm?id=3137

Any of those good? Any other recommendations? Other sites to look on?

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

I bought my power rack, pully system, etc from fitnessfactory. great site.

xagent

I just bought: http://www.fitnessfactory.com/Home/item.cfm?id=4286

It's their floor model, so it was discounted down to 429. On top of that I used a promo code that gave me an additional discount, bringing the price to $386!! On top of that, that rack has free shipping! Only $386. Is Body Solid any good?

Now onto the question of barbells and plates. I definitely intend to learn Olympic lifts. I do power cleans in my gym, but never too heavy since I don't want to drop a heavy weight in a big gym, and they only have iron rubber-coated plates.

1. Is it fine if I just get 2 pairs of 45 lb bumper plates and for added weight put on the regular iron plates if they're smaller? For example a 45 lb bumper + 25 lb (regular plate)? Yes I'll buy more iron 45lb plates, I'm talking about just when doing Oly lifts. Or do ALL the plates need to be bumper, even the smaller ones?

2. Also, I have no idea what type of knurling or finish or sleeves I should look for. Is finish just for looks, or does it also affect grip in some way?

3. What are the pros and cons to having a center knurl (knurl = the rough part)? I know it helps on squats, so why do some bars come without it? Given that I've never done true Oly lifting, does a lighter knurl make Oly lifts easier since the bar is easier to spin in the hands? Whereas for powerlifting you want a rough knurl for a better grip? Should I get something in between?

4. I have tiny hands, so I want as thin as possible. This looks to be 28.5mm. Some are even 28mm. So why then are some bars (even the non cheapo ones), thicker, such as 29mm, 31mm, up to 32mm? Aside from helping improve grip, wouldn't a thinner bar be more advantageous in BOTH Olympic lifting and powerlifting?

I'm looking at some Rogue bars... they're recommended by Mark Rippetoe(starting strength dude), Burgener, and Crossfit. Decently priced, not off the wall expensive like high-end Ivanko or York barbells. What's a good one for me?

http://www.roguefitness.com/store/bars.php

sorry for long post! I just want to be sure if I'm going to be spending close to $1000 on a good home gym!

Uncle Fester

elitefts.com if you want some serious stuff.

bigandy

It is fine to use only 45's as your bumper plates. The only concern really is noise. The 45 bumper plates will guard the floor/ iron plates from getting banged up, but if you have more than one iron plate along with the bumper it might get pretty noisy.

mainbrotha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandy View Post
It is fine to use only 45's as your bumper plates. The only concern really is noise. The 45 bumper plates will guard the floor/ iron plates from getting banged up, but if you have more than one iron plate along with the bumper it might get pretty noisy.

It even depends on the type of bumper plate you have. If it's completely bumper plate, as in, it's not a 45lb with rubber coating on the edge and nothing to brace the plate on the inside against the bar, those are pretty damned noisy. I've used some 25kg plates like that at my gym, and they're loud when you drop them.