General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
I thought us Americans weren't supposed to be afraid of other religions. I thought us Americans were supposed to be the better people and do what's right.

The 'sacred ground' argument doesn't really hold up when nobody's protesting the stores and strip clubs we have across the street from the proposed mosque. The whole "forward operations base for extremists" argument is just pathetic when we already have muslims doing services/prayer in the pentagon a hundred feet or so from where a plane hit on 9/11.

This wasn't an issue (even on Fox FFS) until some right wing dingbat marked the mosque as some jab in the eye of Americans and turned what was nothing into some huge controversy.

all arguments aside it is simply not tactful and was bound to brew a shitstorm, i don't really see how any one can argue otherwise. you don't have to have agree that is insulting, but on the other hand i can't see how others can not acknowledge the fact that it can very easily be perceived as unnecessarily "pushing it".

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

teh scud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
all arguments aside it is simply not tactful, i don't really see how any one can argue otherwise.

You're putting blame on people unrelated to 9/11. They shouldn't feel guilty for what a few crazies did.

SemperFly

Quote:
it dates back to when they were still bedouins in the desert and the left hand was used to wipe and other hygienically related purposes, obviously it had an application in 7th century arabian peninsula, still clinging to it now is fucking stupid and worthless with the advent of toilet paper. it is thus a silly useless superstition.

god damn you're a huge fucking retard.

that's not a superstition, you dumb fucknuggle it's also not specific to muslims

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
it's not 70% and there's no need to find a compromise because the only reason to oppose this comes from an asinine and emotional association between terrorists and one and a half billion muslims

I suppose doing basic research on the topic is just too much for you to handle, isn't it? Here, I'll do your fucking job for you.

Quote:
According to the new survey out Wednesday, nearly 70 percent of all Americans oppose the controversial plan to build the mosque just blocks away from the solemn site in lower Manhattan while just 29 percent favor the construction.
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...r-ground-zero/

Satisfied? Or is CNN too "racist" and/or "biased" for you to give any credence to that?

Thanks for coming out.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
no one younger than 70 is watching news in those time slots. saying one turd stinks less than the others doesn't make it smell like roses.

Ratings are ratings, and he's still drawing audiences more than anyone else on his time slot. According to you, people under 70 don't watch the news, I guess.

Tom Kazansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiferguy View Post
If you actually watch that, all Beck does is say "lol you're dumb, no one is even listening to you, we're doing you a favor by playing this on our show" and doesn't attack the real argument that Olbermann put out.

My point is they're cut from the same cloth. Beck could have written it in a style that would give Shakespere a boner, and I guarantee all you'd say is "lol, Glenn Beck" anyway.

teh scud

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
I suppose doing basic research on the topic is just too much for you to handle, isn't it? Here, I'll do your fucking job for you.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...r-ground-zero/

Satisfied? Or is CNN too "racist" and/or "biased" for you to give any credence to that?

Thanks for coming out.

which conflicts with a variety of other surveys on the issue and still doesn't fucking matter what 70% of the people have to say. no one gives two shits and a half what 700 douchebags have to say

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

multiple polls on the same question doesn't exactly mirror each other verbatim, but in this case do not deviate from each other enough to be statistically significant?

you don't fucking say.

SemperFly

20% is statistically significant

teh scud

Apparently 1 in 3 republicans also think Obama is a Muslim -- sometimes polls just expose how uneducated/stupid some people are. I do not think 70% would oppose the mosque if they were more educated on the matter.

5ive

Quote:
i probably have more muslims friends than everyone in this thread combined. none have personally told me i'm going to hell, not directly, but they certainly hinted at it. from the conversations i have with even the more liberal ones, i get the feeling that their beliefs are very deep seated and not open to compromise. every single time.

So how does this make them different than religious Christians? I know tons of people who privately think I'm going to hell but have never told me directly, not to mention that they're also not willing to compromise their beliefs. But none of this suggests that either group wants to destroy the constitution and institute religious law, so I'm not sure where you're getting this idea (from Muslims you know, at least) that Muslims are out to destroy us. I mean, my Jordanian wears a hijab and is very observant, but she also has a husband who works for the Secret Service and raised two children here and doesn't plan on leaving this country. Oh, and she votes -- she in fact voted for W Bush (in the 2000 election lul).

Quote:
the elderly muslim man who lives across the street from me says hi every time i see him, occasionally i wave to him with my left hand by mistake and i automatically see his expression change. got to remember to only wave with my right hand so as not to offend his idiotic superstitious beliefs...
Did he grow up in another country? It's more likely that waving the right hand is equivalent to flipping someone off than it is a religious superstition.
Member #5 of the Romeoz God R.I.P Collective

teh scud

Quote:
So what you're basically saying is Glenn Beck is completely different simply because you don't agree with his opinions, but agree with Olbermann's?
I watched the clip and didn't hear any opinions from Beck. Just ad hominem attacks (in over six minutes, he just repeated two jabs at Olbermann). I was actually expecting some commentary on the topic at hand later on in the clip... but nope -- all he did was talk about ratings.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
So how does this make them different than religious Christians?
devout muslims outnumber devout christians, no one really takes christianity seriously any more, it's influence in the day to day lives of westerners is waning, where as islam and particularly the sunni sect is as strong and cohesive as ever. i really don't think the latter is a particularly good thing.

Quote:
Did he grow up in another country? It's more likely that waving the right hand is equivalent to flipping someone off than it is a religious superstition.
the stigma attached to the left hand is more rooted in scripture from the hadith and koran than it is in some stupid societal convention such as the middle finger.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Beck's ratings are stupidly high. As a matter of fact, he's the highest on his time slot when compared to all other news stations. He's got higher ratings than CNN, MSNBC, and HLN combined.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/ratings/

yeah, he rules that 5PM time slot. but compared to anything outside the "news" category his ratings aren't really impressive at all. and orielly and hannity regularly beat him as well.

the sunday night cartoons on fox destroy all the fox news talkers combined in ratings.

Quote:
So what you're basically saying is Glenn Beck is completely different simply because you don't agree with his opinions, but agree with Olbermann's?

Really? Did you watch both? Olbermann may be a bit theatrical with his outrage but at least he doesn't have vicks vaporub induced fake weeping spells on camera. And really, he generally has a point. Often a pretty good one, though I do disagree with his special comments from time to time. Beck didn't even have a point there except to call olbermann a Shakespearian actor and to laud his own ratings. He couldn't even come up with a rebuttal, he just acted like a retarded spoiled child.

Sure, they are both biased commentators but really, that's where the similarities would seem to end.