General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

uRizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
So now that you can probably see all the top times on w/e leaderboards they have, I have to ask this... are all the top times set using the DLC cars that cost extra money?

If the answer is yes I'm not even gonna consider buying this game...

Nah, before I went to be last night I was sitting at #7 on the Fujima old uphill leaderboards using a D-class FC. </brag>

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

SomeoneWhoIsntMe

I keep going over to my friend's house to play this fucking game

really makes me wanna get a 360, but laying out $250 or something just to play this game is a little steep

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoIsntMe View Post
I keep going over to my friend's house to play this fucking game

really makes me wanna get a 360, but laying out $250 or something just to play this game is a little steep
Nah, no console is worth buying for only one game...but if you're into games at all you will have a GINORMOUS back catalog of titles with the 360. Some of the older (but still very good) games can be had for cheap these days..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

SomeoneWhoIsntMe

got a refurb 20gb model for pretty cheap

since they only have a 30 day warranty I'm just going to reflash the dvd drive

uRizen

I got a chance to do more than dick about last night, I'm pretty happy with Forza 3 overall. The cars feel a lot more substantial, it took me a little while to get used to the way the physics are tuned but once I did I really like the new system. The new tracks are excellent, Sedona is a wet dream and that crazy coastal track is as butt-clenching as it gets at times, it's too bad you can't flip a car over the guardrails.

The tuning system is the same as ever, upgrades have been modified a bit. You can now choose different front and rear wheel diameters and widths, they added cooling system upgrades and the drivetrain swap has been changed a bit, you can independantly swap the engine and the drive train. Nothing like swapping the FWD drivetrain for RWD in a little naturally aspirated hatch back.

Career mode has been changed substantially, the new calendar-based system is alright, it looks like there are a ton of different events to go through and I don't mind being goaded into trying an event that I would normally blow off.

Painting has been modified as well, the ability to create decal groups on a flat plane with a grid than load them onto cars makes complex designs a 100x easier to create. I'm not a huge car painting guy but I like to screw with it when I have nothing better to do or need to be distracted while I think. I've posted a couple of small decals and a car design to the storefront and already started raking in the cash, nothing like free in-game money.

There are a few things that I didn't like, the menu system is still a bit cluttered IMO, there's no way to find out how many cylinders your cars have unless you Wiki the vehicle or guess based on displacement (this sucks when you go out to buy a car for a cylinder-specific event), the camera doesn't remain in dash view if you look all the way to the left, right or back (this is gay when I just want to check my mirrors and have to be gentle with the right stick to stay in-car) and I think I need to tinker with the dead zones and sensitivity in the control settings, in constant radius turns and occasionally while trying to stay straight I have to rock the stick back and forth in tiny bits to stay on the line, this happens with all my controllers.

Oh yeah, for those bitching about the "DLC car" pwning the leader boards, go and fucking buy the game. There is no DLC currently available for Forza 3 ATM, those vehicles are the 10 that you receive when you use the card in the Forza 3 packaging. One of which is a $15 million dollar Ferrari.

theNoid

I've been so busy lately, I haven't even had time play this.

SomeoneWhoIsntMe

yeah, the option for FWD, RWD, or AWD drivetrains, lots of engine swaps, and single and twin turbos as well as centrifugal and positive displacement superchargers is sweet.

my friend and I were playing around with the 22B STi, and the twin turbo stock motor ended up working better for fujimi kaido than a supercharged EZ36

and the ability to choose different tire widths is sweet, since now you can run reverse stagger on AWD cars to help with handling

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by uRizen View Post
Oh yeah, for those bitching about the "DLC car" pwning the leader boards, go and fucking buy the game. There is no DLC currently available for Forza 3 ATM, those vehicles are the 10 that you receive when you use the card in the Forza 3 packaging.

2009 Aston Martin DBS
2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
2007 Ferrari 430 Scuderia
2007 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
2007 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (997)

will cost you $20. I think that is the question/complaint here.

Garzilla

Picked this up last night. Played for about an hour. The announcer is annoying as hell. Pretty sweet to be able to drive my car, in-game - Mazdaspeed 3. Going to mess around with the paint feature tonight and play some more career.

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

It's a great game, I agree. I think it's really dumb that disc 2 is just basically DLC on disc.

I also find myself using the rewind function all the time, as many cars don't really corner well enough for these types of tracks, so that's a bit annoying. Also, Auto-Brake? That should NOT be an option, it defeats the purpose unless you're trying to play against your GF, Mom, or 5 year old brother heh.

The best part I've found this year is the storefront. All the free "designs" are awesome, I've even bought some.

uRizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
2009 Aston Martin DBS
2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
2007 Ferrari 430 Scuderia
2007 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
2007 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (997)

will cost you $20. I think that is the question/complaint here.

Fuck, those are going to be DLC purchases? I thought they were just locked pending my achievement of some level of greatness or something. IIRC, wasn't the 430 Scuderia, Superleggera and GT3 already a DLC purchase in Forza 2? I recall buying the pack that had the Scuderia in Forza 2, I don't think I'll be buying any of those cars again.

uRizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHermit View Post
It's a great game, I agree. I think it's really dumb that disc 2 is just basically DLC on disc.

I also find myself using the rewind function all the time, as many cars don't really corner well enough for these types of tracks, so that's a bit annoying. Also, Auto-Brake? That should NOT be an option, it defeats the purpose unless you're trying to play against your GF, Mom, or 5 year old brother heh.

The best part I've found this year is the storefront. All the free "designs" are awesome, I've even bought some.

A lot of the cars do understeer badly at first, they supposedly changed the tire modelling quite a bit from Forza 2 and I noticed that I had to tune a lot of my cars differently from their Forza 2 counterparts to maintain the same steering balance. I usually just have to soften the rear sway bar a bit to regain some rotation, disconnecting it altogether has worked well for the smaller FWD cars like the Abarth. Otherwise my tuning setups from Forza 2 have transferred well and haven't required much tinkering.

Anyone do any drag racing yet? I just picked up an older Trans Am for one of the All-American challenges and plan on turning it into a 1/4 mile monster once this series is complete. Driving the old muscle cars around twisty tracks is a lot more fun after some minor suspension and tire upgrades, they slide over those corners like butter and are a blast in the straights. Not only that, but when you run one in lower-class challenges like D and E the numb-nuts AIs that like to clip you during braking and corner passing just bounce off because they're typically running a little Fiesta, Focus, Abarth or some other lightweight econobox.

Assunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by uRizen View Post
Fuck, those are going to be DLC purchases? I thought they were just locked pending my achievement of some level of greatness or something. IIRC, wasn't the 430 Scuderia, Superleggera and GT3 already a DLC purchase in Forza 2? I recall buying the pack that had the Scuderia in Forza 2, I don't think I'll be buying any of those cars again.

They aren't DLC, they are in the Collector's Edition, which is $80 from GameStop, hence the $20 comment. Perhaps they will be DLC in the future, perhaps they won't.

I paid for the CE for them though

growler
Since I continuously bitch when The Queen posts, she is my new av.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assunder View Post
They aren't DLC, they are in the Collector's Edition, which is $80 from GameStop, hence the $20 comment. Perhaps they will be DLC in the future, perhaps they won't.

I paid for the CE for them though

one is born every minute