General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

r00tshell

Airtran up big again!

woowoo 15% in 3 days

Stop the pissing match guys - get back to the topic at hand.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00tshell View Post
Airtran up big again!

woowoo 15% in 3 days

Stop the pissing match guys - get back to the topic at hand.

r00tshell

I think i'm going to close out my small position in AMD.

I really have no faith in their management and there's better returns to be made elsewhere.

r00tshell

What do you guys think about GRMN?

It's trading at a ridiculous 11 P/E ratio. I might be following this one over the next few weeks

Sun Microsystems might be on my radar in the coming weeks too. There's been a lot of movement afterhours after Sun recorded a wider loss than expected.. it's down to $14/share.

They have decent technology, hardware, and a general business model, but they just can't seem to put it all together. I used to own some shares a few years ago and their performance has been absolutely flat. The stock has gone absolutely nowhere in the past few years - the 1:4 reverse split was a bad decision IMO.

Last edited by r00tshell; 05-01-2008 at 03:42 PM..

red|dragon

Quote:

It's trading at a ridiculous 11 P/E ratio. I might be following this one over the next few weeks

Sun Microsystems might be on my radar in the coming weeks too. There's been a lot of movement afterhours after Sun recorded a wider loss than expected.. it's down to $14/share.

They have decent technology, hardware, and a general business model, but they just can't seem to put it all together. I used to own some shares a few years ago and their performance has been absolutely flat. The stock has gone absolutely nowhere in the past few years - the 1:4 reverse split was a bad decision IMO.

Best time to buy was on Wednesday after it dropped like 13%. Went up 5% today. GRMN is a wild beast though. I bought in at 90 or so and it kick my ass a little. I was done getting my ass kicked so I let it go with about a 3% loss. (OMG SOMETIMES WE LOSE) It's still an unfavored sector and GRMN is still competing very much with other brands like TomTom.

r00tshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by red|dragon View Post
Best time to buy was on Wednesday after it dropped like 13%. Went up 5% today. GRMN is a wild beast though. I bought in at 90 or so and it kick my ass a little. I was done getting my ass kicked so I let it go with about a 3% loss. (OMG SOMETIMES WE LOSE) It's still an unfavored sector and GRMN is still competing very much with other brands like TomTom.
It's down pretty big in afterhours trading - right back to where it was on Wednesday.

I am thinking about picking it up - their cashflow looks fairly solid and they seem healthy enough financially.

Last edited by r00tshell; 05-01-2008 at 04:10 PM..

aoeoae

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivo View Post
As you should know, there are no absolutes in the market. The only constant is change. There are those of us who can and do make their money by placing their bets on signals/indicators/analysis which yeild to one result more than another. In the long run this person can grow riches. When you think about it, a fundamental style trader does the same exact thing. Only they get their info from a different main source.

No entity can make a fool proof stand alone model. The model itself would have to be dynamic. I have been working on a program myself actually. The idea is to eliminate most of the grunt work. But even still, when it's all said and done, it will still need a human to update itself.
best point in this thread. it's nonsense to say any school of investing is "the one and only" when there are so many intelligent, very successful investors who've used diametrically opposing methods. everyone should read this: http://www.investopedia.com/universi...st/default.asp

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

Quote:

I don't see the point in the trade unless you're going to hold. They missed their earnings by a lot...

r00tshell

Wow, SUN got mauled...

muppetz
tardbaby

What's your guys opinion on Citibank (C) for long term? It's currently trading almost 50% below it's high last year and with the worst in the financial sector behind us it seems like a good oportunity to open up a position.

LegalMaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetz View Post
What's your guys opinion on Citibank (C) for long term? It's currently trading almost 50% below it's high last year and with the worst in the financial sector behind us it seems like a good oportunity to open up a position.

Long term it's going to be much higher. I think you can wait and get in at a better price because it's had a big run over the past few sessions, but the prospects through the end of this year are good.

bacf17acd5a8e3724da300df7aa223

red|dragon

Check out CDS

Manik
Actual size of my penis.

nvm

Last edited by Manik; 05-02-2008 at 06:08 PM..

Zangmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by red|dragon View Post
Check out CDS

good call.

Still looking for AKAM to fall farther though Monday will tell.

I'm long AAPL June puts now.

r00tshell

What do you guys make of this MSFT / YHOO situation?

I personally think Jerry Yang has no damn clue about shareholder maximization. Here's a company thats failed over and over again to reinvent itself, continually losing market share to google and other competitors in both search and advertising. Microsoft comes along and offers a 70% premium to what the stock was trading at in January and Yang still balks at the deal.

I really think that Yahoo shareholders are the bigtime losers in this transaction because barring a miracle, there is no way they'll get that type of value from holding the stock. At this point, I think Yahoo is pretty heavy on the decline with no real answer in sight. I mean, they experimented and are seriously considering outsourcing their search function to Google Talk about admitting futility..

On the other side, I think this is a good situation for Microsoft to be in. They made a more than fair offer to Yahoo, but they aren't willing to overpay for it. You can rag on the guy, but if anyone knows something about shareholder wealth maximization - it's Steve Balmer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Yahoo crawl back to the bargaining table and eventually concede to Microsoft. I think this would be the ideal situation for Microsoft because Yahoo would have to initiate the contact and the deal would be friendly. Either way, I'm very happy to own shares in Microsoft.