General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

macPlahola

$1.75 for one large load and $1.25 for the dryer... $3.00 for one load is best guess.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

diearzte2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Correct, no longer university affiliated. However I can't imagine being asked to sign for a package when I was a doctoral student

Because the rest of the world does not live in NYC. Buildings without concierges/doormen are not allowed into the building unless someone lets them in. Most will not even make the attempt, hence the need for a concierge. We have a box on Lexington that can sign for packages, but we have to get the from the box and haul them to our place. Dreadfully inconvenient.

There is the chance that the super just happens to be around, or someone is entering the building, right then the delivery guy comes. In cases such as this I would find a package outside my door. However it's completely random that this happens. And if they miss you, they keep it at the shop--way the fuck out in Queens, open only from 9-5 M-F. Fuck taking off work to pick up a package.

I live in a building on the UES without a doorman... FedEx is now sending the netbook that I couldn't sign for or pick up back to the company that shipped it to me. I usually send stuff to my office, as most people I've met do, but couldn't with this. Having a doorman in this city isn't as pretentious as one might think, it is actually very convenient and employs a lot of people.

Also, where are you finding a 900sf 2 bedroom for 2500 in Manhattan?? In a halfway decent building that doesn't even pay for a 1 bedroom.

To the OP, I pay 69 cents/pound for wash/fold in Manhattan.

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Correct, no longer university affiliated. However I can't imagine being asked to sign for a package when I was a doctoral student

Because the rest of the world does not live in NYC. Buildings without concierges/doormen are not allowed into the building unless someone lets them in. Most will not even make the attempt, hence the need for a concierge. We have a box on Lexington that can sign for packages, but we have to get the from the box and haul them to our place. Dreadfully inconvenient.

There is the chance that the super just happens to be around, or someone is entering the building, right then the delivery guy comes. In cases such as this I would find a package outside my door. However it's completely random that this happens. And if they miss you, they keep it at the shop--way the fuck out in Queens, open only from 9-5 M-F. Fuck taking off work to pick up a package.
I work in a department a large state university.

The grad students, regardless of what degree they're pursuing, are the researchers' bitches. We happen to have a receptionist in our building whose job it is to sign for packages, but if we didn't, you bet your ass the grad students would have to camp out in the lobby, waiting for packages. The researchers would laugh about it too, and maybe pelt them with little piece of bread, or paper.

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo

I don't get how laundry money is even an topic when your rent is $1000+

Forever Domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiah View Post
I don't get how laundry money is even an topic when your rent is $1000+
1000 bucks is cheap for a good portion of the country :/

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo

well honestly our rent is not much less

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post

The grad students, regardless of what degree they're pursuing, are the researchers' bitches. We happen to have a receptionist in our building whose job it is to sign for packages, but if we didn't, you bet your ass the grad students would have to camp out in the lobby, waiting for packages. The researchers would laugh about it too, and maybe pelt them with little piece of bread, or paper.

Heh, wasn't the same in my department. Research bitches sure, but work was always aligned with the actual degree we were pursuing

JPF_

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
department a large state university.

Quote:
department a large state university.

Talking as if you work for a college and have been through proper English studies.

edit: FFFFFFFUUUU Vendetta for correcting my grammar twice, and not Razor

Panda Monium

In NY, a load of laundry is $2.75 for a single to a double load (depends on if you want to believe the tiny machines are really "double loads.)

Was thinking about those mini washing machines for in home use or those environmentally friendly hand crank ones so we wouldn't have to leave for a quick wash, but with a kid on the way, not sure if that's even a good idea.

Fiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF_ View Post
Talking as if you work for a college and have been through proper English studies.

edit: FFFFFFFUUUU Vendetta for correcting my grammar twice, and not Razor

Hey numbnuts, that's correct usage of the 'a' form.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/591/1/

acidfast7

Quote:

not sure where you are, but it sounds shitty. did we attend the same place?

mamoonkay

About $5 for my laundry.

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiah View Post
Hey numbnuts, that's correct usage of the 'a' form.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/591/1/

Yeah, but I left out the word "of." "A department of a large state university."

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
not sure where you are, but it sounds shitty. did we attend the same place?

Well, I attended Texas A&M, but it's not shitty...

acidfast7

Quote:

Well, I attended Texas A&M, but it's not shitty...

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post

I mean, it's no European school - they didn't teach us about accent walls or how to make plastic deck chairs look sophisticated in a tiny shoebox apartment, but they did have classes taught by Nobel laureates, and I figure that has to count for something.