General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

MrPillow

Quote:
I'm not sure why though. I just like the ability to hit things from really far away.
And what about when said things are really close?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Fear Night
Speed Limit?!?

Hard to go wrong with an AK or AR. Availability of ammo would be key in a SHTF scenario.

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiler View Post
Most people fail to realize that in a SHTF scenario, little things like being able to clean your weapon are actually big problems people overlook. An AR, and even m-14's to a lesser extent, need to be maintained often. You will not have an infinite supply of solvent, lube....hell you may not even have a good supply of water. In a SHTF scenario, my weapon of choice would be something reliable to no end. That choice is obvious, an AK47. Even my M44 wouldnt be a bad choice, good range, accuracy and power, ROF suffers, but I wouldnt really worry about that anyways since ammunition would be a scarce commodity in short time.

I just laugh at all the people who think high maintenance guns are actually viable long term weapons during a time of hard ship, when supplies will be short.

I think the question here should be "its the end of the world, what do you start with?" since shit is going to break, fail, jam and run out of ammo. Picking a weapon and planning on keeping it for 5 years is a poor plan. Literally everything man-made will become a commodity with any serious shtf that lasts any serious duration is going to shoot to shit everyones plans. What you have with on day 1 will most definately be different from what you have on day 11.

iqarus

AR in .223 with lupold glass, picatinny rail for flashlight, laser (so movie cliche i know, but in a natural disaster the flashlight would help immensely).

either a glock or 1911 in .45

mossberg 500 pump, with a picatinny rail to mount one of the spetsnaz 20 shell, shell holders. 12 gauge.

200 rounds of .223, 200 rounds of .45, 50 rounds of 12ga. slug, 50 rounds of 12ga. 00 shot. 3 spare mags for AR and .45

machete, and a nice benchmade tac knife.

some webbing or a tac. vest to hold ammunition etc.

a UHF long range handheld, and a mobile phone on a national provider.

100 yards of triple weave nylon rope, with 6 stainless anchors, a belay device, 2 cams, a dozen locking carabiners. and a throw hook.

a decent pair of lace up boots, a pair of ski goggles with clear lenses (use in heavy rain for clearer vision).

a hutchee roll (8x4 foot nylon sheet used as light, compact shelter), waterproof matches, a quart of fuel (gasoline/kerosine), and 3, 4' foot lengths of nylon cord/rope.

all this (sans weapons...dont have experience cross-country hiking with that extra weight), is more than easily carried. and i guess could be made to be carried quietly so it didnt rattle/tinkle with movement.

i included the climbing gear because 2 of the safest places IMO to be in one of those situations is a tall tree, or top floor/s of buildings with inoperable elevators and locked stairwells. only another person with climbing gear would be able to get to you, or even know you were there.

Defiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33T_h4x0r_d00d View Post
I think the question here should be "its the end of the world, what do you start with?" since shit is going to break, fail, jam and run out of ammo. Picking a weapon and planning on keeping it for 5 years is a poor plan. Literally everything man-made will become a commodity with any serious shtf that lasts any serious duration is going to shoot to shit everyones plans. What you have with on day 1 will most definately be different from what you have on day 11.

well, to start with, Id go with something VERY reliable, because you dont know what or if you will have something else later on. Something thats easy to fix, and rugged is essential if things become commodities later on.

The Unflushable Turd
BetaMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPillow View Post
And what about when said things are really close?

Big bullets make a bigger mess.
Thugs wearing body armor?
ahahha 7.62x54R laughs at body armor.

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unflushable Turd View Post
Big bullets make a bigger mess.
Thugs wearing body armor?
ahahha 7.62x54R laughs at body armor.

body armor is why I would opt for a shotgun over a handgun if I had only ONE weapon. I'm not sure if a slug would go through body armor, but it'd do more then any handgun would

The Unflushable Turd
BetaMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHermit View Post
body armor is why I would opt for a shotgun over a handgun if I had only ONE weapon. I'm not sure if a slug would go through body armor, but it'd do more then any handgun would

shotgun + bodyarmor = use pellets and HEAD SHOT.
OUCH imagine a fucking slug to the head even. LOL

mofugger
I'm married to a gay man

iirc, Class IIIA Armor is designed to stop 12gauge slugs.

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofugger View Post
iirc, Class IIIA Armor is designed to stop 12gauge slugs.

I'm sure it'd knock you on your ass though, leaving you vulnerable for subsequent shots.

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET

blindviper

if you get hit by a 12 ga slug with IIIa armor you will have more then a broken rib
page 3
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot16.htm

The Unflushable Turd
BetaMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindviper View Post
if you get hit by a 12 ga slug with IIIa armor you will have more then a broken rib
page 3
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot16.htm

would have liked to see what a 7.62x54R would have done to that clay lol

Soybomb

Quote:
Armor is rated not only by penetration but by backface deformation. I'm not saying it won't hurt, but in general you stop people by destroying their cardiovascular system or central nervous sytem if you want to force them to stop. Pain is hoping they'll stop and not what we're looking for from effective rounds.

Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unflushable Turd View Post
shotgun + bodyarmor = use pellets and HEAD SHOT.
OUCH imagine a fucking slug to the head even. LOL

boom HEAD SHOT!!!

Komataguri

Realisticly

I'd pick a shotgun with an ample supply of slugs and shot [ and maybe some homemade grenade rounds if I managed to get the instructions off the intarweb before the world ended ]

What I would really like, tho?

M246 SAW, With about 3 bajillion cans of ammo. Oh god that would make my day