General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

T-Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
I was skeptical about these at first, but I got a package deal on two mags and the loader at a gun show and the loader kicks ass. From empty loader and mag I can get a full mag in about 20 seconds.

yeah i thought you had one last time we were out, hopefully i can find my 25 round mag by the time we go out shooting again

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Misfit View Post
My 10/22 is pretty much stock, I only have a Bushnell Sportsman 3-12x40 on it. I'm planning on putting a Nordic or ArcAngel kit on it sometime, and probably an 18" green mountain barrel.

Green moutain and Tacsol are definately my goto barrels for the 10/22. VQs tend to be more expensive for very little improvement.

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit

I'll get around to posting a pic of mine one of these days.

It has a TacSol SBX Barrel, BSA cheapo scope, and suppressed with a Liberty Suppressors Shoofly can.

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET

Gandalf

So how is this gun for for a guy who's looking to learn to shoot/hunt some squirrel/rabbit next season? I've also seen a lot said about the Marlin 22s, any major differences?

Social Misfit
pwned

Marlins are dirt cheap and more accurate in their stock form. 10/22's are great if you want to sink $4-600 more than the price of the gun upgrading them. I own both, and just learning to shoot I would definately go Marlin, you can get a good used rifle for around $80. Another $80 for optics and you should have a tack driver, you'll have to spend around $200 alone on a 10/22 with no scope to get anything decent.

Gearhead
god of welders and keeper of the magical torch

Quote:
Marlins are dirt cheap and more accurate in their stock form. 10/22's are great if you want to sink $4-600 more than the price of the gun upgrading them. I own both, and just learning to shoot I would definately go Marlin, you can get a good used rifle for around $80. Another $80 for optics and you should have a tack driver, you'll have to spend around $200 alone on a 10/22 with no scope to get anything decent.

The ruger is going to outlast the marlin though.

Zombie Outbreak Response Team: Urban Division

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:

Marlin does the microgrooves which tend to take more of a beating. I have more fouling issues with the marlins too. If I were going to have a single 10/22 it would definately be a 10/22T with the factory .960 barrel and an appropriate optic. It doesnt take much

If I wasnt planning on suppressing down extremely low a 10/22T might be the only .22lr if I was put in a position where I could only have 1. It really is a fantastic rifle. If you want the quietest .22 you can get suppressed a 77/22 or one of the CZ line is very hard to beat.

Chilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
The ruger is going to outlast the marlin though.

IMO the 10/22 is the AK47 of the .22 caliber, I clean mine about once a year (if that) and it hasn't given me problems. I've had it for 10-12 years now.

Gandalf

So what are the 'must' upgrades that I'll need to bring the 10/22 up to par with its Marlin counterpart?

I see that generally the stock Marlin is about $100 cheaper than the Ruger...

Social Misfit
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
IMO the 10/22 is the AK47 of the .22 caliber, I clean mine about once a year (if that) and it hasn't given me problems. I've had it for 10-12 years now.

If thats the case then the Marlin is the Mosin Nagant of the .22's. Mine is a Model 75 carbine with no serial number, my grandpa bought it new back in the late 60's. I alone have shot probably 30,000 rounds through it in my lifetime and before that there is no telling how many, the bore still looks brand new. Only maintenance I do is tear it down every 1000 or so rounds and clean it out, but I shoot bulk ammo by the brick so it gets dirty quick. With the new stock I put on it I expect it to last another 40 years.

Social Misfit
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
So what are the 'must' upgrades that I'll need to bring the 10/22 up to par with its Marlin counterpart?

I see that generally the stock Marlin is about $100 cheaper than the Ruger...

Barrel, trigger group at least.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

The Ruger does have a pretty crappy trigger

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
If thats the case then the Marlin is the Mosin Nagant of the .22's.

I love my bolt action marlin 22 winmag. First gun I ever bought.

Social Misfit
pwned

Oops

Last edited by Social Misfit; 03-25-2010 at 08:38 PM..

Social Misfit
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post

I love my bolt action marlin 22 winmag. First gun I ever bought.

I was talking about the Model 60 and it's variants. I too used to have a .22 Win Mag Marlin bolt, but my stupid ass pawned it to buy a gift for my girlfriend (now wife, musta did something right)...Wish i'd have kept that old rifle, would make a heck of a coyote gun now that I live out in the boonies.

My babies, notice one of very few tricked out Marlin's.