General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Slacker
 
Slacker's Avatar
 
Selling on eBay, Amazon, etc.

I went through the garage last weekend and collected some stuff to sell. Some old computer stuff (routers, speakers, modems, etc.) a few new clothing items, and some miscellaneous other houseware type things.

I haven't sold anything on eBay in years. Any general advice for how to market things or dealing with transactions? I know I can expect lots of scammers and I don't fully trust PayPal not to screw me over if someone tries to scam me. What's the best way to deal with this stuff?

I'm going to try and put things on Amazon first because I've had decent luck with them in the past.
__________________
[M]ilitary [M]ayhem
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy
Old 01-21-2012, 04:33 PM Slacker is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
I don't sell on Ebay that often, but the best thing I've found to protect yourself is limit bidders/buyers to your own country, only accept paypal and only ship to paypal verified addresses. I've been selling shit off and on for over a decade using this method without issues. (occasionally I'll allow Canadian buyers, but never Mexico, S. America or anywhere else)
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/········\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 01-21-2012, 05:23 PM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#2  

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse
 
Lurker's Avatar
 
Joemama is right on the money. I follow the same rules and I also have other controls in place to block bidders with negative feedback and any infractions. On top of that, I actively monitor who is bidding because sometimes even if you mention that you don't ship international, they will still bid, so I often cancel their bids. I also make sure to provide very good pictures and extremely accurate descriptions with clear instructions often bolding and coloring the really important stuff, this way there are no guessing games or shit from buyers later.

Knock on wood, so far so good.
__________________
Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:24 PM Lurker is offline  
Reply With Quote
#3  

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Joemama is right on the money. I follow the same rules and I also have other controls in place to block bidders with negative feedback and any infractions. On top of that, I actively monitor who is bidding because sometimes even if you mention that you don't ship international, they will still bid, so I often cancel their bids. I also make sure to provide very good pictures and extremely accurate descriptions with clear instructions often bolding and coloring the really important stuff, this way there are no guessing games or shit from buyers later.

Knock on wood, so far so good.
It takes a little more effort, but if you manually check off each country/region you want to exclude...bidders are automatically blocked. I've never had any trouble with Canuckistan, but I usually only allow north of the border for small things that don't cost a huge amount to ship..
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/········\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 01-21-2012, 10:43 PM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#4  

Gibonius
 
Ebay will side with the buyer on almost everything these days, no matter how ridiculous the claim may be. Very easy to get screwed and difficult to avoid. I know a lot of people are moving away from the whole thing. Be sure to document everything, do delivery confirmation on anything expensive. If they file a complaint and do a return, film opening the package. Sometimes they'll "return" stuff and you'll get a box full of rocks or whatever instead of the item.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
I also have other controls in place to block bidders with negative feedback and any infractions.

You can't get negative feedback as a buyer anymore, so that doesn't go too far.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:22 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#5  

Guess Who
 
I don't like to use E-bay to sell things on. I do not trust E-bay. I use craigslist sometimes. I normally stick to sites that are not either site to be honest.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:34 PM Guess Who is offline  
Reply With Quote
#6  

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse
 
Lurker's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Ebay will side with the buyer on almost everything these days, no matter how ridiculous the claim may be. Very easy to get screwed and difficult to avoid. I know a lot of people are moving away from the whole thing. Be sure to document everything, do delivery confirmation on anything expensive. If they file a complaint and do a return, film opening the package. Sometimes they'll "return" stuff and you'll get a box full of rocks or whatever instead of the item.

You can't get negative feedback as a buyer anymore, so that doesn't go too far.

This is what drives me up the wall. Sellers are now at the mercy of buyers and seller feedback is no longer as reliable as it once was. IMHO sellers are basically afraid of getting negative feedback because they have zero recourse. In turn they bend over back wards to prevent it and feedback that they get is skewed.

Case in point. I bought toners on ebay. Guys description said they were good. He offered to take them back and refund me return shipping too. Do I leave him shitty product feedback? I feel kinda bad since he is so accommodating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
It takes a little more effort, but if you manually check off each country/region you want to exclude...bidders are automatically blocked. I've never had any trouble with Canuckistan, but I usually only allow north of the border for small things that don't cost a huge amount to ship..

I didnt know you could do that.
I too dont have an issue with Canada. I usually ship anything up there if the buyer is willing to pay for it.
__________________
Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:05 AM Lurker is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7  

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse
 
Lurker's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
I don't like to use E-bay to sell things on. I do not trust E-bay. I use craigslist sometimes. I normally stick to sites that are not either site to be honest.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Sadly though I pay for the convenience as do a lot of other people. I dont have time to deal with craigslist or forums anymore. Yes it takes a bite from my earnings but I really cant deal with the forum haggling and craigslist .
__________________
Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:07 AM Lurker is offline  
Reply With Quote
#8  

s0me0nesmind1
 
s0me0nesmind1's Avatar
 
eBay = Not worth it unless your item is $100+.... even $50 item is pushing it. Case in point - my girlfriend has a bunch of new and old clothes she never wore with tags or only worn a few times. I told her fuck no I'm not making eBay auctions - 50% of those aren't going to get bids and you will have to pay the fee to even place it, plus it will sell for $0.50 - $2 at most. TOTALLY not worth the time and hassle. You also risk incorrectly calculating shipping costs (since they have gone up across the board as well).

If you can't find a local place to sell $0 - $50 items - then fucking donate it and grab a receipt to take as a tax deduction. JUST. NOT. WORTH. IT.


Fuck eBay. It used to be nice. Now it's a lump of fucking shit. They side with the buyers. They fucking quadroopled the % the auction sells for - plus you lose another % from paypal. At the end of the day, FUCK IT.
__________________
8e12bfe909ef9fcfaa2d400a638d4801 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
║▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
╚═╝
Old 01-25-2012, 09:34 AM s0me0nesmind1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#9  

DarkHelmet
BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD
 
DarkHelmet's Avatar
 
I use ebay mostly as an advertizing tool, I much prefer people call the number and we deal direct.

Ebay was fine back when you could use a check or money order, but with requiring paypal sets the seller up to be fucked.

Paypal puts a hold on our account for payments received for 21 days or more. We have to call them every time to get the payment hold released, they do not do it automatically. What paypal says to do is ship the item and when you have confirmed delivery (only with ups and usps, we use fedex) or they leave feedback (no international buyers use feedback) you get the money faster. This is not true and if the seller knows you do this, they will dispute the transaction and paypal/ebay will always side with them.

I've had this happen once, and I was not only out the 5000 dollars for the equipment, but I was out the money I fronted to buy the equipment from the manufacturer. Since then, I require full payment to clear paypal before shipment (this means to my checking account via ACH). It pisses the people off, but I put this in my auction listing and they should have just dealt direct if they wanted the equipment faster than a month (22-24 days to clear to my paypal account and 3 days for the ACH to get to my checking account).

The other issue is on ebay I can't go more than 4 days with out some fucker buying shit from me and then bitching about me charging sales tax cuz it ships to Doral, FL. Doral is right next to MIA is and we get fucks from CALA using freight forwarding services from there all the time. This means they have a US ebay account but it's being shipped by the freight forwarder in Doral to them outside the USA. From our perspective it's an instate sale, so 7% sales tax is due (unless you have a DBPR resale cert, which they never have). So due to my complying with the law about 1 out of 3 of these people never pay the invoice, and I have to open up a damn complaint with ebay. Ebay takes about 3 weeks to do this and credit back the fees. In the meanwhile I can't relist the items.


Now my next major bitch is the damn fees. Ebay takes about 180 for every item we sell (including the listing fees), and paypal takes another 3% for their "services". On a typical $5k sale price this is about 7%, and is more like 10% on the smaller items.
Even if they source the funds from a checking account we still get hit with a 3% fee and a hold on the money for 25 days.

The only reason I'm still on ebay is for the advertising it provides. I'll list some second hand equipment I get back from customers and then unload it quick while finding new customers for the new equipment. However there are some real dumb fucks, I've had people from CALA go and put this gear online and have it get hit by lightning, have it "repaired" by some fly by night shop and then try to return it.

Now i do have some good customers in CALA, some that I've done over 20k in sales with, who I've found through ebay, but you have to deal with lots of crap to find good ones.

Remember you need to watch out for yourself and get money in hand before you ship. money in paypal is not really money.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:54 AM DarkHelmet is offline  
Reply With Quote
#10  

Xcric
i have 3 girlfriends but they dont know it yet
 
Xcric's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Ebay will side with the buyer on almost everything these days, no matter how ridiculous the claim may be. Very easy to get screwed and difficult to avoid. I know a lot of people are moving away from the whole thing. Be sure to document everything, do delivery confirmation on anything expensive. If they file a complaint and do a return, film opening the package. Sometimes they'll "return" stuff and you'll get a box full of rocks or whatever instead of the item.




You can't get negative feedback as a buyer anymore, so that doesn't go too far.

this here. this made me use amazon instead.

the trouble with amazon though is that you get just as many guys trying to scam you. amazon is much much much better about siding with the seller though. if you have documentation, and don't speak like a 3rd grader, you usually don't have to worry about it. the real trouble is with their feedback system. if your feedback gets too low your listings get closed... all it takes is 1 guy who couldn't read an item description, demands a refund without sending the product back, doesn't get his way, and leaves you shitty feedback. you're allowed to refute it at least.

edit: and fuck ebay for always siding with the sellers. i sold a $50 magic card on there, standard usps shipping. going from upstate new york to miami. two days after i marked the item as shipped... guy says he hasn't gotten it yet. i send ebay a copy of the receipt saying it was mailed 2 days before, asking them to be realistic and wait more than 2 days for an item to ship down the eastern seaboard.... NOPE! they give the guy his money back, and demand i pay them $75 instead of just the $50. the next day the guy receives the item and recredits me. i refuse to pay ebay for being a bunch of assholes without a brain, so they send a $75 bill that is their fault... to debt collections and they've been calling once per week ever since. fucking whores.
__________________
“My sorrow: to dream of simple times and wake in mine . . . .”
—Ola DaRiol, “Regrets”

Last edited by Xcric; 01-25-2012 at 10:16 AM..
Old 01-25-2012, 10:05 AM Xcric is offline  
Reply With Quote
#11  

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse
 
Lurker's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
eBay = Not worth it unless your item is $100+.... even $50 item is pushing it. Case in point - my girlfriend has a bunch of new and old clothes she never wore with tags or only worn a few times. I told her fuck no I'm not making eBay auctions - 50% of those aren't going to get bids and you will have to pay the fee to even place it, plus it will sell for $0.50 - $2 at most. TOTALLY not worth the time and hassle. You also risk incorrectly calculating shipping costs (since they have gone up across the board as well).

Fuck eBay. It used to be nice. Now it's a lump of fucking shit. They side with the buyers. They fucking quadroopled the % the auction sells for - plus you lose another % from paypal. At the end of the day, FUCK IT.

If you start an auction with .99 and use their standard options listing is free. I also host my own pics at any size I want. I don't remember the last time I paid a listing fee.

As for shipping costs. I ship 99% of items in USPS flat rate boxes otherwise I weigh and measure and price the packages using their site before listing.

Stuff like cloths are a tough sell regardless of where you sell it, if you cant try it on or feel it then you are unlikely to buy it. However, I just sold a motorcycle jacket for 350 bucks that went like greased lightening, also a bunch of cellphones that even after fees netted me more than I was asking on forums.

At the end of the day you have to be mindful of what you are selling, somethings do and some things don't and never will.
__________________
Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:24 AM Lurker is offline  
Reply With Quote
#12  

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse
 
Lurker's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHelmet View Post
Ebay was fine back when you could use a check or money order, but with requiring paypal sets the seller up to be fucked.

Paypal puts a hold on our account for payments received for 21 days or more. We have to call them every time to get the payment hold released, they do not do it automatically. What paypal says to do is ship the item and when you have confirmed delivery (only with ups and usps, we use fedex) or they leave feedback (no international buyers use feedback) you get the money faster. This is not true and if the seller knows you do this, they will dispute the transaction and paypal/ebay will always side with them.

Now my next major bitch is the damn fees. Ebay takes about 180 for every item we sell (including the listing fees), and paypal takes another 3% for their "services". On a typical $5k sale price this is about 7%, and is more like 10% on the smaller items.
Even if they source the funds from a checking account we still get hit with a 3% fee and a hold on the money for 25 days.

That cant be right. I thought you can choose additional payment methods?

I don't have a hold on my account but then again I don't deal with large sum transactions, however I do have a business account. First time I am hearing about this.

Fees are fees, they have to eat too. If you can find something better go for it.

Bottom line: Most of your complaints have nothing to do with ebay or their business model, just your disagreement with the terms.
__________________
Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 AM Lurker is offline  
Reply With Quote
#13  

DarkHelmet
BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD
 
DarkHelmet's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
That cant be right. I thought you can choose additional payment methods?

Nope, you must accept paypal, no taking a company check or wire transfer which would be much easier for most people.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
I don't have a hold on my account but then again I don't deal with large sum transactions, however I do have a business account. First time I am hearing about this.

Fees are fees, they have to eat too. If you can find something better go for it.

Bottom line: Most of your complaints have nothing to do with ebay or their business model, just your disagreement with the terms.

Bottom line you're not having to deal with the scam artists and n1ggers that infest ebay and their backwards way of fucking their customers over. I'd not have an issue with a 10% fee if I did not get fucked by them at every turn. Why don't you STFU and keep your n1ggerish comments about my business to your self.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:52 PM DarkHelmet is offline  
Reply With Quote
#14  

Guess Who
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about. Sadly though I pay for the convenience as do a lot of other people. I dont have time to deal with craigslist or forums anymore. Yes it takes a bite from my earnings but I really cant deal with the forum haggling and craigslist .

One piece of advice if you use E-Bay. Always charge for shipping. I prefer other sites. I have heard about a lot of scams on e-bay. So I avoid that site if I can. Craigs list has some scams but not as many as e-bay.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:06 PM Guess Who is offline  
Reply With Quote
#15  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:10 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.