General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

DHermit
www.TShirtReview.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greg View Post
Urban Legend.

I had a friend just recently purchase a suppressor in FL and he had them come and showed them his safe. Are you sure? Maybe it depends on who the local agent is and if he's lazy?

Also, he said I should set up a Trust for each suppressor I plan to purchase, then you can just sell the Trust as a whole for each one if I want to sell them. Also, he said that I cannot purchase it as in individual because the Sheriff of Orlando has a perfect record of refusing to sign on any of that kind of stuff, and that's why you do the Trust as it's a loophole. You can also use a corp but he didn't recommend that route and that would require upkeep costs.Lastly, he said that I should look at a used one since they get better over time, not worse? I asked about cleaning and he said the opposite of what I've read here before I think, he said you don't want to clean them often? I'm wondering if he had a lot of his facts wrong (but he used to work at a gun shop for a while and his room mate has a whole bunch of suppressed and class 3 stuff, so I trusted him.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHermit View Post
I had a friend just recently purchase a suppressor in FL and he had them come and showed them his safe. Are you sure? Maybe it depends on who the local agent is and if he's lazy?

I took "they" in your post as ATF. If your friend went for the CLEO signoff on a NFA application, the CLEO can demand whatever they want to before signing. At the Federal level, though, there is no "inspection" requirement. Nor do you have to submit to random searches, etc. Lots of false info about NFA stuff.

Quote:
Also, he said I should set up a Trust for each suppressor I plan to purchase, then you can just sell the Trust as a whole for each one if I want to sell them.
...you can't "sell" a Trust. It's like a will.

Theoretically, having NFA items on a Corporation, then selling the Corp, is plausible. Still, the paperwork on such a deal would be enormous, and I wouldn't want to even deal with the ATF hassle.

What NFA items would you sell? Suppressors lose roughly 50% of their market value with the first shot through them, so reselling them is almost worthless.

Quote:
Also, he said that I cannot purchase it as in individual because the Sheriff of Orlando has a perfect record of refusing to sign on any of that kind of stuff, and that's why you do the Trust as it's a loophole.
Not a loophole, just an easy method thanks to the text of the NFA.

Quote:
Lastly, he said that I should look at a used one since they get better over time, not worse? I asked about cleaning and he said the opposite of what I've read here before I think, he said you don't want to clean them often? I'm wondering if he had a lot of his facts wrong (but he used to work at a gun shop for a while and his room mate has a whole bunch of suppressed and class 3 stuff, so I trusted him.

Yeah, this last bit (which is pretty much 100% wrong), coupled with the "selling trusts" bit earlier in the post, are evident that he doesn't have many of his facts straight. Lurk on SilencerTalk or AR15.com's NFA forums, both frequently separate fact from fiction on NFA stuff.

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET