General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

TBNZee
loon's cumdumpster.

The big banks on Wall St. cut, I think, 100k-150k jobs this year (in new york alone). It sucks that you got cought in this financial industry shitstorm (I'm graduating in two weeks, and am glad that I accepted a job offer last summer, when they were still paying well).
That said, your career as a whole, while is prolly slightly depressed by your gpa and the current market conditions, will not depend on these few years. If you're still motivated, you can still find SOME job, get experience, prove yourself, and move up. In 10 years, no one will care about your college GPA, but rather how you proved yourself at your old jobs.
The other option is you go get and get a masters in Financial Engneering or something (not MBA, as that requires experience) and hope the marketplace is better in 2/3 years.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

LegendKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBNZee View Post
The big banks on Wall St. cut, I think, 100k-150k jobs this year (in new york alone). It sucks that you got cought in this financial industry shitstorm (I'm graduating in two weeks, and am glad that I accepted a job offer last summer, when they were still paying well).
That said, your career as a whole, while is prolly slightly depressed by your gpa and the current market conditions, will not depend on these few years. If you're still motivated, you can still find SOME job, get experience, prove yourself, and move up. In 10 years, no one will care about your college GPA, but rather how you proved yourself at your old jobs.
The other option is you go get and get a masters in Financial Engneering or something (not MBA, as that requires experience) and hope the marketplace is better in 2/3 years.

It hasn't been close to that. It's been about 50k.

As far as getting a masters in FE, that's an idea.

TBNZee
loon's cumdumpster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendKiller View Post

I dunno, i'm quoting a Lehman senior vp.

gwvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendKiller View Post

Well, I live in manhattan, so those are the job losses that fuck me the most.

LegendKiller

Quote:
I dunno, i'm quoting a Lehman senior vp.

And I am quoting myself. If he was taking about what *may* happen, that could be true (but I doubt it).

TBNZee
loon's cumdumpster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwvg View Post

Do you go to Stern? (cuz i do)

edit: also, have you tried looking for jobs not in new york, NYC business majors are pretty desired everywhere else in the country (Chicago, SF, Denver, St. Louis, etc)

gwvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromicus View Post
Did you make a thread congratulating yourself about how you got 3.3 in a top undergrad program? If you're in college to learn things, you've obviously succeeded and this dispute with your mom is really a factual disagreement, and she just happens to be wrong. If you're in college to get a pat on the back from your mom, you've obviously failed. But if that's really your motivation, then you deserved to fail right from the start.

LOL, why the fuck would I congratulate myself for a fucking 3,3? The people that beat me out for internships this year all had 3.7-3.9 gpa's. Hell, I sat and talked with them while I was waiting for my interviews. I should've majored in marketing and communications.

LegendKiller

Quote:

It'll pass. I'm in the boat along with the rest of the people who could lose their jobs. At this point most are just trying to stay relevant.

isugoat

a little harsh, but if my parents paid my way through college at one of the top 20 business undergrad programs in the country i'd expect to catch some hell now and then. be happy they paid for all of your college save one semester.

for advice, are you only looking at paid internships? if so, scratch that and look at all of them.

and it's 36,000 jobs in NYC guys:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080424/...t_layoffs_dc_5

gwvg

Quote:
Do you go to Stern? (cuz i do)

edit: also, have you tried looking for jobs not in new york, NYC business majors are pretty desired everywhere else in the country (Chicago, SF, Denver, St. Louis, etc)

I already own an apartment in manhattan. Moving out isnt really an option unless they pay me big $$$.

TBNZee
loon's cumdumpster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoat View Post
a little harsh, but if my parents paid my way through college at one of the top 20 business undergrad programs in the country i'd expect to catch some hell now and then. be happy they paid for all of your college save one semester.

for advice, are you only looking at paid internships? if so, scratch that and look at all of them.

and it's 36,000 jobs in NYC guys:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080424/...t_layoffs_dc_5

This makes sense. Agreed

fout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
My GPA is less than 2.0 out of 4.0, but I don't consider myself to be a failure in any sense of the word.

why exactly do you even bother going to college if you can't hold at least a b-?

i'm not calling you a "failure," but you sure seem to be throwing money away (whether it be the government's or your own)

gwvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fout View Post
why exactly do you even bother going to college if you can't hold at least a b-?

i'm not calling you a "failure," but you sure seem to be throwing money away (whether it be the government's or your own)

Yo, off topic. Take it to PM.

cromicus
I act tough on genmay, but real life im a pussy

Quote:
LOL, why the fuck would I congratulate myself for a fucking 3,3? The people that beat me out for internships this year all had 3.7-3.9 gpa's. Hell, I sat and talked with them while I was waiting for my interviews.
So what's really bothering you? We're hearing that other people are better than you, that you didn't get a job, that your mom hates you and that you might not be getting free money anymore.

Quote:
I should've majored in marketing and communications.
Yeah I'm sure you'd be proud of yourself being a professional con artist

Rizen

Quote:
LOL, why the fuck would I congratulate myself for a fucking 3,3? The people that beat me out for internships this year all had 3.7-3.9 gpa's. Hell, I sat and talked with them while I was waiting for my interviews. I should've majored in marketing and communications.
Because grades don't mean shit and something like 3 of the 5 richest people in America didn't finish college?

Why is there so much fucking importance on a number on a transcript that no one will care about once you have your diploma?

It's an INTERNSHIP. Get your shit together and move on, and who gives a shit what your parents think. You're responsible for your life and your success, not them.