General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
thedoom
 
thedoom's Avatar
 
Ah, the pleasures of conformity

(but it's a good guide when someone does force me into one of those things )
Old 07-30-2010, 03:35 PM thedoom is offline  
Reply With Quote
#91  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

tegandje
LOOK AT ME, IM A FUCKIN HIPSTER
 
tegandje's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Skinny ties are a fad, they'll go away in a few years. You'll never look out of place wearing ties around 3.5" wide, classic width. And you'll probably look out of place at the office with a skinny tie.

Meh.
Hermes are a bit smaller on the norm. They got 3-1/4" to 3-1/2", but are on that skinny tie bandwagon right now.
I think I want to be skinny when I'm older so I'll probably stick with 3" ish ones
Slightly skinnier, but not retardedly skinny.
__________________
b35b36db324a18b072d431f4fbb833d1 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:43 PM tegandje is offline  
Reply With Quote
#92  

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you
 
Vendetta's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoom View Post
Ah, the pleasures of conformity

(but it's a good guide when someone does force me into one of those things )

I'm the only person in my office who dresses like this
Old 07-30-2010, 04:02 PM Vendetta is offline  
Reply With Quote
#93  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by andje View Post
Meh.
Hermes are a bit smaller on the norm. They got 3-1/4" to 3-1/2", but are on that skinny tie bandwagon right now.
I think I want to be skinny when I'm older so I'll probably stick with 3" ish ones
Slightly skinnier, but not retardedly skinny.

"Skinny" usually means 2" or so. I think they look stupid in general, but I have a 46" chest and so they look REALLY bad on me. The slimmest tie I've worn was 3", and it was madras with a casual linen suit. I usually go 3.5" or bigger.

Haven't tried anything by Hermes, usually out of my budget and the whole "cutesy animal print" thing doesn't really do it for me. Got a bunch by Paul Smith, Altea, Brooks Brothers, then a random grab bag of other makers.

I need a grenadine silk tie but they're so damned expensive J Press had them on sale for like $65 and I missed it.

I haven't been wearing ties all summer, work is more casual and it's so damn hot here. I miss it though, ties are fun.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:49 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#94  

bitterball
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehark View Post
My go-to for weddings is either a pink or turquoise shirt and black/turq/pink tie to match. Helps you stand out among all the cornflower blue and white.

Thanks for the advice. Stripes or solid color?
Old 07-30-2010, 05:00 PM bitterball is offline  
Reply With Quote
#95  

tegandje
LOOK AT ME, IM A FUCKIN HIPSTER
 
tegandje's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
"Skinny" usually means 2" or so. I think they look stupid in general, but I have a 46" chest and so they look REALLY bad on me. The slimmest tie I've worn was 3", and it was madras with a casual linen suit. I usually go 3.5" or bigger.

Haven't tried anything by Hermes, usually out of my budget and the whole "cutesy animal print" thing doesn't really do it for me. Got a bunch by Paul Smith, Altea, Brooks Brothers, then a random grab bag of other makers.

I need a grenadine silk tie but they're so damned expensive J Press had them on sale for like $65 and I missed it.

I haven't been wearing ties all summer, work is more casual and it's so damn hot here. I miss it though, ties are fun.

I would never do the actual "skinny" tie thing - reason I said skinnier than the norm
Ties are very fun. I want to do bow ties though.
__________________
b35b36db324a18b072d431f4fbb833d1 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:46 PM tegandje is offline  
Reply With Quote
#96  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by andje View Post
I would never do the actual "skinny" tie thing - reason I said skinnier than the norm
Ties are very fun. I want to do bow ties though.

I loved wearing a bow tie with a tux but I'm a little hesitant to wear one normally. I like the idea but I dunno if I'd ever end up actually taking it out for a spin.a
Old 07-30-2010, 11:11 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#97  

huxley
Don't respond to me, I can't read your posts :(
 
huxley's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
yay for solid shirts

how are you not modeling for these companies, I have no idea.
__________________
6274a57bd8dbf1997e6de7df2fbed1da
Old 07-31-2010, 01:22 AM huxley is offline  
Reply With Quote
#98  

Forever Domon
 
Forever Domon's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by huxley View Post
how are you not modeling for these companies, I have no idea.
his face isnt pretty enough.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:26 AM Forever Domon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#99  

elsrijk
 
One thing I see alot which I think is wrong is wearing a tie with a button down collar, or even worse and normal collar and no tie.

Tie and tie pin is absolutely fine.
Button down collar no tie is great
Tie and conventional collar is fine.

My reasons:

Tie and button collar says that you can't keep your windsor knot in place and can't afford a tie pin.

Unbottoned normal colour and no tie says that you are at the end of a hard day and have had enough. Either way it looks slovenly.

Button down collars tend to be on casual shirts, and you shouldn't be wearing those for business/formal occasion.

To me it is a bit like wearing mixed uniform in the military, which I know from my Father (Royal Naval Officer) that you must never do.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:52 AM elsrijk is offline  
Reply With Quote
#100  

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you
 
Vendetta's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by huxley View Post
how are you not modeling for these companies, I have no idea.

shit I haven't done any modeling in years...and now I'm getting old mate I turn 28 in two months

edit: although looking at old pics, I haven't changed much

Last edited by Vendetta; 07-31-2010 at 07:57 AM..
Old 07-31-2010, 07:46 AM Vendetta is offline  
Reply With Quote
#101  

Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsrijk View Post
One thing I see alot which I think is wrong is wearing a tie with a button down collar, or even worse and normal collar and no tie.

Tie and tie pin is absolutely fine.
Button down collar no tie is great
Tie and conventional collar is fine.

My reasons:

Tie and button collar says that you can't keep your windsor knot in place and can't afford a tie pin.

Unbottoned normal colour and no tie says that you are at the end of a hard day and have had enough. Either way it looks slovenly.

Button down collars tend to be on casual shirts, and you shouldn't be wearing those for business/formal occasion.

To me it is a bit like wearing mixed uniform in the military, which I know from my Father (Royal Naval Officer) that you must never do.

Button down collar oxford cloth shirts with a tie is a classic American look. I wouldn't do it with a suit, but it's fine with an odd jacket. Maybe not something people would do in Europe.

Normal collar and no tie is basically a nod to informality. It isn't technically correct, but if you're in a venue where a tie would be overkill, it can work.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:40 AM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#102  

Lewism1987
High 5, down low, 2 slow!
 
Lewism1987's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
shit I haven't done any modeling in years...and now I'm getting old mate I turn 28 in two months

edit: although looking at old pics, I haven't changed much

You're not that good looking, asshole
Old 07-31-2010, 12:04 PM Lewism1987 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#103  

LegalMaven
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Button down collar oxford cloth shirts with a tie is a classic American look. I wouldn't do it with a suit, but it's fine with an odd jacket. Maybe not something people would do in Europe.

It's a very classic American look. It has very specific connotations, though none of them are really bad.
__________________
My Dodge Dart offers me elemental solace, and as interior parts fall off I am struck by the realization of their pointlessness. I might not know if the window is up or down. It is of no consequence

bacf17acd5a8e3724da300df7aa223
Old 07-31-2010, 06:17 PM LegalMaven is offline  
Reply With Quote
#104  

Scatman
 
Scatman's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by domonbaylespam View Post
his face isnt pretty enough.
something something girly little calves something something
__________________
Code:[M]ayhem: Owned.
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=804869

"I'm gonna be rich and famous one day when I invent
a device that can be used to stab someone in the
face over the Internet."
Old 07-31-2010, 09:30 PM Scatman is offline  
Reply With Quote
#105  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.