General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

endscape

My first AR - RRA LAR-15 Elite Operator

$1000 out the door with 3 mags (2 that are suspect, 1 P Mag), crappy RRA case, and a 30mm scope mount.

Stripped it down, cleaned and lubed it. Got my range membership shortly thereafter and put 300 rounds through it. I LOVE it. I'm afraid I've picked up a new addiction. Getting my concealed permit tomorrow, then back to the shop to pick up the 1911 I've been coveting. There's also a slightly used CMMG that's been well outfitted with Magpul gear that I'm considering.

Next up: optics. Opinions? I'd like to be effective out to about 300 yards, as that's as far as this range allows. And a safe, I need a safe.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Nice. I like my RRA basic AR kit.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

As for optics, maybe an EOtech with a 3x magnifier?

endscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post
As for optics, maybe an EOtech with a 3x magnifier?

Its either that or an ACOG. The range I frequent is thinking about opening up a 1000 yard alley, but that will require a different gun I think. I could just get a couple of lowers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
Nice. I like my RRA basic AR kit.

I <3 it. I wasn't planning on buying anything locally, but the shop I went to sold me on it. They really knew their stuff, and I always like supporting local shops. There's a CMMG that's all kitted out with Magpul gear that might find its way to my house as well if its still there tomorrow.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

If you're only going to be shooting to 300, an ACOG is seriously overkill, IMO. And it will be a hindrance at most all ranges you will actually fire that rifle at (close range)

This is a magazine out of my M4 with Eotech. About a 3rd of the shots were slow aimed, another 3rd were fired a bit more quickly, and then I just opened up with the last few.

I'm not saying this is a great shot group, but at 50 yards with no magnification, considering I wasn't really going for the tightest group possible, it isn't bad. And with no magnification, it means it can get the job doen.

With a magnifier and a little care, there's no reason why you couldn't do similar 300m groups.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

I second the eotech. when I screw around and let off a few rounds on different targets as fast as I can it always seems like it is reading my mind and sends the bullets where I want them. The AR platform probably helps too, but yeah.

I'm thinking of getting a nice ACOG for my backup AR but that's because I already have an Eotech on my primary.

Typhoon43

My buddy has an ACOG and it's effing sick, but to be honest, I'll stick with my Eotech. At 100 yards it's damn hard to even see the 6" stick on tagets we had on paper plates, but I was still able to hit it decently. A flip up magnifier is my next purchase for sure. Go Eotech and see how you like it. You can always step up to an ACOG later.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon43 View Post
My buddy has an ACOG and it's effing sick, but to be honest, I'll stick with my Eotech. At 100 yards it's damn hard to even see the 6" stick on tagets we had on paper plates, but I was still able to hit it decently. A flip up magnifier is my next purchase for sure. Go Eotech and see how you like it. You can always step up to an ACOG later.

ACOGs are awesome... but I think a bit overkill for how most people will actually shoot their ARs. For a SDM (squad designated marksman) an ACOG makes sense on a M16A4. For civilian use for most AR-15s and M4s, they really are not as useful, IMO

endscape

EOtech/ Aimpoint + magnifier seems to be the way to go from what you guys have said and what I've been reading. Shopping shall commence immediately.

I'll invest in an ACOG down the road. I've got 5 bare lowers on the way, I'll do a build thread when I start putting them together. I also signed up for some classes at my range, I figure they cant hurt right?

I'm also case shopping, since the POS RRA case that came with this thing is already fucked up. Any suggestions?

Caelum

I used a 2 rifle case from bass pro. Maybe like $40 or so. Works well. When open and laying flat on a range bench it can fit my 2 ARs my buddies AR and his m1a and our pistols. But with all that shit in there its heavy as fuck. Well....heavy....relatively as fuck
But I'm looking at now this one here for a range bag.
http://www.castlerocktactical.com/crt_dc16.htm

But there are a bajillion cases out there

endscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelum View Post
I used a 2 rifle case from bass pro. Maybe like $40 or so. Works well. When open and laying flat on a range bench it can fit my 2 ARs my buddies AR and his m1a and our pistols. But with all that shit in there its heavy as fuck. Well....heavy....relatively as fuck
But I'm looking at now this one here for a range bag.
http://www.castlerocktactical.com/crt_dc16.htm

But there are a bajillion cases out there

Indeed. I'm leaning towards a Pelican hard case at the moment. That + hot wire foam cutter should do me up nicely.

Caelum

Pelican is of course fantastic. But my buddy and I go to the range often and I only have the one case for all my shit and I don't like to leave stuff at home unlocked. So that's why I'M leaning towards a one gun light weight case.

Pelicans IMO are awesome, but, they're real expensive and if you're doing some serious transit or you're leaving your case unattended a lot and you need it to be super duper locked then go with them. Otherwise its overkill IMO.
We had our M82 in Iraq in a pelican and we moved it in and out of vehicles multiple times a day. But those were tactical vehicles where comfort is lower than low on priorities and the case got banged up. And we eventually left the case in the hooch and put it on its bipod in a 7 ton cause the case was so much overkill
But if its going from house to car trunk to range bench...do you really need pelican?

I mean, its your money so do what you want, just something to consider

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

get a pelican 1750

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

Not to hijack, but can someone tell me anything about the EOTech XPS vs the 512?

The XPS is "on sale" at the same price, so I'm not sure which would be ideal.

http://www.botachtactical.com/eotechxps.html

http://www.botachtactical.com/eo512ho.html

There's also the 516 but I don't see the point in the extra money.

endscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelum View Post
Pelican is of course fantastic. But my buddy and I go to the range often and I only have the one case for all my shit and I don't like to leave stuff at home unlocked. So that's why I'M leaning towards a one gun light weight case.

Pelicans IMO are awesome, but, they're real expensive and if you're doing some serious transit or you're leaving your case unattended a lot and you need it to be super duper locked then go with them. Otherwise its overkill IMO.
We had our M82 in Iraq in a pelican and we moved it in and out of vehicles multiple times a day. But those were tactical vehicles where comfort is lower than low on priorities and the case got banged up. And we eventually left the case in the hooch and put it on its bipod in a 7 ton cause the case was so much overkill
But if its going from house to car trunk to range bench...do you really need pelican?

I mean, its your money so do what you want, just something to consider

You make a very good point, thanks! I dont think I need super locking capabilities, as I dont like to leave my guns unattended. A soft case or a range bag might do me just as well. However, I am finding Pelican's for under $200, and that isn't bad.

Now my debate is Aimpoint vs Eotech, I'll post that up later for your thoughts.